7mm rem mag vs 280 AI with heavy for caliber bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mm rem mag vs 280 AI with heavy for caliber bullets

Hi all. Lots of talk about 280 AI being close to 7 mag performance, but I'm wondering if that's really the case for heavier 168 and 175 grain bullets? Makes sense that with 140-160 grain it could be close. Appreciate any experience of this comparison.

7 Mag is the better round, more case capacity and more ump with the heavier bullets. That being said, I have always been one to appreciate the Ackley Improved rounds. My .22-250AI is one of my best shooting and favorite rifles. I'd say go for the AI if that's what your fancy is. The 7 Mag will give you higher velocity but the .280AI will offer less recoil. The 7 Mag is easy on the shoulder anyway so recoil shouldn't be a determining factor. JMHO of course.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
      more case capacity and more ump with the heavier bullets
      Thanks!

Subquestion: I'm specifically interested in the Barnes LRX 168 grain, wondering if anyone has experience with that particular bullet in 280 AI and/or 7 mag? I would imagine it would do a little better in the 7 mag, and of course to some extent it's a rifle-specific issue, but if someone can tell me 'yeah I use it in my 280 AI and it works like a dream' that might make my decision.

Comment

[QUOTE=Forager;n2754725]Hi all. Lots of talk about 280 AI being close to 7 mag performance, but I'm wondering if that's really the case for heavier 168 and 175 grain bullets? Makes sense that with 140-160 grain it could be close. Appreciate any experience of this comparison.[/QUOTE]

How can it be the case that the 280 AI is "CLOSE" to the 7 Mag, with ANY bullet weight? when the case capacity is so much less than that of the 7 Mag.?

How can the AI velocities be so much greater than that of the standard 280, considering the tiny case capacity difference? Simple Answer, the AI is loaded to higher pressures.

There are supposed to be handloading advantages with the AI version, having to do with case stretching, but I decided NOT to make my 280 into a 280 AI. I just got a 7 Mag. Higher Velocities, at less pressures. IME, Howbeit Limited, I think the 280 is Plenty Gun, but in AK, with the bears around, I thought some extry poop, might come in handy.

I have no plans to shoot a Barnes Bullet. I've bagged Caribou with 160 grain NPTs. For 280, I use 160 Grain Speer.

Smitty of the North
        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
        You can't out-give God.

Comment

I'm pretty much with Smitty although new (in the last 10 years) powders do give the AI and Mag better efficiency that also applies to the factory 280. I started with a 7 Rem mag in a wonderful Sako Finn Bear and thought it was the best all around cartridge. Not my pick for big bears but still it would do the job with a good bullet in the right spot. I though that for a long time until I started loading for my wife's 7x57 and suddenly discovered that all I was gaining with the 7 mag was maybe a 100 yds or so in drop with bullets up to 140 gr and I wasn't a lot better out to 300 yds with up to 175 grain. I bought one of the first Remington Mountain Rifles in 280 in AK and it seemed to be the perfect compromise between the 7 mm mag and 7x57 rounds...less recoil and a good balance in range and power...what's not to like. I kept the 7 mag for years but shot the 280 all the time...best shot was a caribou at a paced 450 yds with a 140 gr. which I thought was a good shot with the skinny little barrel in the wind.

Anyway, 7 mag will certainly reach out farther/flatter than the 280 (or AI) and push a heavier bullet faster but in most cases the AI can't beat it but may be close with some loads within maybe a 100 yds or so. Big question...will higher BC and better quality bullets than I used in the '80's make up for some of that powder the mag burns to get that performance? I sold the 7 mag and still have three factory 280's but about 10 years ago I discovered the 6.5 and now I believe the 260 Rem will do pretty much what the 280 would do and the 338 Fed will do all I need for little Idaho bears so I sold my 338 Win Mag. I'd hunt AK again with either and feel very adequate with new bullets and powder...YMMV.
          Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPre

I generally consider case capacity the main consideration when comparing the potential performance, of cartridges. However, there is something else that is at least as important to consider, and that is the Maximum Pressure standard that is reflected both in FLs and Handloading Data.

Follow the above LINK and compare 270 Win to 280 Rem pressuress. I'm not suggesting that the Data for either cartridge, or other cartridges is flawed, but the 280 could be loaded to the same pressure as the 270.

Smitty of the North
            You can't out-give God.

Comment

I'm not an expert but most rounds can benefit from a little more pressure that normal within the bounds of the gun you are firing from. Don't want to start a fight BUT back in the old days...why shoot a .270 when you can do better bullets with slightly higher BC in the .280? NOW there are probably just as good bullets in .277 as in .284 and with heavier bullets you have a barrel twist that will stabilize them. Lots of folks love the .270 and it works for a lot of things. My Dad loved the .30-06 and nothing else because that's what the Garand used and it just plain WORKS he said...never could argue with that.
              Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
                I'm not an expert but most rounds can benefit from a little more pressure that normal within the bounds of the gun you are firing from. Don't want to start a fight BUT back in the old days...why shoot a .270 when you can do better bullets with slightly higher BC in the .280? NOW there are probably just as good bullets in .277 as in .284 and with heavier bullets you have a barrel twist that will stabilize them. Lots of folks love the .270 and it works for a lot of things. My Dad loved the .30-06 and nothing else because that's what the Garand used and it just plain WORKS he said...never could argue with that.
                270 is synonymous with 130 grain bullets. 1-10 twist will stabilize 150s. Beyond that, It's IFFY, or so I've heard. There is not a big selection of 270 bullets. There are lots more weight choices for 280, and faster twist rates are the norm.

Smitty of the North

You can't out-give God.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X