Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muley

I shot a muley doe in Montana about 18 years ago - I had just got done jogging up a coulee, was taking a dump next to a sagebrush when I triggered the shot. She was 827 yards on my bushnell 800 range finder.........the wind was blowing sand up my hiney crack also...........that was with my stock browning A-bolt in .300 - - with handloads.

True Story!

Comment

bullelkklr

Ok mr elk killer we need answers?

Were you laying prone, kneeling, leaning against a tree, out of breath while taking this dump?
      How about while you were shooting? tell us the whole story it's hard to believe you dumped her WHILE dumping??
      You don't want to be refered to as Bull%$&*er do you?:eek:
      19' Lowe Roughneck
      90/65 Honda 4 stroke
      Outboard Jet

Comment

This is just to funny man - to funny
        A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
        THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
        THE HEART OF A CHILD
        THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
          I shot a muley doe in Montana about 18 years ago - I had just got done jogging up a coulee, was taking a dump next to a sagebrush when I triggered the shot. She was 827 yards on my bushnell 800 range finder.........the wind was blowing sand up my hiney crack also...........that was with my stock browning A-bolt in .300 - - with handloads.

True Story!
          At the risk of hijacking Beartoth's thread, I am interested in hearing a little more about this shot... Did you have drop charts for that range? What kind of a scope were you using and did you dial in your adjustments or hold on/over with what type of reticle? It sounds like the wind was blowing pretty good too - with the average 300 WM load, a bullet would drift about 48 inches in a 10 mph crosswind.

Not doubting you, but just curious as to the details.
          "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
          ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

I was taught that groups should be measured hole center to hole center. Your group is much less than 1/2 moa!
            I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

Squatting

I was in the squatting position.

Had a wind meter.

I didn't use a scope - scopes are for sissies. I prefer a peep sight.

You ever run up a coulee in Montana - of course I was out of breath.

Not only that, but I had just set my buffalo flask on a cactus and my whiskey was leaking out quick - so I was in a hurry.

I don't believe in bullet drop compensation charts - if you are going to shoot long range you should at least practice at those ranges.

Distance was measured by driving my truck to the downed critter location - then walking back to the shot spot (O my, that was stinking rotten) - and then laser rangefinding the distance.

At the time of the shot I used Kentuck windage - takes lots of practice to know how to do that with any success.

it is okay to sometimes doubt that.......which is read on the internet. Lots of false info on my post - thought it was a wee bit humorous - didn't you?

I have shot deer (and 1 elk) at over 800 yards with my .300 - but I wasn't pooping and the wind wasn't blowing 48mph and I hadn't just got done doing wind sprints in my preperations for the olympics.....

I went through a phase of long distance shooting - thought it was cool......and I reckon it was. It took a lot of practice to get good.

You doubters ever been to a BPCR competition? Ever shoot 1000 yard gongs with a 30.30 that is over a 100 years old with factory ammo? Every shoot prarie dogs at outrageous distances?

I much prefer the 3 yard shot on a curious bull elk in the breaks that I made one late evening nowdays - the sound of a sharp arrow entering and exiting the ribcage beats the heck out of the noise that my BOSS makes while pushing a 180 grain bullet.

My initial yarn was in response to gogoalie's post prior to mine.

Hearyee naysayers - them smoke poles are mighty mighty dangerous in the right hands - kilt bar at more 'an 1000 yards hear tell...........dead too.

I have digressed - and will no longer dissrupt the fine shooting shown here!

Comment

Originally posted by .338-06 View Post
                I was taught that groups should be measured hole center to hole center. Your group is much less than 1/2 moa!
                Yes I know, I just put up the calipers so people can see scale, I also measure outside spread and subtract bore giving me center to hole center. Yes, the group is .226" at a 1/4". This is not the only time this 06 has done this.
                A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                THE HEART OF A CHILD
                THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

Very Funny!

elkkiller;
                  Glad to hear you were joking about the "doe dumping"

However you have brought up some more questions and I realize that this is a question and not a statement as to what you have done.

