Case seperation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kk alaska View Post
    Well I have pulled the neck off several AI cases, and broke the button rod, on the upstroke with Redding dies no issues with RCBS dies and talked to Tech Support at Redding about the issue, they sent me tapered buttons, that helped some. if your ever in Eagle River come by and I will show you.
    I don't intend any disrespect, and I don't disbelieve that you did that. But it couldn't have had anything to do with vacuum. Did that occur with unfired brass that you were attempting to expand from .30 cal to .35 cal...and without a tapered button?!

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Very difficult on upstroke to the point of case necks breaking off then what a pain to remove case neck from button without damaging button. On 257 Roberts AI Redding dies resizing fired brass, 35 Whelen AI
      and now 280 AI all with Redding dies and FF brass. I called Redding and they sent me new tapered buttons, and they wanted me to use a lube with a Q tip inside of case necks which helped a little.
      Been reloading for 40 years and only experience this with Redding dies.

better with tapered button and all FF cases most once-fired with good brass, still not right its a bear to get button back through brass neck. I have tried cleaning dies, lubing inside of case necks, giving up on Redding dies. May not be vacum but cant see where a relief hole in a die would not hurt and RCBS works for me with no issues. And hate ruining good brass.

Comment

Interesting. I've never crossed paths with anyone who's had such extreme problems before. So you weren't using any lube before the Redding tech's advised you to? (The way you say it makes it sound like you're surprised that you should have to). What lube do you use now?
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
          Have been reloading some 30-06 brass for my 338-06. I am pushing a 250 gr. Sierra out of a Hornady case at 2500 MV. Having occasional case separation. The back 1/4 in. separates.
          Here is a pic of 2 reloads. On the right, you can see a line which is about where they usually separate. That case is on it's 4th loading. Case on the left is on it's 2nd loading after a low velocity firing to fireform case. No line is present on it.
          Can I see by the line when a case is getting ready to separate? Probably should be limiting and keeping track of number of times a case is reloaded, eh?
          Martentrapper:
          The line may not be indicative. You gotta check the inside. Like with a paper clip.

You don't wanna be livin with even Occasional, case separation. It's dangerous having that gas leaking back in your face and eyes.

Your cases are too short to the shoulders, and that's what they headspace on. Adjust your sizing die for less contact to the shoulder, so won't push it back so far.

Then they will be longer and better fit your rifle chamber. Then you won't have the separations.

There ain't a whole lot of shoulder on a 338-06 in the first place, and that MAY be a contributing factor, in getting the die adjusted properly, Can't say.

New Brass stretches and fire forms fine. It is the subsequent firings after sizing TOO MUCH that causes the stretching and eventual separations.

What I'm suggesting could be called "partial FL sizing", or "Neck Sizing with a FL die", OR just "re-adjusting the sizing die", as I have called it.

(You could measure the shoulder length of your fired cases and compare to your sized cases or rounds to see the diff, but I don't think that is necessary.) [Just find a straight wall pistol case that you can slip,over the neck of the rifle case and contacts the shoulder, then caliper, case head to case head.]

338-06 is probably a good choice for Alaska. Some folks say, a bullet of high SD at moderate velocity is a reliable game getter.

Smitty of the North.

Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
          You can't out-give God.

Comment

I use FL dies and set them so they stop sizing just before touching the shoulder. This sizes the case a bit and the neck to normal without setting back the shoulder. After they have been fired a few times you usually have to set the dies just a bit lower to set the shoulder back just a bit. Case separation is normally caused by excess headspace which can be stopped by setting the dies to stop just short of the shoulder.
            I don't crimp rifle rounds as this can cause the unsupported area just below the shoulder to spread a bit which can cause stiff chambering. Especially if you crimp heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
              Interesting. I've never crossed paths with anyone who's had such extreme problems before. So you weren't using any lube before the Redding tech's advised you to? (The way you say it makes it sound like you're surprised that you should have to). What lube do you use now?
              Used Imperial sizing wax before and after talking to Redding. After talking to Redding they advised lubing inside case neck with a Q tip. It helped but still difficult. Saw the same thing with Redding dies in my 280 AI, bought a 280 AI Lee vented die and no issues.

Brass for the 35 Whelen AI was Fire formed to the rifle set to chamber size with slight shoulder bump. Redding custom die made for my chamber.

Back to original thread question I use candle smoke or a felt pen to mark case neck and shoulder, then set die to just nudge shoulder back
              and then check fit in the chamber.
              Last edited by kk alaska; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kk alaska View Post

Used Imperial sizing wax before and after talking to Redding. After talking to Redding they advised lubing inside case neck with a Q tip. It helped but still difficult. Saw the same thing with Redding dies in my 280 AI, bought a 280 AI Lee vented die and no issues.

Brass for the 35 Whelen AI was Fire formed to the rifle set to chamber size with slight shoulder bump. Redding custom die made for my chamber.

Back to original thread question I use candle smoke or a felt pen to mark case neck and shoulder, then set die to just nudge shoulder back
                and then check fit in the chamber.
                Dunno..Never had a custom die before. My 338-06 is a custom chamber paired with a stock Redding die. All my dies, save for one, are standard off the shelf Redding dies. I use Imperial Wax and have never had a problem. Maybe a difference in the press being used? Or maybe one person's "difficult" is another persons "seems reasonably easy"...?

Comment

Or maybe when it pulls the neck off the lubricated case on the up stroke its being difficult?

RCBS press that I have used since mid 70,s.

With vented dies and Ackley improved cases no issues.

Just with Redding FL AI dies and AI cases do I experience this. KK out on this subject.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X