Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Copper Push

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • All Copper Push

    Alaska health is pushing for All copper bullets for hunting.
    after 200 years hunting with lead bullets now it’s a public health concern.
    Another California Law for Alaska on Tue Night News here in Fairbanks.

  • #2
    I am not convinced the small amount of lead from bullets shot at big game has any affect of the environment. I'd rather have the freedom to choose what bullet I feel is the best for my situation.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's been a long time since I killed an animal with a lead bullet. Barnes bullets for the win. That said, I don't support a ban on lead bullets. That would destroy the little .22 lr and others.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

      Comment


      • #4
        One of the main concerns as stated in the article is the effect it has on young children. If anyone has attended a lead safety/testing course then you’ve heard about it. I attended one last year, it was taught by a fellow that is an avid shooter and hunter. He stated that when he goes hunting or even just after a day at the range he goes straight into his garage and changes clothes and washes up before even seeing his kids. He still uses lead bullets, but acknowledged the concerns with it. But I would assume that the effects it has in game meat depend on a huge list of variables.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bunch of crap I could maybe see it if you a Sierra Matchkings or Berger Bullets where you get dramatic expansion but otherwise it’s just another health worker making headlines that’s probably repeating California talking points of Lead bullets I bet she is from CA. I will oppose it till my last day on earth !

          Comment


          • #6
            Hope that we hunters have to option to use what bullets we want! While I have and do use some non lead bullets, I also use normal lead bullets for hunting big game. Waterfowl might be a different thing, but I think this fall more under Federal regulations.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is ridiculous!
              A lot of people don't realize that during the 1970s the average Americans blood lead levels were 17 mcg/dl.
              All because of tetraethyl leaded gasoline.
              Something that is no longer an issue in this country
              My blood lead evels never got that high even when I worked cleaning the processing Mill at a zinc/lead mine.
              And I got tested every 3 months while working there for the year and a half that I was there.
              I've been casting lead bullets and lead based fishing tackle for many years now.
              And I do not wear a respirator when doing so.
              I prefer to use what I consider a better practice of proper hygiene, proper ventilation, and temperature control on my lead pot.
              The last few years my blood lead levels have consistently been in the range of 3.5mcg/dl.
              Normal level of lead for an adult is below 10 mcg/dl.
              The biggest threat to most people is having lead on your hands from lead casting or handling raw lead in some form and then smoking, chewing, eating, or drinking without proper hand washing.
              And there are no young children allowed in my lead casting area and I have no kids of my own to worry about.
              I do understand the banning of lead for waterfowl hunting.
              Because of the high probability of waterfowl eating lead on the bottom of ponds in areas where people have consistently hunted the same spots for generations.
              Lead can build up and the waterfowl eat off the bottom of the pond accidentally consuming some lead.
              But IMHO the probability of that in other wildlife is very minimal at best.
              If this passes it's just one more rung on the ladder. Eventually they'll be telling us that it's safer for the kids for us not to have guns in the home at all!

              Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

              "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                This is ridiculous!
                A lot of people don't realize that during the 1970s the average Americans blood lead levels were 17 mcg/dl.
                All because of tetraethyl leaded gasoline.
                Something that is no longer an issue in this country
                My blood lead evels never got that high even when I worked cleaning the processing Mill at a zinc/lead mine.
                And I got tested every 3 months while working there for the year and a half that I was there.
                I've been casting lead bullets and lead based fishing tackle for many years now.
                And I do not wear a respirator when doing so.
                I prefer to use what I consider a better practice of proper hygiene, proper ventilation, and temperature control on my lead pot.
                The last few years my blood lead levels have consistently been in the range of 3.5mcg/dl.
                Normal level of lead for an adult is below 10 mcg/dl.
                The biggest threat to most people is having lead on your hands from lead casting or handling raw lead in some form and then smoking, chewing, eating, or drinking without proper hand washing.
                And there are no young children allowed in my lead casting area and I have no kids of my own to worry about.
                I do understand the banning of lead for waterfowl hunting.
                Because of the high probability of waterfowl eating lead on the bottom of ponds in areas where people have consistently hunted the same spots for generations.
                Lead can build up and the waterfowl eat off the bottom of the pond accidentally consuming some lead.
                But IMHO the probability of that in other wildlife is very minimal at best.
                If this passes it's just one more rung on the ladder. Eventually they'll be telling us that it's safer for the kids for us not to have guns in the home at all!

                Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
                IIRC in some places a few decades ago (maybe Ca.) there was evidence that animals that had been shot with lead bullets were contributing to the deaths of carrion eating birds. Since the lead gets ground up in their gizzard. A person can pass a chunk of lead right through.
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

                Comment


                • #9


                  Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

                  IIRC in some places a few decades ago (maybe Ca.) there was evidence that animals that had been shot with lead bullets were contributing to the deaths of carrion eating birds. Since the lead gets ground up in their gizzard. A person can pass a chunk of lead right through.
                  Ahhhh yes, the infamous California condor!
                  An endangered species not present in Alaska that was shown to be highly susceptible to lead poisoning in the way that you mentioned.
                  I've not heard of, nor have I seen, any evidence of the same thing happening with any of Alaska's birds of prey or other animals.
                  Have you?
                  Apparently what they were saying in the article is this is not about the birds it's about protecting the children.
                  Which is an entirely different argument than the California condor.
                  I certainly don't want to start comparing Alaska and California.
                  And I certainly don't want Alaska to start adopting California's policies/laws/regulations that most likely will not have the same effects here.


                  "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                  "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Without looking it up, so therefore I could be wrong, believe the CA Condor was the bird effected from eating carrion that was shot with lead.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In some ways one has to wonder if this isn't another way of starting down the road of banning firearms?
                      Start with the bullets and work your way from there.
                      Since we're on the subject of lead bans why not do the same thing for fishing tackle?
                      That way these kids aren't handling raw lead sinkers, fishing jigs, etc made from lead.
                      And we're keeping lost lead tackle from the environment.
                      Sure you're 1 lb halibut sinker will jump from $7 to $30+ but it's for the greater good is it not?
                      This could be a slippery slope if we want to start down this path.
                      The reality is I've not known or heard of anyone who's gotten lead poisoning from handling some bullets at the gun range or while out hunting.
                      I have known some people who've had elevated lead levels because they did not wear proper PPE at all times working in a processing Mill at a lead mine.
                      They knew better and we're trained properly they just didn't like wearing the PPE.
                      Of course they got caught by the boss, got a good lecture, and started using their PPE more often.
                      And I've heard of people who were casting their own fishing tackle who had lead issues but the person admitted they had terrible hygiene practices and were often smoking with lead covered hands.
                      I just don't think lead poisoning from handling lead bullets is as big an issue as some may think it is.
                      But if someone has evidence of lead issues from bullets in Alaska please post it up.





                      BTW just thought I'd throw this in there:
                      I can usually buy scrap lead locally in the neighborhood of a $1 per#.
                      Though it's not always available at that price.
                      If I buy a pallet load from someone such as Rotometals it's going to run me somewhere between $2.50 and $3 per pound.
                      A lead alternative such as bismuth will run in the neighborhood of $10 to $12 per pound.
                      And tin which can also be cast at home into fishing sinkers jigs etc. Runs in the neighborhood of $20 per pound.
                      Of course there may be additional shipping charges on top of that.
                      As of now we cannot cast our own all copper bullets at least not very easily.
                      So banning lead certainly will increase the price of things!
                      Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 4 weeks ago.
                      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                      "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Kasilofchrisn:
                        I agree with your postings (as usual) and I feel it is simply another way for controlling supply. Lots of folks don’t even notice copper prices soaring and that most of the copper is coming from China (like most things it seems), so that will be next to control. Next thing you know, we won’t be able to use split shot.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
                          Next thing you know, we won’t be able to use split shot.
                          I've been using tin split shot for 40 years.
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This is a solution looking for a problem. Although perhaps it's a side route for gun control. This article covers lead risks in young children: https://www.consumerreports.org/chil...ead-poisoning/

                            In short, elevated lead levels during childhood correlates with 1.61 IQ points per 5 mcg/dl of lead. Statistically elevated levels of lead could end up costing 3-4 pts of IQ by adulthood. In the 1970's, children averaged elevated levels (10+ mcg/dl) and today they average 1.5 mcg/dl. Today less than 1% of children have elevated levels. I'd say conditions are vastly improved just given the numbers, although lead paint still appears to be the primary source of lead in children. Perhaps we focus on that. I find it interesting the article reports the CDC recommends avoiding Mexican imported candy.

                            Money and time would be much better spent educating children, parents, and grandparents about lead sources and risks, provide testing for children, identify elevated communities if encountered, and providing local solutions if a lead hotspot is encountered. This doesn't even touch on the risks of using copper ammo, such as impacts on aquatic life.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What’s next lead sinkers on my fishing line !

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X