X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 340 Weatherby

Any shooters of the 340 out there? What do you think of the 340. Thanks

340 Wby.

Well I had one for quite a few years and sold it to a hunting buddy cause I planned on getting a stainless one. Wish I still had it cause I loved it! Kicks a little too much for some but if you are willing to carry the extra weight around its a fine gun for AK in my opinion.

Comment

.340 Wby

The .340 WBY is a winner and a “would be frontrunner” all-'rounder for Alaska Hunting.

.338 w/ more speed --- greatest impact or gain translating to more downrange energy with decreased time of flight.

Downsides are as a rule economics… can’t be penny-pinching on loaded ammo, reloading isn’t inexpensive; no rifles will be bargain basement priced, etc.

Often cartridges with all that horsepower have a common weakness in the company of ammo accessibility… sure it’s always available, but you may have to continually go to a suitable stocking retailer.

I have an older Mark V high-grade German Sauer in .340 WBY. Very fine gun that despite being in probably the preeminent all-around large game cartridge ever conceived – gets zero, zip, zilch use!

Brian Richardson
      http://www.northernrim.com

Comment

Thanks for the input

Comment

I Use A 340 Wby With Barnes Tsx , Great Gun. It Will Kill Just About Everything In North America

Comment

I was given box of 340 reloads from a friend that could not take it with him back to the states after an unsuccessful moose hunt. I am willing to trade for something of comparable value if anyone is interested.

Comment

I have a Weatherby Mark V Stainless, used it to shoot a brown bear and also shot a couple of caribou with it. 250 grain Nosler Partitions are my preferred bullet.

Comment

340 Weatherby

340 Weatherby is a great cartridge. Power of a 375H&H with the trajectory of a 7mm Rem Mag.

My pet is a 330 Dakota, which has virtually identical ballistics to the 340, but is beltless and is of the short-fat variety, and fits into a 30/06 length action. The 340 require a full length H&H action.

Great all-round big game cartridges. If I'd been sensible, I probably should have gone with the 340 rather than building a 330, but it's what I wanted. If you can adjust to the recoil, the 340 is a fantastic Alaskan cartridge, as are all the 338's, from the Win Mag on up.

Comment

George, I shot my 340 wby at a steel plate hanging on chains at 300 yds.
                  I used 200 gr hornady, 210 nos part, and 250 nos part. all went through the plate. My friend has 338 WM using 210 nos part, they didn't go through. The plate was 1/2 in thick. Was funny to see everyone with 300 mags and other big game rifles that didn't make it through.

Comment

Had one

Had one ......went back to the 338 win..........much cheaper to reload!
                    Alaska

Comment

I had a 340Roy. Mine was the Weatherby Mark V Accumark. IMO too long & heavy for my style(hills) of hunting, but one sweet cal nevertheless.
                      Now I shoot my pet, the 338 Win Mag. And will never go back to the 340Roy. Not that it's a bad cal, no sir, it's a gem. But the 338 Win Mag does all I want & need in a much lighter rig.

Comment

you are right on that

i have an accumark, shoots great but heavy. kimber has a lite weight 338 that caught my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner378 View Post
                          i have an accumark, shoots great but heavy. kimber has a lite weight 338 that caught my eye.
                          I had the 338 Win Mag 8400 Kimber Montana. IMO forearm too long. Kimber should of made the exact copy of the 8400 WSM's. Now that stock suits & balances like a peach.
                          Now I have my R93/338WM. I just will not go back to another rig in 338WM these days. This rig is something else!
                          Recoil with 210TSX's is a 7.92lb's mountain walker is soooooo sweet. You guys just have too buy & try one of these German masterpieces. By far the best rifle I have owned, carried & shouldered. And a safety system that WILL NOT ever let you down on heavy falls.

Comment

I have the 340 and just love it. One of the first things I did was to put on a McMillan Stock. That was before Weatherby started selling them with a synthetic. My son-in-law says it has less kick than his 30.06. Shoots great I have developed my own load using 200 grain Noslers that at 100 yards will shoot a three shot group that looks like a cloverleaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner378 View Post
                              I Use A 340 Wby With Barnes Tsx , Great Gun. It Will Kill Just About Everything In North America

A 340 Weatherby with 250 grain Swift A-frames, will kill everything in north America. What's wrong with your TSX's?
                              Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X