Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The coyotes are in for a rude awakening!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The coyotes are in for a rude awakening!

My wife has learned how to play the harmonica. Everytime she blows that thing my to bird dogs put their noses to the sky and howl or they yip like they are getting a buzz from their collars.

Last night just before dark I went 2 miles north of my house as the crow flies. I parked in a field entrance at a high vantage point. I rolled down my window and made all of the racket that I could on that harmonica. Within seconds I had coyotes yipping in all directions. Within minutes a pair popped out of a patch of government set a side grass and sat right down on their butts at 400 yards and stared at me. I had my dad's old 222 with me but didn't take that shot. I have a surprise for them coming in the mail one day soon. It's coming all of the way from Alaska to Iowa and they ain't gonna like it much. Coyotes have a special sect that we here-a-bouts call the lurkers. They hang out just beyond normal range of a 223 or 22-250. Well my secret weapon is a 7mm Remington Mag that was bestowed on me graciously by one Smitty Of the North. Along with dies and a scope that will reach them from afar. Muchest appreciated Smitty! She will make the snow red in Iowa. They were curious as heck about whatever critter made that harmonica noise onliest they didn't know it was me. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk. I have a good feeling that my new trick and shootin stick are going to be a hoot.

I have settled on a 162 grain Hornady ELD Match bullet with a ballistic coefficient of .675 and a pretty much full case of IMR 8133 that will send that bullet on it's way at 3,000 fps. I will start lower and work my way up but 3,000 fps is very doable. Shooting a coyote at 400 yards will be easy as flicking a booger at a big picture of Hillary from a foot away....if I do my part and I will. Those two coyotes last night were last years pups. They let me get out of the truck and range find them while they listened to the other coyoties object to that harmonica. One would bark to the north and the pair would turn their heads in unison and look north. Then one would bark to the south and they would both look south. They were not much interested in me. It won't be long and they will be putting the word out on the white Durango and the loud thunderstick that hates lurkers.

I'm gonna have me some fun!

Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    My wife has learned how to play the harmonica. Everytime she blows that thing my to bird dogs put their noses to the sky and howl or they yip like they are getting a buzz from their collars.

Last night just before dark I went 2 miles north of my house as the crow flies. I parked in a field entrance at a high vantage point. I rolled down my window and made all of the racket that I could on that harmonica. Within seconds I had coyotes yipping in all directions. Within minutes a pair popped out of a patch of government set a side grass and sat right down on their butts at 400 yards and stared at me. I had my dad's old 222 with me but didn't take that shot. I have a surprise for them coming in the mail one day soon. It's coming all of the way from Alaska to Iowa and they ain't gonna like it much. Coyotes have a special sect that we here-a-bouts call the lurkers. They hang out just beyond normal range of a 223 or 22-250. Well my secret weapon is a 7mm Remington Mag that was bestowed on me graciously by one Smitty Of the North. Along with dies and a scope that will reach them from afar. Muchest appreciated Smitty! She will make the snow red in Iowa. They were curious as heck about whatever critter made that harmonica noise onliest they didn't know it was me. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk. I have a good feeling that my new trick and shootin stick are going to be a hoot.

I have settled on a 162 grain Hornady ELD Match bullet with a ballistic coefficient of .675 and a pretty much full case of IMR 8133 that will send that bullet on it's way at 3,000 fps. I will start lower and work my way up but 3,000 fps is very doable. Shooting a coyote at 400 yards will be easy as flicking a booger at a big picture of Hillary from a foot away....if I do my part and I will. Those two coyotes last night were last years pups. They let me get out of the truck and range find them while they listened to the other coyoties object to that harmonica. One would bark to the north and the pair would turn their heads in unison and look north. Then one would bark to the south and they would both look south. They were not much interested in me. It won't be long and they will be putting the word out on the white Durango and the loud thunderstick yh hates lurkers.

I'm gonna have me some fun!
    You will revolutionize Coyotrie in the Midwest.

I've heard that K9s howl at harmonicas, because it hurt their ears but didn't know that the Wiley Wild Coyotees would take notice. You have them answering , so will see where it goes.

Coyote Busters from all over the world will flock to Alaska Forums to learn your techniques. This could rapidly turn into a Movement. Another Subculture is born.

BTW, I yam working on having the Coyotee skin, you Guv me into a Vest. It's only a definite Maybe at this point.

