Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 30-06 was a real performer today.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My 30-06 was a real performer today.

    I went to the range today with a friend of mine from North Ala. He drove down and we had a great day of shooting. My 30-06 Mark V Custom really stood out today. I shot my hunting load 165gr Sierra HPBT moving at 2933fps and also finally perfected the 150gr GS HV load moving at 3095fps.

    165gr Sierra HPBT, 59grs H4350, Win Brass, Fed 210 primers




    150gr GS HV, 43grs IMR4350, Nosler Custom brass, Fed 215 mag primers


    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  • #2
    Great groups BT. I got into a chat with Gerard Schultz from GS at the LR forum. I started a thread about the GS bullets over there, and he found out about it and joined in. He was very informative and said they would start working on some LR bullets after he was done with their current project, the SP line. He sais thye were going to do some testing on game with the SPs.

    Another thing, some of the guys over there have found actual performance of the HV's to be less than the advertzed performance based on drop at extended distances. One guy was getting 3150 with his 150's out of a 22" 30.06 and they were about 1 MOA low @ 750 yds, which i figured to be bout a .370 BC. But he also said they were the best killing bullets he has used.

    Anyway, it looks like you have a couple of good loads there. I'll be interested in seeing your extended range results with the HV's.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

    Comment


    • #3
      Wonderful shooting as always bt...congratulations.

      You are also an excellent load developer.

      If I ever get down your way I'll have to drop in for some pointers...LOL!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Really, really nice groups. How long between shots?

        Always enjoy your posts and presentation of data and pictures. Thanks a bunch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ozarks View Post
          Really, really nice groups. How long between shots?

          Always enjoy your posts and presentation of data and pictures. Thanks a bunch.
          I put the guns in the shade where it is cold and let the barrel get completely cold again before I shoot the next round. Depends on how cool it is when I am shooting. When it gets above 70 degrees I do not like to shoot. It takes to long.

          Hey, the load for the GS HV's is 53grs not 43 grs of IMR4320
          A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
          THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
          THE HEART OF A CHILD
          THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

          Comment


          • #6
            Missing Rounds

            So where are the other two rounds???

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 17 Rem View Post
              So where are the other two rounds???
              where do you think they are?
              A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
              THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
              THE HEART OF A CHILD
              THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

              Comment


              • #8
                Not sure what you were implying but here are the last to five shot groups with my 30-06. First one is my 165gr Sierra hunting load and the second is my 06 with the 190gr Sierra MK. I do not have a five shot group with the GS HV Custom because they are 1.20 for each bullet and I only had 50 to do my load work with.



                A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                THE HEART OF A CHILD
                THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like it......

                  Long live the versatile 30-06. America's greatest cartridge/caliber combination. Makes me want to go shoot mine. Good job pard! I have never used your bullets. What critters will you be putting them in?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
                    Long live the versatile 30-06. America's greatest cartridge/caliber combination. Makes me want to go shoot mine. Good job pard! I have never used your bullets. What critters will you be putting them in?
                    Coyote, Deer, hogs, black bear, mule deer, elk not sure of the order but that depends on the hunts this coming year in Arizona, Missouri, Mississippi and Louisiana.
                    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                    THE HEART OF A CHILD
                    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by beartooth View Post
                      Coyote, Deer, hogs, black bear, mule deer, elk not sure of the order but that depends on the hunts this coming year in Arizona, Missouri, Mississippi and Louisiana.
                      Excellent shooting. My son also does well (1 MOA) with a Tikka 30.06 I bought him a few years back. He made a 305 YD shot on a Cow Elk 2 years ago with Federal 180gr Partitions and we never recovered the bullet as it passed completely through.
                      Drop me a line if you come to AZ.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PRDATR View Post
                        Excellent shooting. My son also does well (1 MOA) with a Tikka 30.06 I bought him a few years back. He made a 305 YD shot on a Cow Elk 2 years ago with Federal 180gr Partitions and we never recovered the bullet as it passed completely through.
                        Drop me a line if you come to AZ.
                        Yes I will, sent you a PM
                        A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                        THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                        THE HEART OF A CHILD
                        THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If the holes are touching I wouldn't even bother bringing out the calipers...........unless we're playing for money.
                          Now what ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Perfect range conditions...

                            known range, etc. etc. Am wondering what kind of grouping you could get either without the bench, standing, no known range, ie. real hunting conditions...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gogoalie View Post
                              known range, etc. etc. Am wondering what kind of grouping you could get either without the bench, standing, no known range, ie. real hunting conditions...
                              Real hunting conditions, killed to buck this year, one at 100yds and one at 354yds and have posted those hunts with my 257Wby, did not get a chance to use this one yet but will. Do you want me to post whether I was standing, sitting, walking or what????
                              A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                              THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                              THE HEART OF A CHILD
                              THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X