You doubters ever been to a BPCR competition? Ever shoot 1000 yard gongs with a 30.30 that is over a 100 years old with factory ammo? Every shoot prarie dogs at outrageous distances?
                  I have have never been to any shooting competion other than skeet and 22's. I tried to find balistic charts on the 30-30 but only found them out to 500yds the chart I saw showed nearly a 10' drop if sighted 0 at 200 and had lost over half its velocity, I don't know how to extrapilate trajectories but maybe someone else can I really would be curious just for giggles. I have burned thousands of rounds on praire dogs and am fairly proficient out to about 300yrds I shot with a friend who had an identical rifle to mine and he would sometimes tip one over at nearly 500:eek:
                  19' Lowe Roughneck
                  90/65 Honda 4 stroke
                  Outboard Jet

Comment

Bullelkklr, Your close shot on a bull beats mine which was about 15 yds. It was self defense, I called him in right on top of me and he was between me and my truck.

Great sense of humor, there are a few of long rangers getting together this summer somewhere in Monana to manage prairie dog populations and make big rocks into little rocks for a weekend of shooting and general fun. I anticipate 500 - 1500 yd plus shots I have no doubt you will be welcome at the campfire providing you bring some more stories.

You can even bring a rifle with peep sights and teach all us sissies a couple of things.
                    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
                    ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
                      ... I tried to find balistic charts on the 30-30 ...
                      Here's an online ballistics program that is real easy to use.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx
                      ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

LOL

I have moved to Alaska so won't be able to join. Where in MT are you shooting? I used to shoot them in the Breaks (when it was legal) - and north of Roundup.

I wasn't using peep sights - though I do like them. My .300 has a bushnell 3x9x50 on it - with a big dent on top. Don't know the name of the reticle - pretty standard tho. She is a good shooter. I prefer leupold, but the bushnell has been working fine for 10 years so I have never replaced it - though I have thought about it.

On the 30.30 drop - I can't tell you how much it was - but it was a lot. We had a spotter calling the shots - once you got close then you knew how far to hold it above the gong...same with prarie dogs - on a calm day with a good caller you can whack the little guys a long ways.

I don't have any pix - but I was working in PA getting ready for a horse pack trip to the Bob in MT. I didn't have my reloading equipment and so was trying to dial in some factory rounds.

Many years back - - I was working in Pennsylvania - There was a couple of good ole boys native to PA with this HUGE rifle, custom rounds and handloads. They had a stack of sandwich baggies with sharpie writing filled with 3 cartridges each, they were trying to find their pet load for the beast. They were pretty meticulous with their shooting, cleaning in between every shot, letting their rifle cool down, and finally had decided on their favorite load. They had a mechanical rest with micro adjusters on it, the gun was really too big to hold and shoot - If I recall it was in the 45-50 pound range........

We were shooting next to each other at 200 yards - I was using my custom blue jean legs sewed shut with sand in the for a rest. I shot two five shot groups with factory rounds that were much smaller than their pet load.....they couldn't believe it. I said something about a 100$ scope and a 500$ rifle - stock, showed them my target and drove away laughing at them.

Comment

30-30 drop

On the 30.30 drop - I can't tell you how much it was - but it was a lot. We had a spotter calling the shots - once you got close then you knew how far to hold it above the gong...same with prarie dogs - on a calm day with a good caller you can whack the little guys a long ways.
                          I was able to check it out on line, not knowing bullet weight etc. I could only etimate but the drop is somewhere around 531 inches or about 45 feet. WOW

Regarding close bow shots in the breaks, I know it's depending on where you hunt but where I have been (south side only) you could only see about 3 yards through the willows and always had elk 20 tards away.
                          19' Lowe Roughneck
                          90/65 Honda 4 stroke
                          Outboard Jet

Comment

Maybe it's just my old Military training...

that begged me to ask the questions I did of beartooth, that you should practice in what conditions you're going to hunt in, & rarely do you ever see that at a shooting range...I saw one time, a guy cleaning his rifle bore after EVERY shot...I thought to myself, would you be doing that in a hunting situation? Nah, he wouldn't be...

& don't get me wrong, I love shooting, I miss the rabbit creek rifle range, dang good range...out here, a rucksak makes a bench, either that, the seat of an ATV or snowmachine...

Just to let you know, I tried shooting at 100 yards with my .30-06, sitting & my shots were more open than the Minnesota Viking Offensive line for Adrian Peterson...& this was after my 1" group dead center using a rest...so, for all intents & purposes, beartooths accomplishments are great...

