35 vs 338

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Well you picked the better of the two. If you reload for it you can do quite a bit. 158 grains - 300 grains.
    I'm new to reloading so will see what I can find in the way of factory ammo for the moment (I know it's a long shot these days, I'll take what I can get). Ultimately for hand loads I'm thinking 225 grain or thereabouts, hopefully work up a load for a 225 grain Barnes that will reach out to 400 and since I'm unlikely ever to shoot past 300 that would be all I'll ever need for, well, pretty much anything.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyak View Post

I'm new to reloading so will see what I can find in the way of factory ammo for the moment (I know it's a long shot these days, I'll take what I can get). Ultimately for hand loads I'm thinking 225 grain or thereabouts, hopefully work up a load for a 225 grain Barnes that will reach out to 400 and since I'm unlikely ever to shoot past 300 that would be all I'll ever need for, well, pretty much anything.
      I totally agree on the 225's, Sierra or the 220 Speer as an all round load. Unless I was worried about bears the 250's and 300 aren't needed on moose and black bears. I have never recovered a bullet but like in archery, a complete pass through is good news.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post

I totally agree on the 225's, Sierra or the 220 Speer as an all round load. Unless I was worried about bears the 250's and 300 aren't needed on moose and black bears. I have never recovered a bullet but like in archery, a complete pass through is good news.
        I was able to get my hands on a couple of boxes of factory Nosler ammo, 250 grain partition. I would have preferred 225s but given what’s happening at the moment I’m a happy guy—will tide me over until I can get geared up for hand loads. And i may wind up on an island hunting deer where it might not be a bad thing to have a bigger bullet, in case.

Comment

Update. Got to the range today, and I love this thing. Something in the ergonomics of a Ruger m77 just feel right, and it’s inherently trustworthy. Not the most accurate rifle I own but enough so that it’s good to go out to 350 yards, and with a 250 grain partition at 2550 FPS I’ve shot 308s that had more felt recoil. Lucky me.

Comment

I'd experiment some with the loads. My 7600 loves 200 grain round nose. Good deer and caribou round but maybe light for moose. My Encore I have not experimented with so much but 225 grain Woodleighs were my moose load and the result were outstanding.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X