Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I've been using tin split shot for 40 years.
    I have some non-toxic shot in my bags as well. I was more making a comment on the state of things. There are much more serious health concerns to be focused on imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
      What’s next lead sinkers on my fishing line !
      That has already been addressed in other states, years ago.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Yes, some states have banned lead fishing tackle.
        Talk to fishermen in those states and you'll find most were not happy afterwards.
        Many of their favorite fishing lures dropped off the market and the remaining ones became much more expensive.
        Even some spinners have lead bodies such as Rooster tails, Panther Martins, and some others.
        Then there is the big difference in the properties of the alternatives.
        Lead has a specific gravity of 11.34.
        Bismuth= 9.79.
        Tin= 7.29.
        So your tin jig will be ~1/3 lighter than if it was made of lead.
        Bismuth is closer in weight to lead but it has it's own issues. Things such as it expands as it cools making it hard to unmold from typical Aluminum molds that many of us (and some places that cast our tackle sold locally)use to make our jigs and sinkers.
        There are a few tungsten jigs on the market.
        But they're much more expensive and cannot be produced at home.
        And as we all know there are lead alternatives for hunting bullets.
        Given the current ammo shortages were already facing are the lead alternatives going to be readily available to us?
        Are we willing to switch from our pet reloads that we've been using for years to some other alternatives that we will need to work up loads for?
        Will the bullets and powder be available to us reloaders should this pass?
        I know we struggle currently to find powder, primers, and bullets to reload with!
        Is the science there to show that we have high rates of lead in our children or in our wild animals that feed on hunter's carcasses?
        Since we know there are various lead alternatives on the market for all of our needs both hunting and fishing Alaskans need to decide if it's something were willing to switch to!
        And I really think if they're going to try to pass something like this it should come up for a public vote. Let the people not the lawmakers decide!

Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 09-18-2021, 06:43.
        "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

All for a Vote……if it means anything
          I have come to conclusion that if they want the law or regulation they will find a way to incorporate it regardless of vote….just like the PFD and installing a Bureau in Fairbanks after the public voted against it.

Comment

I think from my experience anyway that small game is a much greater threat of lead poisoning then is big game.
            We always try to do a pretty good job of removing all bloodshot meat and cleaning up our big game really well. And I've never had a chunk of lead or bullet jacketing or anything in any piece of meat that I've eaten or anyone has eaten from a game animal my family has harvested with a rifle.
            I try to do the same with my small game as well but there have been a couple times over the years where I've gotten a piece of duck meat or grouse or rabbit that had a BB left in it.
            Of course with the ducks it was steel shot.
            But in my personal experience I have seen more lead in small game meat that could have been swallowed than I ever have in meat from big game.
            I'm pretty thorough with my small game so 99% of the time I catch any BB's or lead fragments left in the meat.
            But I think that's where the biggest threat to children consuming lead is.
            I'm assuming some of the rest of you may have similar experiences to share?
            Have any of you ever gotten a chunk of lead in your big game meat that you were eating?

Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 09-18-2021, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
              We always try to do a pretty good job of removing all bloodshot meat and cleaning up our big game really well. And I've never had a chunk of lead or bullet jacketing or anything in any piece of meat that I've eaten or anyone has eaten from a game animal my family has harvested with a rifle.
              Fragmentation studies have shown that the lead particles in question are too small to be seen or felt. Have you ever had an animal x-rayed to see how much you've missed?
              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn
                I'm assuming...
                Bad idea.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Fragmentation studies have shown that the lead particles in question are too small to be seen or felt. Have you ever had an animal x-rayed to see how much you've missed?
                  No I have not had an animal x-rayed for lead fragments.
                  But I do get my blood tested every year to include lead and it has not shown any increases in my blood lead levels even on years where I've eaten significantly more game meat than others.
                  For a number of years after leaving the mine my lead levels decreased.
                  But the last few years they've been holding in that 3.5 mcg/dl range.
                  I'll have to look into it some more but have you come across any articles or scientific research showing that children in Alaska who ate game meat shot with lead bullets have higher blood lead levels?
                  If they're going to make an argument that using lead bullets is harming our children I'd like to see some evidence of that.

Comment

.....Bad idea.
                    You're right and you would be the one to know! Being our resident expert at it and all!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Comment

I did find this online information.
                      http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/eph/P...d/default.aspx
                      It appears adults are the main cause of concern for elevated lead levels not children.
                      And it seems the state of Alaska thinks the majority of that is from people working in lead mines and people casting their own bullets fishing sinkers etc.
                      No mention of eating game meat that is contaminated with lead.

"Alaska has a comprehensive statewide blood lead surveillance program and targeted screening program to identify and control sources of lead exposure and assist in the medical management of patients with elevated blood lead levels (BLLs).

In Alaska, elevated lead levels are found mostly in adults, usually as a result of mining occupations, casting of lead bullets or fishing weights, or exposure in shooting ranges. Present efforts are being directed towards targeted screening of populations potentially at risk for elevated lead exposures. These include occupational and non-occupational exposures."

Then it mentions this about children and their blood lead levels:
                      "important to help protect against health effects from lead exposure.

Exposure routes for children include:

Chipped lead-based paint in homes built before 1978

Ingesting or mouthing items that contain lead, such as lead-painted toys or jewelry

Water (from lead plumbing or solder in older homes)

Take-home lead, when family members bring home lead dust on their work clothes

In utero (womb), when the mother is exposed through any previously mentioned route

Older children's brains continue to develop, so they are also vulnerable to the toxic effects of lead. In Alaska, we have identified additional sources of lead exposures in older children including:

Shooting and reloading firearms

Shooting at an indoor firing range"

So given the original article that started this thread mentions lead exposure in children why are we so focused on lead bullets for hunting?
                      Sounds like we should be more concerned about lead paint and plumbing in older homes.
                      And children being allowed to play with lead objects.
                      But in regards to lead exposures from reloading and shooting ranges I say this:
                      Banning lead from hunting isn't going to change the amount of lead that children are exposed to while plinking with their 22s at the gun range.
                      Or learning to reload from their parents.
                      So why go after our bullets used for hunting?
                      Why not include all bullets if we're really wanting to protect the kids?
                      I know when I was a kid I shot a heck of a lot more bullets plinking and Target practicing then I ever did hunting!

Comment

All the squirrels and doves I killed growing up ……sure did spit out a few shot and probably ate a few. I also ate mud pies growing up and stepped bare foot in cow patties.

Comment

I had lead fragments in some moose hot dogs I had made at a local processor.....TWICE. Both of the moose the meat came from I had killed with a bow. They swore I was getting my own meat back. I don't use that processor any longer.
                          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Ok but how were the hot dogs? Were they good?

Comment

Guys if the post is political in nature or concerns Corvid it will be deleted as in the past.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Metal detectors can pick up lead if it’s a newer model.

Are all these studies taken from Flint MI?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X