Distance of this years shot ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance of this years shot ?

About a year ago in 2007 I asked you guys to tell me how far away your critter was when you pulled the trigger. The average shot for those that responded was about 175 yards. My caribou was about 100 yards a way in 2008 and fell to a broad side lung shot from my .338 Win. Mag. and a 250 grain Barnes X bullet. It traveled about 10 yards after the shot. My scope was set on 6 power and the caribou was standing still. I think if we do this for 5 years we should have a pretty good group of stats to use in our never ending debates about shot distance, calibers, bullets and scope power. I am not smart enough to set up a survey and track the stats for all to see on the forum so if one of the monitors is then I welcome your help. It may provide some real life info on the average distance our Alaskan critters are when the first shot is fired, the caliber and bullet used and the results. It could be listed some thing like this.

Spieces - Bull caribou
    Distance - 100 yards
    Scope - set on 6 power
    Shot- 1 broad side lung shot
    Caliber - .338 Win. Mag.
    Bullet - 250 gr. Barnes X
    Results- went about 10 yards

So if one of you computer savy guys/gals could set this up I believe it could provide some useful information to those that visit this forum. We could also send the results to the manufactuers when they come out with a new product and say, what were you thinking!

deer 70 yds
    deer 85 yds .308 cal kimber 84 rifle leupold m8 6X

november hunt from a stand

elk 290 yds .30-06 cal remington 700 alaskan ti leupold 1.5X5

december hunt packed in on ponies.

generally (out of respect for game) i try to hunt close, and long shots are to be avoided. distance on live animals is not a competition.

happy trails.
    jh
    happy trails.
    jh

Comment

Whitetail Deer
      125 yards
      Ruger M77 MK2 All Weather 30-06'
      Redfield Golden 5 Star set at 9x
      200 grain Nosler Accubond, 54 grains of IMR 4350
      Shot facing me hit between the shoulders lower neck.
      Went 6 feet.

Ron
      "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

These aren't Alaskan shots, but I'll post them for general info.

All were shot with a Sako M85 Finnlight 300 WSM topped wirh a Nightforce NSX 5 1/2 x 22 x 50. the antelope were shot @ 22x and the elk @ 5 1/2x. The Antelope were shot with Fed blue box 180 SP's and the elk with Fed 180 Accubond. The rifle was zeroed @ 200 yds. The Rifle was having accuracy issues and shooting about 2 MOA for the hunts and is now back at the factory for evaluation.

Buck antelope, 180 yds. Texas heart shot. Prone position off day pack. Bullet hit about 1" right of POA and stopped under hide of front shoulder. It didn't flop, but didn't go anywhere went down qickly.

Doe antelope, 300 yds, prone position off day pack. I used the cross hairs to range it (NP-R2, 2 MOA hashes) and held on the back for an estimated 6 inch drop. The bullet hit about 6 inches below the back about 4-6 inches aft of POA. Bang, flop. Left about a 2-3 inch exit hole.

Doe antelope, 200 yds, rifle resting on the hood of a ranhers truck. I aimed about 1/3 down from the top of back and hit close to POA. Bang, flop. About a 4" exit hole.

Cow elk, 200 yds, off one knee. Placed crosshairs 6 inches below top of back for insurance in case my estimation was short. Bullet hit about 6 inches below top of back just aft of last rib breaking it's back. I finished it off with a point blank to the head. Exit wound on the back was about 2".

This was as close as I could get to any of these animals and are typical Montana shots. I am developing the capabillity for LR shots at much greater distances if the situation requires it. Of course I will need a much more accurate rifle.
        "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
        ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

mt goat 38, 210 yards
          deer 29, 250, 260, 200, 240, 230 yards
          brown bear 40, 171 yards
          black bear 45, 260, 130, 250, 180 yards
          grizzly 50, 120, 70 yards
          sheep 360 yards
          calibers and bullets were all over the bored....
          Www.blackriverhunting.com
          Master guide 212

Comment

caribou
            .338 kimber
            210g. barnes x
            238 yds
            broadside
            finally the proverbial "dropped like a brick!"
            www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

sitka blacktail deer 25 yards, 30 yards, 30 yards, 125 yards.
              all shot with a .270wsm 130gr tsx, 140gr accubond, 150gr xp3
              Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Sheep 230 yards 25-06 120 grain remington core loc 9X scope In the neck, dropped and one more in chest to kill
                Caribou 100 yards 25-06 120 grain remington core loc 9xscope In neck , dropped an one more to neck to kill
                Elk 275 yards .338 win mag 250 grain nosler partition 4 x scope One in chest, one between eyes and one in neck to kill
                Buffalo 80 yards 35 whelen 225 grain accubond 9X scope One in chest, one in leg, and one in neck to kill
                Black tail deer .338 75 yards 250 grain nosler partition 4x scope One in chest
                Brown Bear .338 6 yards 250 grain nosler partition 4x scope One under chin and one in chest

Comment

I'll play...

Species: Bull moose
                  Range: 80-90 yards
                  Scope: 1.5-5x scope, set on 3x
                  Shot: one shot-broadside-bedded down
                  Caliber: .444 Marlin
                  Bullet: Hornady 265 grain Leverevolution
                  Results: Anchored

Tim

Comment

good info....

We are getting some good info again. I probably should have posted this on the hunting forum. It was 2:00 in the morning when I posted this and I couldn't sleep because my knee felt like I just had surgery on it. Hopefully the rest of the members will chime in and some one can set up a graph/chart we can refer to. Kind of like "survey says". Hard to beat real life info. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by dieNqvrs View Post
                      Sheep 230 yards 25-06 120 grain remington core loc 9X scope In the neck, dropped and one more in chest to kill
                      Caribou 100 yards 25-06 120 grain remington core loc 9xscope In neck , dropped an one more to neck to kill
                      Elk 275 yards .338 win mag 250 grain nosler partition 4 x scope One in chest, one between eyes and one in neck to kill
                      Buffalo 80 yards 35 whelen 225 grain accubond 9X scope One in chest, one in leg, and one in neck to kill
                      Black tail deer .338 75 yards 250 grain nosler partition 4x scope One in chest
                      Brown Bear .338 6 yards 250 grain nosler partition 4x scope One under chin and one in chest

Six (6) yards! Now THAT is Really sneaking up on them! Or were you the one getting snuk up on?!! :eek:
                      “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Comment

mountain goat

42 yards
                        300 win mag
                        two shots
                        one entrance hole
                        two exit holes
                        goat rolled over and twitched

Comment

Bull elk
                          40 yards
                          .300 Win Magnum
                          180 grain Nosler partition
                          Dropped in his tracks

Comment

distance

moose 10 yards 300 WSM
                            black bear 40 yards 308 WIN

Comment

Coupla caribou at roughly 100 yards.
                              FN-FAL with Winchester 150 grain softs. One shot, down they go.
                              Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X