Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting Bears at night.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If you know what a bear is going to do next, then you know more than the Bear. famous quote from?
    Tim

    Comment


    • #17
      I'm a firm believer that bears are deterred by campfires. I recall a spring black bear/grizzly bear hunt I guided one time about 15-20 years ago. I was over by the Tazlina glacier. We spotted something like 25-30 black bears in a span of about 5 days. The client passed up a couple opportunities and never found the bear he wanted. Make a long story short, on about the 4th or 5th day, we (he) decided the heck with it and he wanted a fire. Up until that point we refrained from making any fires. Every day we spotted bears up on the hillside. They didn't stay out too long and after about 10-15 minutes of munching on some spring grass they would retreat into the thick alders. But after we made that fire, absolutely NOTHING. Not one single bear came out the day after we made those fires. It was really strange. After that I became a believer. Moose and caribou are different. Numerous times I've seen them after repeatedly making fires. Heck, I've even seen bull moose come in to a camp with an active fire. Not sure if it's the smell they are curious about or the sound of my bull grunts, cow calls, thrashing or breaking sticks. But needless to say they don't seem to mind. I did see a small herd of caribou spook from a campfire once though. It was kind of comical. Because when they caught the scent they started running back into the direction they came from, but then they caught a swirl from the other direction and they turned right back around and went the other direction. Then they caught another swirl and turned back again. They did this about 4-5 times before they finally just decided to hightail it back where they came from. Needless to say I don't think they are really smart enough to really avoid campfires, but I think if maybe they happen to come close to your camp, it might spook them away and it might not. You can't ever predict what a caribou is gonna do anyway. I think that is really their only strength. The fact that they are so unpredictable.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mit View Post
        If you know what a bear is going to do next, then you know more than the Bear. famous quote from?
        Timothy Treadwell....???

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
          I'm not giving my food or game to the bears. They're gonna have to come take it. And suffer the consequences.
          I agree. If I'm gonna take the time to put up a elec. fence,(never have) I'm sure as hell not gonna make it easy for a bear to take my food. All you're doing then is teaching them that people means food somewhere around....just like people feeding them in a park. On the other hand, if they come into camps because they smell food and end up getting stung a few times, they might just figure it out that food/people/ also means danger. Many bears are smart enough to realize that food ain't worth it.
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
            Timothy Treadwell....???
            Ha! I was thinking the same thing!
            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
              I'm a firm believer that bears are deterred by campfires. I recall a spring black bear/grizzly bear hunt I guided one time about 15-20 years ago. I was over by the Tazlina glacier. We spotted something like 25-30 black bears in a span of about 5 days. The client passed up a couple opportunities and never found the bear he wanted. Make a long story short, on about the 4th or 5th day, we (he) decided the heck with it and he wanted a fire. Up until that point we refrained from making any fires. Every day we spotted bears up on the hillside. They didn't stay out too long and after about 10-15 minutes of munching on some spring grass they would retreat into the thick alders. But after we made that fire, absolutely NOTHING. Not one single bear came out the day after we made those fires. It was really strange. After that I became a believer. Moose and caribou are different. Numerous times I've seen them after repeatedly making fires. Heck, I've even seen bull moose come in to a camp with an active fire. Not sure if it's the smell they are curious about or the sound of my bull grunts, cow calls, thrashing or breaking sticks. But needless to say they don't seem to mind. I did see a small herd of caribou spook from a campfire once though. It was kind of comical. Because when they caught the scent they started running back into the direction they came from, but then they caught a swirl from the other direction and they turned right back around and went the other direction. Then they caught another swirl and turned back again. They did this about 4-5 times before they finally just decided to hightail it back where they came from. Needless to say I don't think they are really smart enough to really avoid campfires, but I think if maybe they happen to come close to your camp, it might spook them away and it might not. You can't ever predict what a caribou is gonna do anyway. I think that is really their only strength. The fact that they are so unpredictable.
              Thanks Bushwhack:

              That's the kinda info I was looking for.
              Smitty of the North
              Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
              Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
              You can't out-give God.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by mit View Post
                If you know what a bear is going to do next, then you more than the Bear. famous quote from?
                I've used that line a time or two. I never said it was original. I think it's a good thing to believe, worth
                far more than crazy ideas about bear behavior. False expectations can be bad for your health.

