Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    I'd experiment some with the loads. My 7600 loves 200 grain round nose. Good deer and caribou round but maybe light for moose. My Encore I have not experimented with so much but 225 grain Woodleighs were my moose load and the result were outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• luckyak
    replied
    Update. Got to the range today, and I love this thing. Something in the ergonomics of a Ruger m77 just feel right, and it’s inherently trustworthy. Not the most accurate rifle I own but enough so that it’s good to go out to 350 yards, and with a 250 grain partition at 2550 FPS I’ve shot 308s that had more felt recoil. Lucky me.

Leave a comment:

• luckyak
    replied
    Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post

I totally agree on the 225's, Sierra or the 220 Speer as an all round load. Unless I was worried about bears the 250's and 300 aren't needed on moose and black bears. I have never recovered a bullet but like in archery, a complete pass through is good news.
    I was able to get my hands on a couple of boxes of factory Nosler ammo, 250 grain partition. I would have preferred 225s but given what’s happening at the moment I’m a happy guy—will tide me over until I can get geared up for hand loads. And i may wind up on an island hunting deer where it might not be a bad thing to have a bigger bullet, in case.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by luckyak View Post

I'm new to reloading so will see what I can find in the way of factory ammo for the moment (I know it's a long shot these days, I'll take what I can get). Ultimately for hand loads I'm thinking 225 grain or thereabouts, hopefully work up a load for a 225 grain Barnes that will reach out to 400 and since I'm unlikely ever to shoot past 300 that would be all I'll ever need for, well, pretty much anything.
    I totally agree on the 225's, Sierra or the 220 Speer as an all round load. Unless I was worried about bears the 250's and 300 aren't needed on moose and black bears. I have never recovered a bullet but like in archery, a complete pass through is good news.

Leave a comment:

• luckyak
    replied
    Well you picked the better of the two. If you reload for it you can do quite a bit. 158 grains - 300 grains.
    I'm new to reloading so will see what I can find in the way of factory ammo for the moment (I know it's a long shot these days, I'll take what I can get). Ultimately for hand loads I'm thinking 225 grain or thereabouts, hopefully work up a load for a 225 grain Barnes that will reach out to 400 and since I'm unlikely ever to shoot past 300 that would be all I'll ever need for, well, pretty much anything.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Well you picked the better of the two. If you reload for it you can do quite a bit. 158 grains - 300 grains.

Leave a comment:

• luckyak
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'll bite. 35 or 338?
    Lol apologies, I meant to say: 35 Whelen

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    Originally posted by luckyak View Post
    Just by way of update, the decision made itself. A ruger m77 all weather found its way into my hands, so that’s that. Looking forward to getting to know it.
    I'll bite. 35 or 338?

Leave a comment:

• luckyak
    replied
    Just by way of update, the decision made itself. A ruger m77 all weather found its way into my hands, so that’s that. Looking forward to getting to know it.

Leave a comment:

• ak_cowboy
    replied
    I have also have a 270 and am planning on reboring (when reloading supplies are on the shelves again) and chose the 338-06. The 338 has a wider selection of bullets and sizing up the 30-06 brass is a little easier since it's only going to .338 instead of .35.
    I don't need a brush gun, but wanted something good from 50-400 yards.

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    I was caribou hunting up north once. Came upon a bull that a friend had wounded with a .338. It was still standing so I put a .35 225 grain about 4" over from the first shot. Bull dropped and I went to look at the holes. Unless you got out a micrometer their wasn't a lick of difference in the holes. I have two .35's and love the round. I loaded up some custom 225 grain loads for the Encore to try on my March moose permit. Can't wait to see what they do.
    Yup, the only real world difference is (potentially) bullet selection/availability, and the fact the 338 has more shoulder in the chamber.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    I was caribou hunting up north once. Came upon a bull that a friend had wounded with a .338. It was still standing so I put a .35 225 grain about 4" over from the first shot. Bull dropped and I went to look at the holes. Unless you got out a micrometer their wasn't a lick of difference in the holes. I have two .35's and love the round. I loaded up some custom 225 grain loads for the Encore to try on my March moose permit. Can't wait to see what they do.

Leave a comment:

• Daved
    replied
    I looked into the two options as well and went with the Whelen.

For moose, I don't think it really matters 30- 06, 338-06, 35 Whelen. Maybe if you are expecting long range shooting over 300 yards or have a recoil issue you would lean one way or the other. However, if you are looking to have bear medicine, the choice is easy. Put as much lead out of the barrel at the highest velocity is the equation that works. So, the Whelen takes the nod. I have a 35 Whelen in Ruger M77 control round feed. Puts a big hole in hairy critters. They all die. And, I can shoot reduced load 38 bullets for plinking. A 225 partition or TSX will kill with authority. The 250g Partition even more so.

Since you reload, there is no reason to pick a cartridge that you can find ammo for. You might never find it for the 338-06 and a lot of the Whelen loads are anemic, if you can find those either.

Great discussion. I read a post by a long time contributor to this forum many years back that the only cartridge that might be better that the 30-06 is the 338-06. Not sure I entirely agree. Still like the 35 better.

Leave a comment:

• gbflyer
    replied
    <br/><br/>I have always used 4064 for the Whelen. Just curious what are the new powders you are talking about. The reason I use 4064 is because it works in several of the calibers I load for and I could hide a small can in the luggage when I worked in the villages.
    <br/><br/>

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
    Speer has some load data on their website for their 250gr Hotcore that will really open eyes to the potential of the .35 Whelen with some of the new powders. If I had to choose one it would be the Whelen.
    I have always used 4064 for the Whelen. Just curious what are the new powders you are talking about. The reason I use 4064 is because it works in several of the calibers I load for and I could hide a small can in the luggage when I worked in the villages.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X