Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally, .356 Win.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    How do you ruin a rifle? Easy get it magnaported....

    Comment


    • #17
      Oh 1980 called they want their magnaport back..

      Comment


      • #18
        Hey 323,
        I am all ears and usually wiling to learn some new about guns in general. How does Mag Na Porting ruin a rifle? My Marlin 45-70, Mod. 70 .338 and S&W .44 Mag. Mountain Gun are all Mag Na Ported.

        I believe it cuts down on muzzle jump and eliminates about 20% of the recoil with out increasing muzzle blast. But, a friend of mine does not like it and believes it makes guns louder.

        I do believe it could "ruin" a gun if one views it as a collector piece.

        Comment


        • #19
          It sure tames muzzle jump for me. Shot a friend's Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and you could actually SEE the bullet impact through the scope. Had my own bolt 375 Magnaported, and suddenly I can see bullet impact through the scope on it, too. No way, no how for that to happen before Magnaporting. The Smith 4" M29 and M629 are notorious for muzzle flip. But shooting side by side with my 7.5" Redhawk 44, my Magnaported 4" 629 has lots less flip, and is actually controllable in double action rapid fire. Yup, I sure ruined those guns!
          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
          Merle Haggard

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
            But, a friend of mine does not like it and believes it makes guns louder.
            .
            Believes it makes it louder? How about it does... nothing better than a good ol ear splitter.. it's your's have fun with it.. you ever seen a pre 64 model 70and it's been bubbafide and has some odd ball muzzle break and go chit why would they do that to that pre64? Well in 10 yrs someone going to say the same thing about that model 94 big bore you have in that 356.. chit why did they magna port..

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
              It sure tames muzzle jump for me. Shot a friend's Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and you could actually SEE the bullet impact through the scope. Had my own bolt 375 Magnaported, and suddenly I can see bullet impact through the scope on it, too. No way, no how for that to happen before Magnaporting.
              You are so full of chit... how fast was that bullet going to see it impact? How far were you shooting? In your case that bullet was going so **** slow you saw the bullet trace at 100yds.

              Comment


              • #22
                I gather that Porting is preferable to a Muzzle Brake, but for me, the most unpleasant thing about shooting is the noise and muzzle blast.

                Sooo, I don't wanna deal with either. Also, I've HEARD, that Porting can allow sparks in your face. ???? About that, but it's notta happy thought.

                Smitty of the North
                Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                You can't out-give God.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by 323 View Post
                  You are so full of chit...
                  Nice knowing you. Have a great life.
                  "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                  Merle Haggard

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                    It sure tames muzzle jump for me. Shot a friend's Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and you could actually SEE the bullet impact through the scope. Had my own bolt 375 Magnaported, and suddenly I can see bullet impact through the scope on it, too. No way, no how for that to happen before Magnaporting. The Smith 4" M29 and M629 are notorious for muzzle flip. But shooting side by side with my 7.5" Redhawk 44, my Magnaported 4" 629 has lots less flip, and is actually controllable in double action rapid fire. Yup, I sure ruined those guns!
                    I understand what you are saying.

                    Patriot Life Member NRA
                    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Hey Brown Bear,

                      As always, you provide honest thoughts based on a life time of shooting. I appreciate it and the polite way you do it, even if you do not agree with others.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        [QUOTE=323;1663875]You are so full of chit... how fast was that bullet going to see it impact? How far were you shooting? In your case that bullet was going so **** slow you saw the bullet trace at 100yds.[/QUOTE

                        I dunno why you find that hard to believe! I see the impact or burst of most every shot when shooting at a running coyote. I adjust my shot accordingly. Even when shoot 7mm-08 or 25-06 with no brake on light rifle. For that matter I often see bullet impact on a gong at 200 yards with either of those guns....my 450 Bushmaster for that matter.

                        BrownBear is a square shooter who’s advise I have always found helpful and informative! He is not full of chit. Now on the other hand especially when it comes to cat killing stories I might be full of chit... but I ain’t caring much if I am👍!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          BB is definitely a square shooter. He is, IMO, the most knowledgeable poster on these gun forums. I've believe I've learned more from BB than anyone else, and that's a fact.

                          He's not full of chit, because it happens, that there are times when you CAN see a bullet in flight. I think it is a function of lighting, and the background behind the bullet. I've not experienced it a lot and can't recall a specific instance, but it's just a short blip.