                Lectric. fences are a lotta trouble, and foreign to the idea of camping. I doubt that they work. They work on cows, but cows don't have all that fur insulation.

                Dangling food, up in a tree, just outta their reach, might be counter productive. ??? Besides, you won't always find a tree.

                Nuisance bears should be shot. Nuff said.

                Smitty of the North
                Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                You can't out-give God.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                  I'm a firm believer that bears are deterred by campfires. I recall a spring black bear/grizzly bear hunt I guided one time about 15-20 years ago. I was over by the Tazlina glacier. We spotted something like 25-30 black bears in a span of about 5 days. The client passed up a couple opportunities and never found the bear he wanted. Make a long story short, on about the 4th or 5th day, we (he) decided the heck with it and he wanted a fire. Up until that point we refrained from making any fires. Every day we spotted bears up on the hillside. They didn't stay out too long and after about 10-15 minutes of munching on some spring grass they would retreat into the thick alders. But after we made that fire, absolutely NOTHING. Not one single bear came out the day after we made those fires. It was really strange. After that I became a believer. Moose and caribou are different. Numerous times I've seen them after repeatedly making fires. Heck, I've even seen bull moose come in to a camp with an active fire. Not sure if it's the smell they are curious about or the sound of my bull grunts, cow calls, thrashing or breaking sticks. But needless to say they don't seem to mind. I did see a small herd of caribou spook from a campfire once though. It was kind of comical. Because when they caught the scent they started running back into the direction they came from, but then they caught a swirl from the other direction and they turned right back around and went the other direction. Then they caught another swirl and turned back again. They did this about 4-5 times before they finally just decided to hightail it back where they came from. Needless to say I don't think they are really smart enough to really avoid campfires, but I think if maybe they happen to come close to your camp, it might spook them away and it might not. You can't ever predict what a caribou is gonna do anyway. I think that is really their only strength. The fact that they are so unpredictable.
                  Hunting black bears up in the berries in the fall, I have seen them disappear pretty much all at one time. Usually due to rain starting up. Then again seen them all come back out when the sun starts shining. One minute not a bear in sight, and suddenly every hillside has a few.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                    Hunting black bears up in the berries in the fall, I have seen them disappear pretty much all at one time. Usually due to rain starting up. Then again seen them all come back out when the sun starts shining. One minute not a bear in sight, and suddenly every hillside has a few.
                    Rain don't bother them fish. I shouldn't think it would bother bears that much.

                    Smitty of the North
                    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                    You can't out-give God.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                      This could be dangerous. Perhaps some thought should be given to it.

                      Does a Campfire deter bears? What about Light? Probably, someone here, amongst the reliable info givers, has had an experience that is indicative.

                      On one hunting trip, I burned a small kerosene lantern every night, all night long. Actually, it would run out of fuel before morning.

                      I don't know, and that's why I'm asking, but I've always thought that fire or light would have some deterrent effect.

                      Come this August, I will have lived in the GREATLAND for 60 years. I figure this is something that I SHOULD know if it CAN be known. Somebody, help me out

