All Copper Push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Guys if the post is political in nature or concerns Corvid it will be deleted as in the past.
    Thank God!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post

Thank God!!!
      As if.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

[QUOTE=

Are all these studies taken from Flint MI?
        [/QUOTE]

NO. They are not.

Comment

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...d-make-switch/

Comment

OK, here goes! I will jump in on this. Is lead toxic? Yes, but how much is harmful? Well, any amount has the potential to harm you. "Nuf said about that. Two things appropriate for this discussion. Leathality and accuracy of the solid copper bullet. For me it started with a rifle that just simply refused to give accurate results with available factory ammo so I started a search for something that would shoot better. I handload and eventually settled on a Barnes X. Early versions of the X bullet were said to have expansion issues. I tried them in my 35 Whelen at 225 grains. First results in Montana on elk were awesome. The first two bulls showed massive damage and deep penetration. I never recovered a bullet from an elk shot broadside, complete pass thru. I then tried smaller calibers. The accuracy was superior to anything else I loaded. So I started to use them for hunting other game. Results were mixed at best. Several deer hit broadside ran long distances. I'm talking 1/2 mile plus! Where it not for the wide open country and watching them run I would have had trouble finding them. Calibers used were; 6.5, 7mm, 270, 30, and 35. More than a dozen animals taken, none were lost. Maybe half the time they dropped right there, the other half they ran and ran, or showed little indication of being hit. Here at home in Alaska for more than 30 years all the game taken was with a Nosler partition bullet in a variety of calibers. I have switched back to what I know works, every time. My results are not exhaustive or scientific. Your experiences may vary from mine. Good luck!

Comment

Everything I have shot with Barnes X have been one and done. DRT. From goat and caribou to moose.
              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I do not want to be mandated like CA to use copper bullets only. The Barnes Bullets are great bullets and have harvested a lot game but I do not want to mandated copper only …….only 1 state has this mandate CA.

Comment

What I really want to see is the science behind this.
                  The evidence from the state of Alaska from their own research shows that adults that are showing high levels of lead are getting it from sources other than eating wild game.
                  As for children as they mentioned in the article hunting is listed but there are several other reasons listed that are of greater significance than lead bullets used in hunting.
                  And it did not say consuming wild game it said hunting.
                  Also they mentioned indoor shooting ranges.
                  Well banning a lead hunting bullet will not change the amount of lead a child is exposed to while plinking with their 22 at an indoor or outdoor shooting range.
                  Another very significant point is the availability of lead free bullets in Alaska.
                  Most people especially those of us shooting say 338 win mags are still having difficulty finding ammo.
                  Not that I don't have enough and not that I don't have plenty of reloading supplies for my own needs though I do not currently have a stock of all copper bullets.
                  Many calibers and a lot of reloading supplies are still in short supply.
                  And to be honest we don't know when those supplies will be replenished or will become readily available again.
                  For those you don't reload they must find the factory ammo.
                  Are lead free bullets currently available in Alaska in enough supply so that hunters will not be affected if this law were to pass?
                  And for those who like to reload we would need a good source of these bullets available to us so that we have some time to work uploads for them as well.
                  This means we would also need a variety of powders to be in stock so that we can find the most accurate loads that work well in our rifles.
                  If this law passes and the lead free alternatives are not available they have effectively shut down the hunting in Alaska!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                    What I really want to see is the science behind this.
                    The evidence from the state of Alaska from their own research shows that adults that are showing high levels of lead are getting it from sources other than eating wild game.
                    Citation needed.

If this law passes and the lead free alternatives are not available they have effectively shut down the hunting in Alaska!
                    What law?
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                      Citation needed.
                      I posted this earlier in this thread but here it is again.
                      http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/eph/P...d/default.aspx

What law?
                      The way the article is worded it doesn't sound like they are proposing that it become a law at this time.
                      But I think we can all see the writing on the wall.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...d-make-switch/

Also note that although Alaska has a smaller sample size then other states, the number of children with elevated levels of lead in their blood is half the national average here in Alaska per the article above.
                      That doesn't sound like Alaska children are in as much danger as they might like us to believe.
                      According to their own data that is.

Comment

Since this is a problem in search of a solution, I propose that all lead bullets must be used as a head shot. Since lead in game meat isn't a problem but we must fix the lead in game meat problem, let's keep lead out of game meat. Legislating only head shots for lead bullets is the only reasonable way to handle this nonproblem, since we can keep our lead bullets and we don't have to eat the lead that we don't eat anyways from the meat of the game we shoot...this is a win win proposal.
                        I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Not a lot of info available on this topic. Here is some.
                          https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mmunition-ban/
                          Wild Meat Raises Lead Exposure
                          Tests by the CDC show that eating venison and other game can raise the amounts of lead in human bodies by 50 percent

Comment

My question still remains are these lead free bullets currently available in Alaska?
                            If I wanted to purchase some factory ammo or bullets for reloading for my .338 win mag could I go out anywhere in Alaska and buy them today?
                            If the answer is no then using them is a moot point!
                            If they are not readily available to us to purchase than they are not readily available for us to use!

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
                              Since this is a problem in search of a solution...
                              ...Or maybe it's just the usual would-be rebels in search of a cause. Seems a certain contingent wouldn't have reason to exist if they didn't always have an imagined oppressive crisis to angrily wring their hands about.

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                              My question still remains are these lead free bullets currently available in Alaska?
                              If I wanted to purchase some factory ammo or bullets for reloading for my .338 win mag could I go out anywhere in Alaska and buy them today?
                              If the answer is no then using them is a moot point!
                              If they are not readily available to us to purchase than they are not readily available for us to use!
                              I have lots of originals, lots of blue coated ones, and lots of TSX's on hand. I've never had any issue finding them in Alaska when I wanted them. The notion that mono bullets are scarce, but that you can walk into any grocery in any village and readily find cup and core/lead bullets is imagined fallacy.

Comment

I've never had any issue finding them in Alaska when I wanted them. The notion that mono bullets are scarce, but that you can walk into any grocery in any village and readily find cup and core/lead bullets is imagined fallacy.
                                I guess what I'm getting at is . 338 win mag bullets are very scarce in Alaska lead or copper.
                                I'm not saying at this time that copper is less available than lead bullets but, that neither option is currently readily available in Alaska.
                                And if a person who's always used lead wanted to switch there are none to be had to switch to.
                                I'm sure that's true for several other calibers as well.
                                I'm on the slope and haven't looked in a couple weeks but when I did .338 win mag was one caliber that was not in stock at any of my local gun stores.
                                I'm sure that's true of a few other popular calibers as well.
                                I also checked Midway USA and none available there either.
                                I do cast a lot of my own bullets out of lead.
                                And they work quite well. And I'd rather other people not tell me what I can and cannot use those bullets for as long as it's ethically and morally right.
                                According to data from the state of Alaska I don't believe that lead bullets fragments in game meat is cause for concern to the majority of Alaskan hunters.
                                For those alaskans who are in constant fear of anything that may harm them ,including accidentally ingesting a minute particle of lead, they can choose of their own accord to use whatever bullets make them feel safe.
                                Or if they're that worried about it maybe they should just buy their meat at the grocery store!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X