Shooting Bears at night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Bears at night.

This could be dangerous. Perhaps some thought should be given to it.

Does a Campfire deter bears? What about Light? Probably, someone here, amongst the reliable info givers, has had an experience that is indicative.

On one hunting trip, I burned a small kerosene lantern every night, all night long. Actually, it would run out of fuel before morning.

I don't know, and that's why I'm asking, but I've always thought that fire or light would have some deterrent effect.

Come this August, I will have lived in the GREATLAND for 60 years. I figure this is something that I SHOULD know if it CAN be known. Somebody, help me out

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Kind'a depends on where you are camped.....my most horrific night was seven Brown Bears in camp all night long. Realistically most places there is just not enough wood to keep a fire going all night., especially in the late fall months.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
      Kind'a depends on where you are camped.....my most horrific night was seven Brown Bears in camp all night long. Realistically most places there is just not enough wood to keep a fire going all night., especially in the late fall months.
      I remember you sharing that story. Yikes.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Personally, I believe fire does stave off animals....to a point. Kinda depends on the size of the fire (and smoke) I imagine. They do it in Africa all the time for the big cats.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Iím pretty sure Gregg (aktroutbum) has one hell of a story about dealing with bears throughout the night as well. Maybe heíll chime in.

Comment

The problem is that when it is a lot of bears, you can't shoot them.
            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
              Personally, I believe fire does stave off animals....to a point. Kinda depends on the size of the fire (and smoke) I imagine. They do it in Africa all the time for the big cats.
              I hadn't heard that about Africa. Thanks.

Are you aware of instances of bears hanging around a camp at night? Perhaps, deterred by Fire, or smoke?

Or, entering camp in spite of fire or light?

Smitty of the North
              You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                The problem is that when it is a lot of bears, you can't shoot them.
                Just crank up the volume on your Boom Box. The bears will not even hear your 375 barking. From then on it's a matter of how much ammo you brought and not wasting it.

Did you have a fire? A light? That the bears ignored?

OR, was there food in your camp that attracted said bears?

Smitty of the North
                You can't out-give God.

Comment

I heard one time that road flares were good for bear deterrent situations. I can't say that iffen I had 7 brown bears sneaking around my camp that I'd open the tent and say have some of this and try to run them off with a road flare. Same article said air horns work too. Since the article was written by some guy in Kansas I'm guessing that he was doing a lot of supposing on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
                    I heard one time that road flares were good for bear deterrent situations. I can't say that iffen I had 7 brown bears sneaking around my camp that I'd open the tent and say have some of this and try to run them off with a road flare. Same article said air horns work too. Since the article was written by some guy in Kansas I'm guessing that he was doing a lot of supposing on the matter.
                    I've heard that too. I can't remember any details, though. It might be a good idea to keep some handy around camp.

One time ago, I took my Lovely Wife on a fly-in fishing trip, and we camped on a gravel bar in a little tent, near a huge lake. The only thing we did was leave our food, 75 to 100 yards down the beach. I figgered a bear would eat the food before getting around to us.

We didn't have any visitors that night. I can't remember if we had a fire, but probably. I'm sure I didn't have it going all night, though.

Next day, a Blackie showed up, at the fishing hole. It wandered off after I fired a shot. Looking back, I probably wasn't as concerned as I should have been.

Smitty of the North
                    You can't out-give God.

Comment

I have never had a bear bother me at night in a tent. I also never liked those little back pack tents and preferred a tarp. Always felt like I was the main ingredient in a sub sandwich in those little tents. I also was not a sheep hunter, but did love spring bear hunts for griz in the interior. Next to a cabin a floorless wall tent is my preference as they are easy to get out of and can be down right comfortable with stove and cots.

I would light one of those 8 hour candles and put it in an aluminum pie pan. When the LED lanterns showed up I often hung a remote controlled LED lantern out side, as well as inside the tent. That gave me light in the tent and out side, which my wife and girls liked, me too. But, like I said, I am not aware of any bear visitors in camp, but know they passed with in 50 yards by their scat and tracks.

A friend was in their moose cam in the Alphabet Hills back in the 70's when him and a couple of others hear a griz coming, he said it was snorting and grunting and brushed up against the side of the tent by him and just kept going off into the night. He didn't fall back to sleep that night. Another friend was on the Koyukuk and they were sleeping on the 26' boat, the next morning there were griz tracks going right by a moose head laying on the beach by the boat. From the sign he thinks the bear never stopped to mess with the head. Bears are strange critters at times.

Another guy I worked with in the early 90's flew across Cook Inlet to hunt caribou. He showed me a picture of a bear laying part way in the door of his little sub sandwich tent. He said he heard it and when he looked out of his tent the bear saw him and quickly came towards him. He got to the back of his tiny tent and dropped the sow as she entered the door way with one shot from his 7mm Rem. Mag. For good measure he shot it again and then took a deep breath and crawled over the top of it and took the picture he showed me. Dang!

I suspect many of us have had bears with in close proximity to our camps at night, but never knew they were there. I also suspect most bears that never had much exposure to people clear out as soon as they get our scent and I have watched grizzlies do this when I was certain they never saw us.

Having and aggressive bear in camp at night would be a scary deal. Keep the light on for them if ya can!

Comment

Always have been told mothballs thrown around would keep them away. I use them, never had a bear in camp but maybe there wern't any bears. Also do all business scraps way far away from camp and food way far away. When possible I like a fire, it just seems more like a wilderness hunt and provides a warmer more friendly atmosphere for story telling. I sleep well with my 500 Smith

Comment

Many's the time I camped under a tarp. Or, some visquine, because its lighter to pack. I would make a leanto, and have the fire out front. That's for the woods, mostly. I've used pup tents, in a storm, all kinds of tents. I like tents.

I agree, that I don't wanna be stuck in one, esp a little one if a bear visits. With a leanto, you have room to move. You can hang a light, or build up a fire and see whats goin on.

I'm pretty sure that a fire offers some animal deterrent. I've less confidence in a light. Mothballs deter me, I dunno about bears.

Thanks

Smitty of the North
                          You can't out-give God.

Comment

If you're concerned about a few bears in camp at night, I'd suggest setting a strong electric fence up around camp... and storing foods >100 yards away in a location that is easily accessible to the bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Wet eNuf View Post
                              If you're concerned about a few bears in camp at night, I'd suggest setting a strong electric fence up around camp... and storing foods >100 yards away in a location that is easily accessible to the bears.
                              I'm not giving my food or game to the bears. They're gonna have to come take it. And suffer the consequences.
                              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X