                          Porting, or a Muzzle Brake keeps the barrel from moving as much, so it stays on target. I've seen 1 K BR rifles with huge 30" Barrels, and they had Brakes. For just that purpose.

                          A rifle that stays on target better, would make seeing the bullet, more possible. I've no reason to doubt that BB could see those bullets, when conditions were right. Nor, do I find it unreasonable to think that Porting made it possible.

                          Even if I'm NOT full of chit on this, I will NOT be ruining any barrels, by Porting them.

                          Smitty of the North
                          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                          You can't out-give God.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I have no doubt that someone, at times, could see the bullet hit the target. The mind, our senses, our perception of events in time, and of time itself... are fluid, reality is an approximation of what our senses take in. Our brains process the world around us and give us a modified experience that we live with and assume is what is going on. Like if you've ever been in a bad car accident, (I have) time seems to slow, every detail seems amplified, your brain can process every bit of glass or movement of objects in your car, seeming to go in slow motion, then speed back up. My Brother-in Law was first recon, first Marine in Vietnam. Two tours. He said it seemed that way sometimes when the chit got really bad, close proximity fighting, time seemed to slow, then, like in the car wreck, speed back up... his motions got instinctive, but almost as if guided by sharper senses. Have any of you seemed to perceive things more clearly during the intense moments of a hunt? Does you brain process the immediate differently than, say, when in town walking down the sidewalk? Many people are synesthetic, perceiving all senses at once... like, when hearing sounds trigger visions of colors... as infants our brains adjust so that our perception of reality is segmented so that we remain sane. A surprisingly large number of people in the world, about 5%, still perceive in this way. (Synesthesia) I have a hearing problem that sometimes manifests itself such that I can perceive the Doppler effect when approaching a sound source, like two people approaching me in a hallway talking, I hear the pitch of their voice increase, then decrease as they pass... like one hears on a train when approaching a stationary sound. The Doppler effect is because of the laws of Physics. The compression and expansion of sound waves. I believe we all hear it, with all things, all the time, but our brains process it so that unless it's forced upon us, like on speeding train, we "hear" stable sounds most of the time. Do I believe BrownBear when he says he can see the bullet clearly, even when it is traveling at high velocities? Absolutely.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by duteman View Post
                              I have no doubt that someone, at times, could see the bullet hit the target. The mind, our senses, our perception of events in time, and of time itself... are fluid, reality is an approximation of what our senses take in. Our brains process the world around us and give us a modified experience that we live with and assume is what is going on. Like if you've ever been in a bad car accident, (I have) time seems to slow, every detail seems amplified, your brain can process every bit of glass or movement of objects in your car, seeming to go in slow motion, then speed back up. My Brother-in Law was first recon, first Marine in Vietnam. Two tours. He said it seemed that way sometimes when the chit got really bad, close proximity fighting, time seemed to slow, then, like in the car wreck, speed back up... his motions got instinctive, but almost as if guided by sharper senses. Have any of you seemed to perceive things more clearly during the intense moments of a hunt? Does you brain process the immediate differently than, say, when in town walking down the sidewalk? Many people are synesthetic, perceiving all senses at once... like, when hearing sounds trigger visions of colors... as infants our brains adjust so that our perception of reality is segmented so that we remain sane. A surprisingly large number of people in the world, about 5%, still perceive in this way. (Synesthesia) I have a hearing problem that sometimes manifests itself such that I can perceive the Doppler effect when approaching a sound source, like two people approaching me in a hallway talking, I hear the pitch of their voice increase, then decrease as they pass... like one hears on a train when approaching a stationary sound. The Doppler effect is because of the laws of Physics. The compression and expansion of sound waves. I believe we all hear it, with all things, all the time, but our brains process it so that unless it's forced upon us, like on speeding train, we "hear" stable sounds most of the time. Do I believe BrownBear when he says he can see the bullet clearly, even when it is traveling at high velocities? Absolutely.
                              All thet be way past my comprehenseeation. I maintain we could ALL see bullets in flight if conditions are right.

                              We see Tracer bullets from machine guns don't we? That is proven technology.

                              Nuff said, but I'm not makin any promises.

                              Smitty of the North
                              Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                              Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                              You can't out-give God.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Sorry... sometimes the nutty professor just pops out...

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X