.348 Imp or 35-348 Imp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .348 Imp or 35-348 Imp

I'm probably going to take a perfectly good Mirkoru Win. Mod 71 and turn it into a 35-348 Ackley Improved. Then I will finally have an old style lever gun throwing a good 250 grain bonded Woodleigh or Kodiak at true .35 Whelen ballistics. Some where between 2,500 and 2,600 fps mv.

Ain't like I need it as I have my little .356 Win. But, need rarely wins out against want when it comes to another gun.

If any of you have any experience with a .348 Ack. Imp. or a 35-348 Ack. Imp. I would like to hear all about it. I could use the same bullets as the .356 Win. if I go with the 35-348 version.

Be aware that when you change the shoulder on the 348 to something bigger around and sharper, it may not feed very well. The 71 is made to feed torpedo shaped cartridges. Just keep it a 348. Woodleigh makes bullets for that. They'll work great.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Comment

No experience here. I know someone who claims to have a 35-348. Sounded good. I never cared for 348 ballistics. A plain neck-up sounds good to me. Especially in light of what Gunbugs posted
      Smitty of the North
      Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
      Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
      You can't out-give God.

Comment

338 mag:
        I will break this to you as gently as possible. You do not need,,, "35 Whelen ballistics. Somewhere between 2,500 and 2,600 fps mv.vv. "

You must think in terms of Flat Shooting, and Penetration. Of Sectional Density, of manageable Recoil, and the magic of VELOCITY.

Your Namesake, "338 mag" is a better choice than what you are now considering. In short, you are choosing in the Wrongggggg direction. The answer to your dilemma is clear to me. We are talkin, plentiful, affordable, and "popular" among the knowledgeable and just plain Lucky.

Yes, it IS, Of Course it IS, the 7mm Magnum, specifically, the "7mm Remington Magnum". Theese modern cartridge has everything needed, Yet, never too much. It is potent enough for the ethical taking of ALL Northern Amrican Big Game, Including the Great Bears.

(T. Treadwell could be alive still today, had he acquired a 7mm Remington Magnum, and used it judiciously, bumping off those bears at distance.)

And, of course, it has worked wonderfully in the gamefields of Africa.

When you come to your senses, give me a holler. I have several boxes of 7mm RM FLs that need a home.

Smitty of the North
        You can't out-give God.

Comment

I'd probably leave it a 348 Win. Run a ballistics chart on the 250gr 348 at 2350 vs 2550. I doubt you will find enough difference in drop to 300yds to make a real world difference. But, as you said, it's not that you need to. Sometimes you just need to do something just because you want to. I bought a 358 Norma so I would have a good big bear gun but then decided I didn't really want a big bear hide. Anyway it doesn't get shot much as my pre 64 in 300H&H is my favorite hunting rifle and seems to kill things dead enough.

Comment

Originally posted by rbuck351 View Post
            I'd probably leave it a 348 Win. Run a ballistics chart on the 250gr 348 at 2350 vs 2550. I doubt you will find enough difference in drop to 300yds to make a real world difference. But, as you said, it's not that you need to. Sometimes you just need to do something just because you want to. I bought a 358 Norma so I would have a good big bear gun but then decided I didn't really want a big bear hide. Anyway it doesn't get shot much as my pre 64 in 300H&H is my favorite hunting rifle and seems to kill things dead enough.
            I sure would wanna check on bullet selection and availability before making the choice. Need FN or at least, RN for LAs.

Smitty of the North
            You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
              338 mag:
              I will break this to you as gently as possible. You do not need,,, "35 Whelen ballistics. Somewhere between 2,500 and 2,600 fps mv.vv. "

You must think in terms of Flat Shooting, and Penetration. Of Sectional Density, of manageable Recoil, and the magic of VELOCITY.

Your Namesake, "338 mag" is a better choice than what you are now considering. In short, you are choosing in the Wrongggggg direction. The answer to your dilemma is clear to me. We are talkin, plentiful, affordable, and "popular" among the knowledgeable and just plain Lucky.

Yes, it IS, Of Course it IS, the 7mm Magnum, specifically, the "7mm Remington Magnum". Theese modern cartridge has everything needed, Yet, never too much. It is potent enough for the ethical taking of ALL Northern Amrican Big Game, Including the Great Bears.

(T. Treadwell could be alive still today, had he acquired a 7mm Remington Magnum, and used it judiciously, bumping off those bears at distance.)

And, of course, it has worked wonderfully in the gamefields of Africa.

When you come to your senses, give me a holler. I have several boxes of 7mm RM FLs that need a home.

Smitty of the North
              Well he did say he wanted an "old style lever gun" as well as, "....But need rarely wins out against want when it comes to another gun."......

Can't blame a man for wanting what he wants.....lol.
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                Well he did say he wanted an "old style lever gun" as well as, "....But need rarely wins out against want when it comes to another gun."......

Can't blame a man for wanting what he wants.....lol.
                Quite True, Quite True. I suppose it's OK, to dilly dally around with a 348 LA, IF he has a 7mm RM mag, but I've seen no evidence of that.

Those mdl 71Winchesters have a smooth action, but they're heavy. They are a real prize, no matter what they are chambered for.

Smitty of the North
                You can't out-give God.

Comment

I couldn't surrender my original barrel ( First year production 1937) to have it modified. So found a replacement and WWG did it. Absolutely NO regrets there. It's been a while but I can dig out my notes if... Something like 2400fps + with a 250gr woodleigh which in theory gives you over 3000 foot pounds at the muzzle. It's a proven rifle to me and I wouldn't trade for anything. Beautiful balance and I could go on.

Comment

I hosed a 9.5' brown bear with a bone stock .348 that used to belong to Dr. Gaede. A deluxe model that he hauled all over Alaska in his plane. It took more than 1 shot. In fact at 25 paces there was a tactical reload. LOL. The 71 hold 5 rounds, you do the math. It was quite exciting. I also hosed a fork horn bull moose with it. That was one and done. Tipped him right over backwards. My ammo was hand loads with Hornady bullets. Fun times.
                    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X