Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeonardC
    replied
    I think it may be more wide spread that "Left wing Green Winnie's proably from Portland or CA transplant.". I was doing some web searches looking for the min. velocity of various lead free bullets to open up and found several references to lead bullets being regulated (outlawed?) in other parts of the world.

I will be getting some nonlead bullets and want to be sure my max. shooting distance is within the min. velocity needed to open the bullets up upon impact.

Edit: I also plan on letting the people that "represent" me know that I don't think outlawing lead bullets is a good idea!

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Bush Hunter
    replied
    It would not only effect handloaders but also those who shoot factory ammo. I think it’s a bunch of hogwash brought up here by Left wing Green Winnie’s proably from Portland or CA transplant. I shoot in my Marlin 45:70 Trapper the 350gr Hardcast FNGC and heavy load of 51.8 of RL 7. Mr. Stoner cast my bullets down in Anchorage years ago.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Originally posted by Doug in Alaska View Post

The fact that all copper ammo is not available in Alaska and isn't available in sufficient quantities isn't the issue. The issue is, they are intent on shutting down your ability to load bullets that contain lead. They can go f*** themselves! JMHO
    I hear you on that and I agree with you 100%.
    Besides I do cast my own bullets and I shoot lead and I enjoy it.
    Whether it's at a game animal or Target at the range.
    But a secondary point is that we couldn't even switch if we wanted to.
    Well except for those people who can find them "whenever they've wanted them"!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by Doug in Alaska View Post

The fact that all copper ammo is not available in Alaska and isn't available in sufficient quantities isn't the issue. The issue is, they are intent on shutting down your ability to load bullets that contain lead. They can go f*** themselves! JMHO
    This, and you know that a large part of them would be a lot more happy if they took away our ability to load our own bullets completely.....lead or no lead.

Leave a comment:

• Doug in Alaska
    replied
    Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The last moose I harvested I did shoot in the neck.
    He's spun around 360 and dropped in his tracks.
    But that is not the point of this thread.
    This thread is not about how to reduce the amount of lead in our game meat from using lead bullets.
    The point of this thread is that Alaska health is trying to push alaskans into using all copper bullets.
    Some people seem to think if they push this hard enough maybe it'll be come a law or that they will attempt to make it a law.
    And one of my arguments against the push for All copper ammunition is that it is currently not available in Alaska in sufficient quantities and calibers to meet our needs.
    So in my honest opinion this is definitely not the time to push for this because most Alaskan hunters could not comply even if they wanted to!

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

I won't have any trouble loading ammo. I've been ahead of the curve for decades. When the .22 shortages happened the first time, I laughed because I had enough to last out my days. I still laugh when the perceived shortages happen, because I am prepared. i don't wait until I hear on the interwebs that there is a shortage of something. I stocked up when it was cheap and plentiful. Short sighted people didn't, and are now paying the hugely inflated prices.
    Oh trust me I have plenty of ammo and plenty of reloading supplies for every gun I own.
    And plenty of .22 as well.
    I also have the ability to cast my own lead-based bullets and make my own black powder.
    If I really had to I even have the chemicals on hand to refill primers. Though that isn't something I intend to do, I do have the ability.
    But like I said the point of this thread was the push for All copper ammo.
    And that is something I cannot create at home.
    A person could have a hundred years worth of lead-based ammo but if they wanted to switch there's still none available to switch to.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    He's spun around 360° and dropped in his tracks.
    This thread is not about how to reduce the amount of lead in our game meat from using lead bullets.
    The point of this thread is that Alaska health is trying to push alaskans into using all copper bullets.
    Some people seem to think if they push this hard enough maybe it'll be come a law or that they will attempt to make it a law.
    And one of my arguments against the push for All copper ammunition is that it is currently not available in Alaska in sufficient quantities and calibers to meet our needs.
    So in my honest opinion this is definitely not the time to push for this because most Alaskan hunters could not comply even if they wanted to!

I won't have any trouble loading ammo. I've been ahead of the curve for decades. When the .22 shortages happened the first time, I laughed because I had enough to last out my days. I still laugh when the perceived shortages happen, because I am prepared. i don't wait until I hear on the interwebs that there is a shortage of something. I stocked up when it was cheap and plentiful. Short sighted people didn't, and are now paying the hugely inflated prices.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied

Shoot them in the head or neck. Stop blasting the hind quarters full of lead.
    He's spun around 360 and dropped in his tracks.