It's fun just hearing about your adventures on the Wild Prairee. You will wring the last ounce of performance from that high performance combination, I'm sure.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Comment

Long and skinny meets coyote. Those beast dont know about BC. Maybe you can get a two for one occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
        .I've heard that K9s howl at harmonicas, because it hurt their ears.....
        Well, I play the harp too and used to think that as well because my old chessie used to howl as soon as I played a note. I had to find out for myself if it was indeed hurting her ears, so I walked way off into the other room, closed the door, and played the lowest note on the thing so softly that it was barely audible. Sure nuff she still howled when she heard it. I can't say for sure that it didn't hurt her ears but I highly doubt it. I kinda think it may be more akin to how those super high pitched dog whistles work on dogs?
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Try the Speer 115gr HPs with a case full of 4831 for about 3400fps. They tend to explode the insides without blowing out the back side. Looks like I'm going to have to find my harmonica. I no longer have a 7mm Rem mag but I think my 243 will work on ol wiley.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            Well, I play the harp too and used to think that as well because my old chessie used to howl as soon as I played a note. I had to find out for myself if it was indeed hurting her ears, so I walked way off into the other room, closed the door, and played the lowest note on the thing so softly that it was barely audible. Sure nuff she still howled when she heard it. I can't say for sure that it didn't hurt her ears but I highly doubt it. I kinda think it may be more akin to how those super high pitched dog whistles work on dogs?
            Yewer probably right.

Smitty of the North
            You can't out-give God.

Comment

This could get to be a lot of fun. I went back out north of town last night but this time it was just after dark. I pulled into that drive and pulled in just far enough so that I could point my headlights off into the pasture to the north. It's about a half mile to the next hill top to the north and 1/4 mile to the fenceline to the east. My headlights swung all across that far hillside but I saw nothing. I shut the truck off and just sat there for a half hour passing my time on my phone looking at gunbroker(bad Habit of mine). The I slid out the drivers side window so that I wouldn't turn on the dome light on. I took mom's harmonica and blew as hard as I could on the three/or 4 highest notes. I did this four times and then rested for a minute then did it again. I did this off and on while standing motionless next to the drivers door. Our snow is about gone and it was cloudy so it was real hard to detect any movement but boy were they yapping. it got to the point where I could tell that at least one of them was not far away. I reached through the window and turned the headlights on bright. I had 2 sets of eyeballs looking at me from 80-100 yards away. They were just on the left edge of where my headlights were shining but both just trotted to the right across in front of the truck and the headlights. I could have killed them both however hunting with artificial light is illegal in Iowa, besides I was experimenting. So far so good!

Comment

I read your first post to the wife yest, EKC. The wife picked me up a harmonica yest aftrnn when she returned from town grocery shopping. Gonna give it a try around here.

Comment

The first thing I thought when I was reading this thread was " It sounds like you might want to practice a little more before you play in front of guests!" haha!! I love it!

Comment

I speculate, that since there are a lot of Coyotes, making them top of the food chain, this causes/allows them to be aggressive.

In which case, they tend to investigate and challenge things they don't understand.

They will NEVER figure out EKC. He has their number.

Smitty of the North
                    You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
                      I read your first post to the wife yest, EKC. The wife picked me up a harmonica yest aftrnn when she returned from town grocery shopping. Gonna give it a try around here.
                      Maybe, Do it before them bars come outta hiber.

Smitty of the North
                      You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                        Maybe, Do it before them bars come outta hiber.
                        Smitty of the North
                        I like shooting bars, too! Just like to have my bigger gun with me.
                        EKC.... what kind of song do they like? Lots of high notes, Id guess?

Comment

I just use the last three or four high notes and blow out through and inhale through those holes at a sort of slow rate. I'm gonna be honest I don't know what the heck I'm doing but I can just imagine what's going through those coyotes minds.....did you hear that Nute? Yup I shore did but I ain't never heard that before. Sounds like somethin's got it's nuts in a vice.....What kinda critter you reckon that is Lewy? I dunno but it's making me hungry and I am 'bout fed up with eaten cow dung! Lets go kill the heck out of it and eat it whatever it is! Well they ain't eating nothin but lead if I got my way about it!

I think part of it is a matter of having three or four litters of last springs pups that are being reared so close to town that hey aren't very street smart yet. I'm probably the only one that has messed with them much. They are going to have to get smart or die as I haven't got much else to do right now.

March 9th is the next full moon! I hope we can get at least a dusting of snow for that moon to shine down on. Last year we had 30 inches of snow in February. We have only had three inches all month this year and very little frost so a fella has to be carful where he drives. Farmers don't take a shine to hunters cutting ruts in their fields. I won't be one of those hunters.

Comment

55gr in the Tikka .243 makes out to 400 yd shot on crows easy with a fine hair 10x Weaver. I got rid of my 7 mags 'cuz they hurt too much.

Been thinking of learning to play the gittar...maybe the harmonica is a better idea if the dogs will allow it.
                            Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

EKC:
                              What is the plan? Do you hope to lure these Coyotees off the closed area to where they are bagable? Then polish them off at long range?

You do it at night, but when it's light enough to see them. Because artificial light is not allowed?

I suppose baiting is also agin the law. This plan will take some coming together.

Smitty of the North
                              You can't out-give God.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X