375 Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 375 Raptor

I know its still pretty new but has anyone messed around with this yet?

It looks like it could be a nice step up from the 358 Win.

http://www.375raptor.com/375RAPTOR/
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ge-375-raptor/

New .308 Based Cartridge – The 375 RAPTOR

Posted October 21, 2016

Arne Brennan, arguably the real “brains” behind the 6.5 Grendel cartridge, has announced the release of his latest caliber, the 375 RAPTOR. Building on the knowledge gained from the 45 RAPTOR (an improvement over .458 SOCOM), the 375 RAPTOR is, in-short, is a shortened and necked-up .308 Winchester for the larger diameter “slicker” 375 diameter bullets.

The .375 was chosen for a few specific reasons:
    1. .375 is the minimum caliber allowed for dangerous game in Tanzania and Botswana. If this is good for large foreign game, it will certainly be sufficient for all North American game.
    2. The bullet is already in common manufacture by well-known companies such as Nosler, Sierra, Speer, etc.
    3. It will work for both super and sub-sonic. Heavy pills such as 350 grain bullets are available from Sierra.

Brennan’s company, North American Sportsman, LLC calls out a major points for the new caliber.
    1. Designed to work directly with .308 bolt-action and semi-auto platforms. Only a barrel change is required.
    2. Brass is easily converted from existing .308 Winchester cases without the need for saws.
    3. Runs at the full 62,000 psi pressure common to .308 Winchester.
    4. Works in common PMAGs (but requires some filing).
    5. Works with the complete range of ball and extruded powders.

The caliber is releasing with full availability of reloading dies and reamers. Medesha Firerams has stepped up to support the custom manufacture of barrels, brass, and other items.
    In 2014, we released the 45 RAPTOR which redefined the concept of a big bore modern sporting rifle with true 200 yard range capability. Never one to rest on our past accomplishments, we continued the evolution of ideas and design with the result being the 375 RAPTOR – An evolutionary step forward in power that goes beyond any other big bore cartridge available for modern sporting rifles or short action non-magnum rifles.
    • The 375 RAPTOR delivers 300 yard large game hunting performance with over 3500 foot pounds of muzzle energy and over 2000 foot pounds of energy on target at 300 yards in a typical hunting rifle configuration making it suitable for any game animal found in North America including Deer, Moose, Elk, Bear or Wild Boar.
    • The 375 RAPTOR is direct conversion for any short action rifle currently chambered in 308 Winchester requiring only a barrel swap whether your choice of sporting rifle is an AR-10, LR308, SR-25, G2, Remington 700 or Model 7, Savage 110 or Browning BLR.
    • The 375 RAPTOR delivers sub 1-inch 100-yard accuracy using hunting bullets, while maintaining a 300-yard terminal velocity of 1800 fps or greater for reliable bullet expansion.
    • The 375 RAPTOR maintains a +/-3 inch flight trajectory from the muzzle to 200-250 yards impacting a 6-inch diameter vital zone without hold-over or sight adjustment.
    • The 375 RAPTOR is easily formed by any hand-loader requiring only resizing and case trimming to complete the process of converting commercial 308 Winchester or military 7.62 NATO brass. Conversion is so easy and options of parent brass so abundant, it makes producing native brass unnecessary.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I don't like it.
    It's more complicated than it needs to be, especially when proprietary brass is involved, or elaborate case forming processes.

If a guy wanted .375 bullets from a 308 case, he'd be smart just to simply neck up 308 win, 338 fed or 358 win brass to 375, and be done with it.

If Jes reboring could do this for me, with a simple rebore and chamber work (my 410 O&M wildcat), he'd probably be able to do it on a 308 rifle.

North Fork designed this killer bullet called the percusion point. they're made to exapand quicker and at a lower velocity than any premium, controlled expansion bullet out there.

A simple 375-308 win would be a good excuse to shoot these:

http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...ox-of-20.html/

I can't tell you how nice it is, to simply neck up stock brass with no crazy fire forming or trimming.........
    www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
    sigpic
    matnaggewinu

Comment

I would be interested in it if it had a flat nosed 270 grain bullet and fit in an 1895 Marlin!

Comment

I was wicked stoked on the .45 Raptor until I realized you have to use straight steel magazines. What a bummer. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with a upper and lower I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would love Springfield to offer that in a scout squad in stainless.
          "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
            I would be interested in it if it had a flat nosed 270 grain bullet and fit in an 1895 Marlin!
            don't see why you couldn't top it off with a 270 Flat nose, and stuff it into a lever gun.

Originally posted by kevin476 View Post
            I was wicked stoked on the .45 Raptor until I realized you have to use straight steel magazines. What a bummer. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with a upper and lower I have.

i havent seen any curved AR-10 mags what ones are curved?

I looked at the 45 Raptor for a very short time and ended up not liking it. i love my 450 Bushmaster, and the Raptor wasnt enough of a bump up to go to it.

i like the 375 Raptor though, i think it would be a good bolt action gun.
            Josh

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
              I don't like it.
              It's more complicated than it needs to be, especially when proprietary brass is involved, or elaborate case forming processes.

If a guy wanted .375 bullets from a 308 case, he'd be smart just to simply neck up 308 win, 338 fed or 358 win brass to 375, and be done with it.

If Jes reboring could do this for me, with a simple rebore and chamber work (my 410 O&M wildcat), he'd probably be able to do it on a 308 rifle.

North Fork designed this killer bullet called the percusion point. they're made to exapand quicker and at a lower velocity than any premium, controlled expansion bullet out there.

