First rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davy Crickett

My boys each have Davy Crickett's. Single shot, bolt action. It's amazing to me that they can burn up a 550 round box of ammo in one sitting, but they do it. There are some cool little accessories available for it it.
    It has a rear peep sight, which I like.

Comment

Why not buy him an heirloom rifle, one he won't outgrow?

A Marlin 39 is just superb, plus they take down and can fit into a backpack or luggage. Very accurate, lever action, tube with large capacity, can shoot shorts or maybe those light-load Aguillas. Not too heavy, but definitely a gun he won't outgrow. Really nice with a good scope.

You might find a nice one on the used racks. It'd be pretty hard to go wrong with an older Remington 513 or 511, their pump .22s are pretty handy. Speedmasters are a nice semi-auto. Seven is too early to give a kid an autoloader though.

Comment

first rifles

I just bought my son the Rossi 22/410 matched set for $199.00. All stainless w/ synthetic stock. He shot a brick of ammo through it in the first 2 days. For a single shot, that's putting 'em down range. I really liked the single shot theory because he's not allowed to rush the shot, so that first (and maybe his only shot), had better count. His form and patience has gotten drastically better because of it. He was a just a hair too short for my 10-22, but he liked the scope feature, so we went and put a scope on the Rossi. This gun fits him like a glove and his groups turned into jagged holes from the bench at 25yds and 1" groups at 50yds. If you get a scope, get a hammer extension, because the scope won't allow for his/your thumb to cock the hammer. Small $10.00 adjustment, no big deal. Other than that, the price was great, he loves it, it's EASY to clean and I even like shooting it. No dissappointments here!! It gets my vote!

Comment

Originally posted by lester View Post
          Why not buy him an heirloom rifle, one he won't outgrow?

It'd be pretty hard to go wrong with an older Remington 513 or 511, their pump .22s are pretty handy. Speedmasters are a nice semi-auto. Seven is too early to give a kid an autoloader though.
          I agree! Remington made the 521-T which was a youth target rifle (bolt action) with a target peep rear sight (Lyman 57).
          I just spent 2 weeks borrowing one from my local shop field testing it before I plunked down the money. It is a supurbley[sic] accurate rifle and beautiful.
          I know where there is another one if anyone is interested. Totally redone and gorgeous!!!!!!

reuben.....
          "SUA SPONTE"
          "Illigitmati non Carborundum"

I'm 51..... thats 12 in man years.....

Comment

I grew up shooting semi autos and don't plan to buy my kids one for their first rifle. I would get the kid a bolt action with a decent scope. Teach them to be careful and accurate, not how to blaze through a box of shells. Make sure and get an accurate gun, not some cheap POS. Only accurate guns are fun to shoot.

For older kids a 10/22 with an accurate bull barrel and high power scope can be a lot of fun. I have one that can group close to 1" at 100 yards on a calm day.

Comment

I think a little .22 single bolt would be the way to go. It teaches accuracy and one shot kills.

Comment

Win 67

I grew up shooting a win 67 that i still own and shoot at 50 yrs old. I would go with a high quality boltaction with open sights. Once he gets the hang of shooting he will apreciate the accuracy of a well made rifle. I think the CZ scout or a Win 67 would be a great choice that he could shoot the rest of his life. I see the win 67 on Gunbroker all the time.
                Dr B

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X