Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul H
    replied
    A couple of points. Personally I think the windage adjustable bases are a poor design. If the scope mount screws are that far off on an action, a screwey base design isn't the solution.

Second point, the scope is not to be used for torqueing the front ring into position. Not sure if this was done or not, but it certainly can damage a scope.

Third the scope flopping around with a loose rear base will also promote damage to the scope.

I'd recomend sending the scope to Leupold to have it checked out, they are excellent about repairs.

I'd also go with a better ring base/design, the dual dovetail leupies are good, ie the front and rear are of the same design, the weavers and copies of weavers are good, and talley makes a neat one piece base/ring setup. To me a good design has as few parts as possible, and the talleys win in that regard.

A properly mounted good scope should be easy to dial in. If you're having base and or scope problems, it will lead to agrivation.

Leave a comment:

• Murphy
    replied
    Scope problem..

Originally posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I was talking with a good friend this evening and I mentioned my problems sighting in my 300RUM and Leupold VXII. He told me that he has had the same problems in a previous rifle. The problem was the scope was mounted incorrectly on the rifle.

He said, instead of his windage screw on the scope being mounted horiztonally they were mounted vertically as if they were the up and down screws, and the same with his windage screws. Does that make sense?

I think this is my problem with my ghost like scope. Comments?
    W/G,

Well. Interesting. I think I ask this question back a ways, is the scope rotated 90 degrees. The Leupold cross hair is supposed to show on the left side I believe.

I worked for three different gun shops before I moved to AK and most of my work was remounting scopes sold and "mounted for free" by the likes of the big box outlet chain outdoor stores. About half of them were mounted with the windage turret up. A few were mounted backwards! Since I've been in Fairbanks, I don't do much scoping here but through friends or friends of friends, I get some scope mounting and remounting. Since SW came to town I've remounted 8 scopes from there and five of them were mounted with the windage and elevation turrets reversed. The R/L turret goes on the side, the U/D turret goes on the top. They will work mounted that way but the R=U and the U=R, for most scopes.

I have mounted two scopes rotated this way to allow the empty brass to eject without hitting the turret and fall back into the action. My recommendation for them was ditch the rifle but you know how some folks are.

Leave a comment:

• Kurt S
    replied
    WG,

Went to the range last friday and ran some loads through my 7mm. This is a new leopold 3x9 40 scope and it worked fine. I was thinking as I adjusted it the first time,....don't let my scope have the waterg virus..lol. Up was up, down was down and the left right was as it should be. You have a very strange thing going on. Have you put a bore sighter in it and looked at the movement? Might want to do that if you haven't. Should confirm whats going on ...or not.

Kurt

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    I was talking with a good friend this evening and I mentioned my problems sighting in my 300RUM and Leupold VXII. He told me that he has had the same problems in a previous rifle. The problem was the scope was mounted incorrectly on the rifle.

He said, instead of his windage screw on the scope being mounted horiztonally they were mounted vertically as if they were the up and down screws, and the same with his windage screws. Does that make sense?

I think this is my problem with my ghost like scope. Comments?

Leave a comment:

• Kurt S
    replied
    Not that old. On muzzle brakes, Accuracy Arms has a nice one. I had them replace the triggers on both my 7mm and 338, huge improvement over the originals.

kurt

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    This scope is about 6 years old

Leave a comment:

• Kurt S
    replied
    Originally posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I am interested to hear comments on this post.

If springs are the major components for adjusting the recticle could mine be slipping and then jumping back into place when I am at the range? This would explain my noob theory.
    Hi WG,

I've been reading your posts, interesting problem....and starting to sound like one I've been having.
    Here's my problem: I put a Leupold 3X9 on my Ruger 7mm almost 30 years ago. I came up with an excellent load early on and haven't changed the load OR the scope setting in all this time. Recently, I ran out of my old powder and it's no longer the same formula . The newer version is quite different and required some tinkering and..a resighting in of the scope. When I change the drift or elevation, it takes a few rounds to respond, ie it finally jerks into the new setting. I think it's been in one setting too long and no longer smoothly moves.
    The other issue I have is the scope, when set as far back in the rings as it will go, makes contact with the barrel, so I have to move it a bit forward to give it a 1/16th clearance. As I have aged...dont' we all, my eyesight wants it further back, just can't get it. So, I looked into a taller ring. I had a local shop get a set, but they turned out to be sloppy on the rear mount, and forced the scope enough to one side to allow no adj in that direction.
    Thinking it may be the scope (issues there) they put on a new Leupold to check it. Same problem, but an interesting thing....the new scopes front end is of smaller diameter than the old one, same make and model. This allows plenty of clearance at the barrel and I can use my old rings.
    So, I bought the new scope, and will send the old one in to Leupold and have it fixed...what I'll do with it then...I don't know.
    How old is that scope of yours?

Kurt

ps Murphy, good refresher for us guys that don't do this often enough!

Leave a comment:

• Rufus
    replied
    Gimble

Probably a loose gimble (gimbel), not sure of the spelling.