Comment

Originally posted by gogoalie View Post
                              that begged me to ask the questions I did of beartooth, that you should practice in what conditions you're going to hunt in, & rarely do you ever see that at a shooting range...I saw one time, a guy cleaning his rifle bore after EVERY shot...I thought to myself, would you be doing that in a hunting situation? Nah, he wouldn't be...

& don't get me wrong, I love shooting, I miss the rabbit creek rifle range, dang good range...out here, a rucksak makes a bench, either that, the seat of an ATV or snowmachine...

Just to let you know, I tried shooting at 100 yards with my .30-06, sitting & my shots were more open than the Minnesota Viking Offensive line for Adrian Peterson...& this was after my 1" group dead center using a rest...so, for all intents & purposes, beartooths accomplishments are great...
                              About once every 3rd time I go to the range make sure I shoot 5 one quart plastic oil bottles, fill them with water, have my wife or grandson say go and time me shooting the five bottles standing with one of my bolt action rifles I carry in the mountains. Practice is not done nor is it over unless I get all five under 20 seconds and I prefer under 15 seconds. I usually do it the first time. Every once in a while I have to try it twice.

I practice the sitting position and the kneeling position but not timed. I shoot those at 200 and 300yds making sure I am hitting inside a 6 inch kill zone. I also lift weights all year so as to control my balance and be able to hold my positions for shooting. I do this because I do not want to spend all that money on reloading, rifle and gear to go hunt and miss what I am hunting because I am to tired or weak to get the job done. I also run three days a week. I have done this for years to keep myself ready for what all the work is about and that is THE HUNT!!!!.
                              A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                              THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                              THE HEART OF A CHILD
                              THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

[quote]
                                Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
                                I have moved to Alaska so won't be able to join. Where in MT are you shooting? I used to shoot them in the Breaks (when it was legal) - and north of Roundup.
                                Yeah, I saw your location being Anchorage, too bad you had to move to the big city We haven't nailed down a spot yet. we want to try to make it as centralized as possible. I know of a good dog town about an hour SE of Big Sandy. The issues there is it's not very central and it requires driving 20 miles on gumbo roads if it rains, which means chains on all 4, not to mention how messy gumbo is to get around n on foot. Roundup would be an ideal location. If you care to share the location you can PM me

I wasn't using peep sights - though I do like them. My .300 has a bushnell 3x9x50 on it - with a big dent on top. Don't know the name of the reticle - pretty standard tho. She is a good shooter. I prefer leupold, but the bushnell has been working fine for 10 years so I have never replaced it - though I have thought about it.
                                Well as long as your scope works and does the job for you, it's a keeper. I have used a B&L Balvar 2 1/2-10x40 since '88 until this year when I got interested in the longrange stuff. I got a NF 5 1/2-22x50 and it is one nice piece of work. When I look through the B&L, it's fine, but when I look through the NF, it's hard to go back. so whatever you do, dont look at a NF

I don't have any pix - but I was working in PA getting ready for a horse pack trip to the Bob in MT. I didn't have my reloading equipment and so was trying to dial in some factory rounds.

Many years back - - I was working in Pennsylvania - There was a couple of good ole boys native to PA with this HUGE rifle, custom rounds and handloads. They had a stack of sandwich baggies with sharpie writing filled with 3 cartridges each, they were trying to find their pet load for the beast. They were pretty meticulous with their shooting, cleaning in between every shot, letting their rifle cool down, and finally had decided on their favorite load. They had a mechanical rest with micro adjusters on it, the gun was really too big to hold and shoot - If I recall it was in the 45-50 pound range........

We were shooting next to each other at 200 yards - I was using my custom blue jean legs sewed shut with sand in the for a rest. I shot two five shot groups with factory rounds that were much smaller than their pet load.....they couldn't believe it. I said something about a 100$ scope and a 500$ rifle - stock, showed them my target and drove away laughing at them.
                                This is funny because I'm from PA and my shooting bags are made from sand filled blue jeans too. My Rugers cost me about $300 ea and my scopes $200 ea. Don't know how many trips you took back in the Bob, but my experience was that there wasn't a whole lotta elk back there.

45-50 lb gun??? whoa... It doesn't sound like much fun to me. The longrange guys I'm getting to know can shoot bug holes at 200 yds.
                                ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X