Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beartooth View Post
    About once every 3rd time I go to the range make sure I shoot 5 one quart plastic oil bottles, fill them with water, have my wife or grandson say go and time me shooting the five bottles standing with one of my bolt action rifles I carry in the mountains. Practice is not done nor is it over unless I get all five under 20 seconds and I prefer under 15 seconds. I usually do it the first time. Every once in a while I have to try it twice.
    BT, that's impressive, a lot better than I could do. Which reminds me of a story I think my best shooting in the field was when I was antelope hunting. My partner and I snuck up on a herd of antelope on openng morning before sun-up. We got to within about 60-70 yds which is real good for antelope. Lay of the land, grass, sage and wind were in our favor. We picked our targets and aggreed to fire on count of "3". 1, 2, bang, my first goat falls. Up off my knee rechambering 2nd round, I was focused, "in the zone", with my Ruger M77 7mm RM topped with a B&L scope with 2 1/2" of relief, I swung through the second goat that had accelerated to full speed, maybe 50-55 mph, and 90-100yds away, just like I would a bird and led by a body length... bang, goat crumbles and piles up. The bullet hits mid body, just behind last rib. I'm guessing about 5-6 secconds bewen shots. Oh well... those were my younger days when there was less resistance to the blood flowing in my viens, and I was a little more cocky and my eyesight was a little better
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
      BT, that's impressive, a lot better than I could do. Which reminds me of a story I think my best shooting in the field was when I was antelope hunting. My partner and I snuck up on a herd of antelope on openng morning before sun-up. We got to within about 60-70 yds which is real good for antelope. Lay of the land, grass, sage and wind were in our favor. We picked our targets and aggreed to fire on count of "3". 1, 2, bang, my first goat falls. Up off my knee rechambering 2nd round, I was focused, "in the zone", with my Ruger M77 7mm RM topped with a B&L scope with 2 1/2" of relief, I swung through the second goat that had accelerated to full speed, maybe 50-55 mph, and 90-100yds away, just like I would a bird and led by a body length... bang, goat crumbles and piles up. The bullet hits mid body, just behind last rib. I'm guessing about 5-6 secconds bewen shots. Oh well... those were my younger days when there was less resistance to the blood flowing in my viens, and I was a little more cocky and my eyesight was a little better
      Younger days were fun, and as long as I can walk, or get out to the woods, plain on having some more fun days :cool:
      A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
      THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
      THE HEART OF A CHILD
      THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

yep

I didn't mind moving to the big city because I have been working and living in big cities for about 15 years now.....I moved from Denver...anchorage ain't big, and Colorado don't have Dall Sheep!

Dogs at Roundup - I mostly hunted my ex-father in laws property he had 18 sections north of roundup. Most of the ranchers farmers will let you shoot em if you ask - though some are finding the market in it and charging a fee!

My best shot - nobody will believe me, but here goes. Shot 1/2 of the head off a running tom turkey at 283 yards - I had just sprinted up a coulee (for real) - and rested on a jack pine trunk for the shot. That was with my .300. I knew I would hit him - and I knew I would hit him in the head. I was trying to hit him in the head as there ain't much left of a turkey when you smack them with a 180 grain ballistic tip bullet in the body. It was my best shot ever. I had 2 witnesses with me. One had my 12 guage and 1 had my .22 - they had circled the flock of 13 large tom gobblebirds - and the birds outsmarted them.

I can still see the toms heading out across the alfalfa field - with the last one in my scope as they crested the field - heading for the next coulee - his head bobbin up and down just under the crosshairs - you could actually see how his head was sittin when the boollit hit him - it took out just the bullet's path on half his head - he was floppin in the scope. Frankly - I couldn't believe it. I had shot the heads off of a few turkeys with my .300 and an old 30.06..and I had a buddy who shot many in the head with his 22.250 - - but that running bird I will always remember.

BTW - it is legal to shoot turkeys with a rifle in MT in the fall, so don't get on your high horse just yet. I much prefer bowhunting them to the call nowdays - - but if you want to impress your hunting buds - top a big ole gobbler with your .300 now and then as it makes for a good yarn over a cold drink!

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X