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    Originally posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    Could it be a problem with the springs in the scope? Something slipping or binding? I am correct when I think that when you adjust the scope, you are actually putting more or less tension on a spring? (unless it is a Burris posi-lok) Or am I all goofed up?

I am interested to hear comments on this post.

If springs are the major components for adjusting the recticle could mine be slipping and then jumping back into place when I am at the range? This would explain my noob theory.

Leave a comment:

• GreginAlaska
    replied
    Could it be a problem with the springs in the scope? Something slipping or binding? I am correct when I think that when you adjust the scope, you are actually putting more or less tension on a spring? (unless it is a Burris posi-lok) Or am I all goofed up?

Leave a comment:

• AKRoadkill
    replied
    If your scope is changing direction, I'd definitely send it back and have 'em fix it. Chances are, they'll jusy send you a new one. I sent one in once (Vari-X III, well used) and had a new one in within 3 weeks. I'd use Burris Signature or Talley rings and bases. I'd normally recommend Leupold rings too, but it doesn't look like they held up too well for you.

Leave a comment:

• Adventures
    replied
    WG

Here's a tip for sending to Leupold. Send it priority mail (FEDEX) and you will get it back in under a week. If you send it regualr mail it will get put in line with everything else and they will send it back the same way you sent it to them. could take a month or better.
    I have really good luck if I send them something fedex.

I'm not quite getting the click movement thing.
    My scopes all have the same adjustments and if you want to move left it has a little arrow that says left and if you turn it the direction of the arrow that is the direction the bullet goes the next time I pull the trigger. None of this is opposite on my scopes. All are leupold VX-III's

I also use the benchmaster and we also added a steel weight to the ftont base that weights about 20lbs we made ourselves. real helps keep the thing in place. And I see no difference between that and the sandbags if I'm shooting from them. I take a breath, squeeze the trigger and bullet placement is where I expect it. (which is generally somewhere within about 8-12" of the dot............ just kidding)

Also, make sure you don't shoot too many rounds and get your barrel hot, your accuracy may start to go away. three shot groups like Murphy suggested is a good idea, and some have aslo told me to clean the gun inbetween groups (which i'm not so good at staying on top of)

Anyways, hope this helps.
    Justin

Leave a comment:

• Snowwolfe
    replied
    Easy fix really. Have the scope repaired or replaced. Remove the bases and reinstall some new ones. If it were me I would opt for Weavers since they are bullet proof. If you do not like weavers I would buy the base that has the fewest parts possible, and that means canning any base with the adjustable windage screw.
    Don't forget your 300 RUM has some serious recoil and this makes it even more difficult to sight in.

Leave a comment:

• AKmud
    replied
    Spooky....

Sounds to me like your scope is haunted! I'd try sending it back to Leupold and try to explain the problem in as much detail as you can and hope that their bench techs can observe the same problem. Physically though, I don't see how the reticle can change direction like that without some other factors being applied.

Weird!

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    Let me start over, after re-reading my posts again I think I should clarify. It was late and I was getting tired.

A month ago my 300 ultra mag had Leupold rings with the rear windage screw. I had constant problems with the windage screws working themselves loose after a couple of rounds. Also I could not keep the bases tight. Here are pictures of each ring when I removed the scope to check for loose bases.

I replaced these rings and bases with Leupolds dual dove tails a couple of weeks ago. After 100 or so rounds with the dovetails everything has held tight and snug. I see no apparent problems with the new rings or bases.

The benchmaster is not a sled bed type setup. The front of the barrel is in no way clamped to the rifle rest, it simply sits on top of an oblong bean bag. The rear has a U shaped holding bracket with a strap that follows directly behind the butt of the rifle. Most of the recoil hits me in the shoulder, but I am sure some of the recoil is reduced by the rubber feet. Here is a picture of the rest. This is not my rifle in the picture and the rest is almost identical.

Last night I placed my 300 in my rifle rest, put the lazer bore sight in the chamber and played with the up/down/left/right turret for the reticle. At first when I turned the turret up the reticle when down like it is suppose to. The windage screws yeilded the same result, when I turned the turret right the reticle would move left.

This is where it got interesting. A few minutes later I tried this all over again. When I turned the turret up the reticle went up instead of down. When I adjusted it down the reticle went down. But when I turned the turret it to the left the reticle went right, like it is suppose to.

Again I take a break and think I am making an error somewhere. Back to the scope again. This time the up and down for the reticle are working properly, up is moving the reticle down, and down is moving the reticle up. Now when I adjust the windage turret left click adjustments is moving the reticle left, right clicks move the reticle right.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is there any possible internal problem scopes can acquire that would cause a problem such as reticle adjustment problems. This rifle has not seen much action either. I have not had a chance to take it on many hunting trips, and most of the rounds fired from this rifle have been at the range. After I get home from the range I clean the barrel thoroughly until my wet patches come out completely white.

I do not have a muzzle break but I have been thinking about the wild west guns muzzle break.
    Last edited by Water_Gremlin; 09-29-2006, 13:54.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X