A simple 375-308 win would be a good excuse to shoot these:

http://www.northforkbullets.com/mage...ox-of-20.html/

I can't tell you how nice it is, to simply neck up stock brass with no crazy fire forming or trimming.........
              Several years ago i was looking at the 375-08 and from everything i've read on the 375-08 it is a finicky round with headspacing issues with the very small shoulder. That's why i ended up turning away from it and started to look at the 375 on a -06 case. The 375 Hawk was looking very good to me until i saw the price of the brass, and its hard to come by too, its still on the list of possibles for me, i think it would be great in a M-70.

Ive never reformed a case before but the process doesn't sound all that hard for this one, use some 358 Win brass, set the shoulder back trim it a little and run it through a sizing die.

one of the things i like about the 375 Raptor is the nice shoulder and that it fits and works in an AR-10, that makes an already good hunting platform even better. (im still pissed that its hard to find a decent 338 Fed or 358 Win upper that doesn't cost $2,000.)
              Josh

Comment

Originally posted by akula682 View Post
                don't see why you couldn't top it off with a 270 Flat nose, and stuff it into a lever gun.

i havent seen any curved AR-10 mags what ones are curved?

I looked at the 45 Raptor for a very short time and ended up not liking it. i love my 450 Bushmaster, and the Raptor wasnt enough of a bump up to go to it.

i like the 375 Raptor though, i think it would be a good bolt action gun.
                Maybe not AR-10 but M-5 P-Mags are curved. I have a billion of them so I really don't want to buy others.

Comment

I can't see how a 375-08 wouldn't have a sufficient shoulder. I just hastily necked up a .358 case to .375. For some of you older folks, that bullet right there is one of the old nosler 270 grain partitions. I've a few boxes of those gems, when they were pure copper jackets. The .358 winchester is an old reload, my first hand-load from back in 2004. It was a 200 grain hornady load that I put together for deer hunting in Maine.

Anyhow, I had no idea an AR-10 upper costed that much. That's stupid money. For way less than that,

1. I could buy a 6lb 4 oz Browning Lever Rifle take-down scout model in 308 (18.5" barrel).
                  2. Send it to Jesse and have a .375 bore drilled though it.
                  3. The rifle would weigh about 6lbs even after all that metal removed from the barrel. It would probably be 4lbs less the heft as an Ar-10, just as quick and cheaper too.

Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  matnaggewinu

Comment

I forgot to add, John Dougherty was the fella that created the 375-08 wildcat. He was an admirer of the Savage 99, so that was the first 375-08 rifle. It's more powerful than a .375 jdj, due to the higher working pressures.
                    sigpic
                    matnaggewinu

Comment

Oh boy! I've got a short Savage and need another winter project...

Comment

Call me negative, but what is gained over the 358 Win, that makes up for losing the .358 bullet selection? Which, many are designed for 358 Win velocities. 99% of those .375 bullets are designed for velocities achieved from almost twice the powder.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin476 View Post
                          Maybe not AR-10 but M-5 P-Mags are curved. I have a billion of them so I really don't want to buy others.

M-5? you lost me on that one, a google search just shows M4's.

If its based on the AR-15 then yes they will be curved unless you are using the 20rnd mags, the AR-10 is a larger frame, the 375 Raptor will not fit in an AR-15 frame.
                          Josh

Comment

I can't see how a 375-08 wouldn't have a sufficient shoulder. I just hastily necked up a .358 case to .375. For some of you older folks, that bullet right there is one of the old nosler 270 grain partitions. I've a few boxes of those gems, when they were pure copper jackets. The .358 winchester is an old reload, my first hand-load from back in 2004. It was a 200 grain hornady load that I put together for deer hunting in Maine.

Anyhow, I had no idea an AR-10 upper costed that much. That's stupid money. For way less than that,

1. I could buy a 6lb 4 oz Browning Lever Rifle take-down scout model in 308 (18.5" barrel).
                            2. Send it to Jesse and have a .375 bore drilled though it.
                            3. The rifle would weigh about 6lbs even after all that metal removed from the barrel. It would probably be 4lbs less the heft as an Ar-10, just as quick and cheaper too.
                            Yes, the AR-10 market is expensive as hell, but, it is one heck of a rifle.

Im just going off of the time and experience that people better than me with wildcats have said about the 375-08. The last thing i want to worry about a Fail To Fire due to headspace problems while im out hunting. I am really big on doing research and doing it right the first time so i dont have to do it again or worry about it, (especially when a lot of money is on the line.)

I already have a donor rifle that i want to rebarrel, so i just need a new barrel for this project. (if i ever get around to it, it usually takes me a couple years to decide on a new caliber).

I forgot to add, John Dougherty was the fella that created the 375-08 wildcat. He was an admirer of the Savage 99, so that was the first 375-08 rifle. It's more powerful than a .375 jdj, due to the higher working pressures.
                            JDJ? isnt that a bit small for him?
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rKHXTsDcco

JDJ has done a lot of work on a lot of calibers over the years, some of his big claims are to the whisper line.
                            Josh

Comment

Originally posted by AKMtnRunner View Post
                              Call me negative, but what is gained over the 358 Win, that makes up for losing the .358 bullet selection? Which, many are designed for 358 Win velocities. 99% of those .375 bullets are designed for velocities achieved from almost twice the powder.
                              no need to call anyone negative, im looking for both pros and cons on this one.

i dont have a 358 yet and although i am warming up to it, i like the 375 better, larger hole and heaver projectiles.

Stated velocities indicate that projectiles will work just fine at the intended distances of 300 yards and less.
                              Josh

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X