broken trigger gaurd ruger american 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yfarm1 View Post
    I own a all weather compact RA in 308, use a slip on pad to get normal lop. Thought I might like a full size stock, called Ruger, they were happy to sell me a standard size replacement stock for $50. Who gave you the $200 price? I would Contact Ruger directly if you haven't already.
    thanks
    I "told " my son to contact ruger direct. who gave him 200, I don't know unless he was looking at aftermarket and did not tell me that part

Comment

What about a conduit strap? your choice of plastic or galvanized. I bought an American as well knowing that could happen. I guess for the price I took a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by daveybug View Post
        What about a conduit strap? your choice of plastic or galvanized. I bought an American as well knowing that could happen. I guess for the price I took a chance.
        my thought too on a conduit strap, gonna get some today, it would at least hold him over for this weekend. so he has time to figure out what kind of stock he wants to get. Ruger replacement stocks ( from ruger) are out of stock, but most affordable way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by daveybug View Post
          Sorry guys, but REALLY??? You're willing to gamble on protecting a trigger with conduit strap? Is it worth the risk? A life? An eye? Is there no other option? Just not something I'd do.
          Last edited by DoughNut; 09-26-2019, 06:56. Reason: typing errors

Comment

Originally posted by DoughNut View Post
            Sorry guys, but REALLY??? You're willing to gamble on protecting a trigger with conduit strap? Is it worth the risk? A life? An eye? Is there no other option? Just not something I'd do.
            Wouldn't be my choice either, but a METAL conduit strap screwed on to a stock (if it was the right size), is going nowhere and would protect a trigger just like an actual trigger guard. You do what you need to do to be out in the field. Alaskans always have.
            If it was me, I'd figure a better, more permanent way, such as getting 1/2" or 5/8" by 1/8' strap and heat-bending it to shape, drilling, tapping, bluing, etc., but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by DoughNut View Post
              I don't like the idea of a temp fix on a gun, but it would be solid and hold esp for one more moose hunt this weekend. If it does not feel solid it wont go to the field. I ownt allow it, don't think he would either. screwing on something metal would be better than another piece of plastic ( original).
              A new stock is the correct answer and will be coming, just not in time.
              He also does not walk around with one in the chamber, he never has, so not like it will accidently shoot when being carried

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                Wouldn't be my choice either, but a METAL conduit strap screwed on to a stock (if it was the right size), is going nowhere and would protect a trigger just like an actual trigger guard. You do what you need to do to be out in the field. Alaskans always have.
                If it was me, I'd figure a better, more permanent way, such as getting 1/2" or 5/8" by 1/8' strap and heat-bending it to shape, drilling, tapping, bluing, etc., but that's just me.
                thank you for your ideas, I too thought about bending something to shape. Just found out that no hunting for him this weekend, so might be a mute point now, he is ordering a new stock. What stock I don't know.
                just seems stupid that a gun can become unsafe just by bumping a trigger guard and breaking it off. poor design..but gets certain guns into a price point. But yes it is unsafe now and agree the trigger guard is a very important safety feature. Maybe they are not so brittle at temps above freezing. It was below freezing when his broke. He is very safe when handling firearms and was so surprised it broke off.
                Mine has metal guards, and im gonna make sure that my next rifle has metal and/or quickly and easily replaceable guard. esp if I go to a plastic stock, mine is old school wood now

thanks everyone for the advice and all those concerned with safety

Comment

Originally posted by papabear3 View Post
                  thank you for your ideas, I too thought about bending something to shape. Just found out that no hunting for him this weekend, so might be a mute point now, he is ordering a new stock. What stock I don't know.
                  just seems stupid that a gun can become unsafe just by bumping a trigger guard and breaking it off. poor design..but gets certain guns into a price point. But yes it is unsafe now and agree the trigger guard is a very important safety feature. Maybe they are not so brittle at temps above freezing. It was below freezing when his broke. He is very safe when handling firearms and was so surprised it broke off.
                  Mine has metal guards, and im gonna make sure that my next rifle has metal and/or quickly and easily replaceable guard. esp if I go to a plastic stock, mine is old school wood now

thanks everyone for the advice and all those concerned with safety
                  It's a trade-off. I have ground off and replaces the built-in trigger guard on two entry-level rifles because I wanted a metal trigger guard. They probably would never have broken off, but it just seemed more durable to do that. A preemptive strike; a stitch in time...

Comment

I've been agin plastic trigger guards since they came out on economy
                    rifles. It sounds like they are breaking right and left, or there wouldn't be after market guards available. However, it's good to know that a repair is available.

I bought a wood stock Savage BA 22 mag at a gunshow, and then discovered the PLASTIC trigger guard was broken. I suspect that it likely broke when the Vendor brought it in. It could have been banged by another gun. I managed to replace it with a metal guard from Numrich. It was made for a different gun, but a little bending made it fit, screwing it into the same holes. I won't call it Yankee Ingenuity, cause I ain't no yankee.

Those RAs are appealing because of the price. I can see why they are popular. It's a kinda clever design, but the triggers look flimsy, and the stock, at least on the early ones, look like they were made by a Toy Manufacturer.

Smitty of the North
                    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                    You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                      It's a trade-off. I have ground off and replaces the built-in trigger guard on two entry-level rifles because I wanted a metal trigger guard. They probably would never have broken off, but it just seemed more durable to do that. A preemptive strike; a stitch in time...
                      Velly Cleva. And I thought RAs were not customizable.

SOTN
                      Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                      Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                      You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                        Velly Cleva. And I thought RAs were not customizable.

SOTN
                        ANYTHING is customizable in the hands of the right Rube Goldberg!......lol
                        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by papabear3 View Post
                          im old, so are my rifles, all wood stocks
                          Don't feel alone my friend....
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                            ANYTHING is customizable in the hands of the right Rube Goldberg!......lol
                            Oh, gosh! Should I take that personally?

Comment

Rather than going new on the budget rifle, go used and old. A $350-450 husvarna 1640 Will leave you in disbelief. A five-down, lightweight Swedish mauser that is lighter than a model 70 featherweight.
                              www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
                              sigpic
                              matnaggewinu

Comment

I bought an old Rem 700 260 in a B&C $250 stock for $400 of GB. A LNIB 7600 30-06 for $350. List goes on much to my wife’s disappointment. Keep your eyes open, shop around and find a quality lifelong gun for a reasonable price.

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X