Leave a comment:

• Chez
    replied
    Anyone pushing this ridiculous reg/law should be pushed out of office

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    I understand that and that's precisely my point!
    Now is not a good time to push for this because the ammo they're pushing for us to use is simply not available.
    So this article just came out.
    Now there's a push for alaskans to use all copper bullets.
    And if I was one of those people who became scared of ingesting lead from my game meat after reading this article what am I to do?
    Pay to have my game meat x-rayed?
    Give my harvested game meat to some dog musher to feed his dogs like happens all the time with freezer burnt fish that I see advertised on Facebook?
    Do not allow any children to eat my game meat for their own health?
    If a law passed right now that did not allow us to use lead-based bullets anymore most Alaskan big game hunters who use rifles would be screwed.
    Yet some people in this thread claim to be able to find these all copper bullets whenever they've wanted them.
    So this whole point of switching to copper is a moot point until such ammo becomes available to us on a regular basis.

Shoot them in the head or neck. Stop blasting the hind quarters full of lead.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied

Originally posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post

I don’t believe they care about availability of any components to reload with or factory loaded ammo, as long as they get green bullet agenda pushed thru. I have used all copper bullets the 62/70gr TSX in my 5.56 and is a great hunting bullet. I enjoy my freedom of choice and do not want to lose it. My love affair with Swift A Frames and Nosler Partitions goes back 50 years. In Fairbanks Sportsman Warehouse Doesn’t have a powder shelves and bullets anymore they converted it into something else.
    This country may have been founded on freedom of choice but apparently they want to take that away from us these days.
    The sportsman's Warehouse in Soldotna is the same way.
    On the rare occasions when they do get powder or primers in they keep them at the gun counter and you buy them there.
    This way they can ensure you don't purchase more than your daily limit.
    They've moved the shelf of reloading bullets and it's a tiny section right now and the section on reloading brass is tiny as well.
    I just wish I could find these things whenever I've wanted them like some of the other posters in this thread claim to be able to do.

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Bush Hunter
    replied
    Well I went out today in the Kenai Soldotna area and hit up sportsman's Warehouse and two other places that sell ammo.
    Out of those places one had three options in copper ammo .243,.260, and .308 iirc.
    One had only one option I don't recall the caliber.
    And the other had no copper ammo.
    None of them had any copper bullets for reloading.
    So I stand by my statement that if a person after reading this thread decided they wanted to switch from their lead ammo to copper ammo most likely you would not be able to.
    And none of the calibers of copper bullets they had fit a rifle that I own.
    Besides that there was no .338 win mag, 300 win mag, 6.5 creedmore and a few other calibers in the lead varieties.
    So while some people may be able to conjure up these copper bullets whenever they want them I'm not able to do so at this time in the calibers I routinely hunt with.
    Not that I am planning to switch but I was curious if I could even find them.

I don’t believe they care about availability of any components to reload with or factory loaded ammo, as long as they get green bullet agenda pushed thru. I have used all copper bullets the 62/70gr TSX in my 5.56 and is a great hunting bullet. I enjoy my freedom of choice and do not want to lose it. My love affair with Swift A Frames and Nosler Partitions goes back 50 years. In Fairbanks Sportsman Warehouse Doesn’t have a powder shelves and bullets anymore they converted it into something else.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied

That isn't because copper bullets are rare. There are shortages of all ammo and components.
    I understand that and that's precisely my point!
    Now is not a good time to push for this because the ammo they're pushing for us to use is simply not available.
    So this article just came out.
    Now there's a push for alaskans to use all copper bullets.
    And if I was one of those people who became scared of ingesting lead from my game meat after reading this article what am I to do?
    Pay to have my game meat x-rayed?
    Give my harvested game meat to some dog musher to feed his dogs like happens all the time with freezer burnt fish that I see advertised on Facebook?
    Do not allow any children to eat my game meat for their own health?
    If a law passed right now that did not allow us to use lead-based bullets anymore most Alaskan big game hunters who use rifles would be screwed.
    Yet some people in this thread claim to be able to find these all copper bullets whenever they've wanted them.
    So this whole point of switching to copper is a moot point until such ammo becomes available to us on a regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    Well I went out today in the Kenai Soldotna area and hit up sportsman's Warehouse and two other places that sell ammo.
    Out of those places one had three options in copper ammo .243,.260, and .308 iirc.
    One had only one option I don't recall the caliber.
    And the other had no copper ammo.
    None of them had any copper bullets for reloading.
    So I stand by my statement that if a person after reading this thread decided they wanted to switch from their lead ammo to copper ammo most likely you would not be able to.
    And none of the calibers of copper bullets they had fit a rifle that I own.
    Besides that there was no .338 win mag, 300 win mag, 6.5 creedmore and a few other calibers in the lead varieties.
    So while some people may be able to conjure up these copper bullets whenever they want them I'm not able to do so at this time in the calibers I routinely hunt with.
    Not that I am planning to switch but I was curious if I could even find them.

That isn't because copper bullets are rare. There are shortages of all ammo and components.

Leave a comment:

• Patsfan54
    replied
    Last time I went to the store a couple weeks ago and couldn't find 30-06 ammo, I asked where it was since it wasn't on the shelf. Next day or the day after, maybe, he said. 30-06 ammo, of any kind.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X