                      Thanks
                      Smitty of the North
                      Years ago we had two bears come into camp in the middle of the night on Kodiak and take all (5), of our deer. There was a big storm that night and we didn't even hear them until the next morning after the storm had passed. The next night around 9:00 they were back in camp and looking for more. We had plenty of drift wood for fire fuel, and ended up making one of the largest bon fires I have ever built. The fire and smoke, and actually gunfire practically clipping their toenails, hitting them with rocks, you name it, did nothing to deter these bears. They would pressure us from both sides while smoke and hot cinder from the fire would blow into one or the others face...they could give a rats ass. Anyway, long story short, we killed them both on the third night at about 2:00 am.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                        Nuisance bears should be shot. Nuff said.
                        Problem is if you have hunters they are not happy watching their guide teach bear skinning 101 class for $2,000.00 a day. Especially if it is many dead bears. Plus someone pays to ship them to F&G. And F&G not going to be happy that the guide will not be able to do the paper work for DLP till two or three plus months he will be in the field. Then there is this several hundred or several thousand pounds of fresh bloody bear meat in camp.
                        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                          Problem is if you have hunters they are not happy watching their guide teach bear skinning 101 class for $2,000.00 a day. Especially if it is many dead bears. Plus someone pays to ship them to F&G. And F&G not going to be happy that the guide will not be able to do the paper work for DLP till two or three plus months he will be in the field. Then there is this several hundred or several thousand pounds of fresh bloody bear meat in camp.
                          Your life is way too complex.

                          Nuisance Bears are the ones that get into your garbage before the truck comes. ADF&G is too reluctant to shoot them, and it's illegal to shoot them, yourself.

                          I would like it to be legal to shoot bears if they are perceived to be a threat. Even in the wilds when you are camped, but I spose that could lead to some problems, including some logistic issues.

                          Still, allowing bears to traipse around in your camp, would be asking for trouble. Or, so it seems to me.

                          I not sure what the situation, you're trying to describe, but if you commonly have multiple bears in camp, or close. You should oughta MOVE.


                          Shooting threatening bears not only simplifys matters, which makes it safer, but it also makes the bears smarter, and more fearful.

                          Smitty of the North
                          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                          You can't out-give God.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                            Shooting threatening bears not only simplifys matters, which makes it safer, but it also makes the bears smarter, and more fearful.

                            Smitty of the North
                            I always have to SMH at this assertion. Shooting a bear makes it dead. How do you reckon being dead makes it smarter and more fearful?
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by AK Troutbum View Post
                              Years ago we had two bears come into camp in the middle of the night on Kodiak and take all (5), of our deer. There was a big storm that night and we didn't even hear them until the next morning after the storm had passed. The next night around 9:00 they were back in camp and looking for more. We had plenty of drift wood for fire fuel, and ended up making one of the largest bon fires I have ever built. The fire and smoke, and actually gunfire practically clipping their toenails, hitting them with rocks, you name it, did nothing to deter these bears. They would pressure us from both sides while smoke and hot cinder from the fire would blow into one or the others face...they could give a rats ass. Anyway, long story short, we killed them both on the third night at about 2:00 am.
                              Interesting story. I take it you guys both had kodiak brown bear tags? Or was this situation a DLP? I think bears that have become accustomed to humans behave very differently than your average ordinary bears that make an honest living in the wild (so to speak). Case in point, look at Anchorage. Bears coming into peoples yards, breaking into peoples windows, etc. You never see this kind of behavior in the valley. Bears are too smart for that kind of behavior in the valley. They know they'll get shot at the first time they come out in broad daylight in the valley. IMHO.

                              Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                              I always have to SMH at this assertion. Shooting a bear makes it dead. How do you reckon being dead makes it smarter and more fearful?
                              True to a point. But I think what he was referring to was bears that were either wounded, or possibly young cubs that see their mothers get shot and they survive to become an adult and learn from the experience. Those are the types of scenarios that produce an educated bear. I know I've skinned bears that have been shot at and I've heard of many other examples from other people. I skinned a brown bear on the peninsula one time that was peppered with bird shot on his hind quarter. I'm sure that taught him a valuable lesson.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                                .I skinned a brown bear on the peninsula one time that was peppered with bird shot on his hind quarter....
                                I did too....it looked like 6 shot. But it wasn't in the hind quarter, it was in the face and front paws. Lucky it wasn't blinded.

                                And I agree, bears need to learn by experience. Just like a sow will teach it's cubs to get into home garbage or into a park for easy pickings, they will also teach them to avoid food that is associated with people if they've been stung before.
                                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X