Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birchwood Price Hike. Whats up with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son worked there until all of the Covid-19 stuff started, and he told me they were in trouble with the IRS for their tax free status. The IRS did not like them saying they were a private club, and then allowing the public to shoot there for $20 a day or so and saying they were a. 1 or 2 day member. He was telling me back in November, that this was coming and that it was even possible they may be shut down, but was trying everything they could do to stay open.

Comment

Yea, there has to be a lot more to that story. While I can believe that they are having trouble managing the particular IRS status they chose to organize under. It is really not a problem to have a retail operation and still claim non-profit status. It's all about the mission and are you actually doing it.

Really it's all speculation and rumor. I hope for the sake of the community they figure out a way to stay open to the public. If not, it will be a big blow to all of us.

Comment

Like has already been said, there has to be more to the story!!! There are other non profit ranges, that do just fine and do not have to charge an arm an leg!!! Either way, there game, there rules!!!!

Comment

I was a member for the past few years but didn't renew this year because of the new daily fees. I've got 5 kids, and while not all of them are shooting yet, I was looking at an additional $12 every time I went to the range on top of my annual dues. I told them I'd be happy to pay a modest increase annually rather than get nickel and dimed every time I went. Around that same time I went to shoot during the big cold snap when it was 10 below on a weekday afternoon. I was the only shooter on the range and they had three employees working: a cashier, an RSO, and another woman playing solitaire on her computer. That just tells me they're not serious about controlling costs.

I left them a message on FB that said they may make the club a better place for older, established members, but for younger working families almost $400 a year is a big ask. It just makes it harder for families to get their kids to the range and perpetuate shooting culture. That will in turn come back around to bite us. The current Birchwood plan strategy seems incredibly short-sighted.

One last thing: the non-profit clubs I belonged to in the lower 48 were under $100 a year, and I never had to fight for a spot at the range but usually had the places to myself. All of them had excellent facilities and were run smoothly by volunteers. And this wasn't that many years ago.

Comment

The solution to this, is the same as the solution to the Federal Government shifting hunting use of Federal Land to "Subsistence Users".

The solution is owning your own rural or remote property, with your own shooting ranges. If you think it is expensive now just wait 30 years. Buy now for the children and grandchildren, and a place to spend part of retirement. Have your own land to hunt, and best if it is surrounded by Alaska State Land. I don't think you can trust the Federal Government for long term hunting access......will not matter how hard you fight, or scream, or raise hell. They simply don't care.

It is hard to find the right property now, but it will be harder in the future. It is sad to see that so much of what little private rural property there is in Alaska, is being purchased by prudent people residing in the lower-48.
            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
              The solution to this, is the same as the solution to the Federal Government shifting hunting use of Federal Land to "Subsistence Users".

The solution is owning your own rural or remote property, with your own shooting ranges. If you think it is expensive now just wait 30 years. Buy now for the children and grandchildren, and a place to spend part of retirement. Have your own land to hunt, and best if it is surrounded by Alaska State Land. I don't think you can trust the Federal Government for long term hunting access......will not matter how hard you fight, or scream, or raise hell. They simply don't care.

It is hard to find the right property now, but it will be harder in the future. It is sad to see that so much of what little private rural property there is in Alaska, is being purchased by prudent people residing in the lower-48.
              What he said. There ya go.
              "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Comment

Upper su on their web has very limited open times, 10a 6p closed Tues and Thurs, is this for all members too or graded for the different memberships or just public shooters?

It also says they are closed even more during the winter, to check with them, does anyone have knowledge on how often? For members?
                I dont want to plan to go then its closed.

Cold ranges with no RO avail, how often?

I dont see much info on members, all blanket info.

Is it or can it be busy?

I am contemplating but their open / access seems limited for my time plus the drive. Summer can stop and wet a line but winter?

Comment

Your hours of operation are correct: 10a-6p {gate closes at 6p!} but closed on Tuesday and Thursday. There must be an RSO on site to have the range open at any time. Often there will be several RSOs on site.

Generally the range is closed starting November. Opening is sometime around May. The range gets a lot more snow that ANC or the Valley. After snow melts the mud has to dry a bit to be able to use some of the ranges.

There may be people on the range other than scheduled times.

"can it be" Yes it can. Competition shoots take place and there can be a lot of people out. Some events will rent part of the range and limit use on that range. These are posted on the schedule. Some days there are very few shooters.

At present there are 3 classes of memberships: Regular, Associate (non-voting), and Life. The first 2 are good for a year and expire at the beginning of the next season.

Not sure what other information you're trying to get??

Comment

Thanks, what I was looking for to make an informed decision. I appreciate the help!!

Originally posted by LeonardC View Post
                    Your hours of operation are correct: 10a-6p {gate closes at 6p!} but closed on Tuesday and Thursday. There must be an RSO on site to have the range open at any time. Often there will be several RSOs on site.

Generally the range is closed starting November. Opening is sometime around May. The range gets a lot more snow that ANC or the Valley. After snow melts the mud has to dry a bit to be able to use some of the ranges.

There may be people on the range other than scheduled times.

"can it be" Yes it can. Competition shoots take place and there can be a lot of people out. Some events will rent part of the range and limit use on that range. These are posted on the schedule. Some days there are very few shooters.

At present there are 3 classes of memberships: Regular, Associate (non-voting), and Life. The first 2 are good for a year and expire at the beginning of the next season.

Not sure what other information you're trying to get??

Comment

What other ranges are available in the ANC/Mat-Su area with at least a 100 yard range?
                      -Tim

Comment

Rabbit creek and the range at the end of Maud Road. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X