Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

375 Raptor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
    Oh boy! I've got a short Savage and need another winter project...
    If you go through with this i would be very interested in hearing how it goes. Pics would be awesome too.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

    Comment


    • #17
      I wouldn't be the least bit worried about the 375-08 shoulder. The 35 Whelen was snake bitten with the same bug-a-boo for a while and I'm betting the reason for the 375-08 headspace problems are one in the same. Either long chambers or folk aren't setting their dies correctly. If their sizing die when bottomed out is setting the shoulder back just a bit then the shoulder no longer holds the case tight against the bolt face and the primer pushes the case forward rather than igniting the primer.

      Now if you were to compare apples to apples the 358 winchester case measures .454" diameter at the shoulder where as the the 35 Whelen measures .441 " diameter at the shoulder. Both have a neck diameter of .388 inches which means that the 358 Winchester shoulder has .013" more surface to head space off of than the 35 Whelen. Now if you were to neck that 358 up to 375 caliber then the outside neck diameter would be right around .400". What this means is that the 308 case necked up to 375 caliber will have a shoulder exactly equal to what the 35 Whelen has always had. That means if the chamber is cut correctly and the dies are properly set then there is no issue to fret over.

      My wheels have been spinning all day long about a 375-08. It's advantage over the Raptor is a simple rebore as opposed to a new barrel. I just picked up the mid 70s 700 ADL in 243 with a 20 inch barrel. The 243 really needs more than 20 inches to act like a 243 is suppose to act so turning this gun into something else is a given. I kept telling myself JES is redoing a new Hawkeye to 358 right now and ya don't need a 375-08. Then I went to my storage area under the steps. Sheesh! I have lots of 375 caliber bullets. I have IMR and Hodgdon 4198, I have 4227, R7, R10 and lots of H4895. I also have scads of 308 brass. it's a no brainer and need ain't got nothing to do with it. I'm going to call JES tomorrow and pick his brain on the matter.

      If I dwell on a project for a whole day then most likely there ain't no turning back. I have lots of those Sierra .375 200 grainers designed for the 375 Winchester. They ought to make for some dandy exit holes. I also have a bunch of 270 or are they 275 grain Swift "A" frames from when my brother had his H&H. Merry Christmas to me again!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
        My wheels have been spinning all day long about a 375-08. It's advantage over the Raptor is a simple rebore as opposed to a new barrel. I just picked up the mid 70s 700 ADL in 243 with a 20 inch barrel. The 243 really needs more than 20 inches to act like a 243 is suppose to act so turning this gun into something else is a given. I kept telling myself JES is redoing a new Hawkeye to 358 right now and ya don't need a 375-08. Then I went to my storage area under the steps. Sheesh! I have lots of 375 caliber bullets. I have IMR and Hodgdon 4198, I have 4227, R7, R10 and lots of H4895. I also have scads of 308 brass. it's a no brainer and need ain't got nothing to do with it. I'm going to call JES tomorrow and pick his brain on the matter.
        Id love to hear what he has to say the the direction that you will be going. Also pics and updates on how its going.

        Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
        If I dwell on a project for a whole day then most likely there ain't no turning back. I have lots of those Sierra .375 200 grainers designed for the 375 Winchester. They ought to make for some dandy exit holes. I also have a bunch of 270 or are they 275 grain Swift "A" frames from when my brother had his H&H. Merry Christmas to me again!
        Same here, i have many .375 projectiles of various make and size just waiting to be loaded.
        Josh
        Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

        Comment


        • #19
          Go for it EKC!

          There are hundreds, if not thousands of 375-08 jaguars out there, but it's not much talked of. It's a tried and true cartridge. I could understand why you'd go this route, I've seen where you mentioned that the 375 Winchester was one of your favorite cartridges, so you probably have massive piles of old school bullets designed for the 375 winchester.

          Not many folks have put the years of moose hunting that I have with a 358 winchester, I'd prefer the versatility of that cartridge, but I can surely put my bias aside:
          The 375-08 Jaguar would shoot equal weight bullets about 100 fps faster. So within 100 yds, it'd be slightly more powerful.

          When my son made a 150-170 yd shot on a fat bull caribou, I've never seen an animal drop so quickly, it was like a light switch was turned off. That bullet left the barrel at 1875 fps. That same load, did the same devastating thing on a coastal brown bear for the guy who bought that rifle from me. Get a look at that wound channel at impact velocity around 1600 fps (150 yds):
          http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ters-out-there

          I'd have no qualms, loading 300 grain percussion points, 300 grain hornady round nosed interlocks, or any bullet designed for the .375 winchester.
          www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
          sigpic
          matnaggewinu

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by akula682 View Post
            Id love to hear what he has to say the the direction that you will be going. Also pics and updates on how its going.



            Same here, i have many .375 projectiles of various make and size just waiting to be loaded.
            I talked with JES a short time ago. My 358 Winchester is on it's way home. How's less than 2 weeks turn around for service.

            His exact words on the 375-08..."It's a neat little round!""Runs a 300 grain bullet at 2100 fps". I asked him specifically about head space issues and he assured me there were none. He commented it that is had plenty of shoulder to headspace off of.

            I'm doing it akula682. I'm going to package it up and get it sent.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
              I talked with JES a short time ago. My 358 Winchester is on it's way home. How's less than 2 weeks turn around for service.

              His exact words on the 375-08..."It's a neat little round!""Runs a 300 grain bullet at 2100 fps". I asked him specifically about head space issues and he assured me there were none. He commented it that is had plenty of shoulder to headspace off of.

              I'm doing it akula682. I'm going to package it up and get it sent.
              sweet! i guess ill have to look into the 375-08 again. what does he charge for conversions?
              Josh
              Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by akula682 View Post
                sweet! i guess ill have to look into the 375-08 again. what does he charge for conversions?
                $225 and that includes return shipping! I will send him my 700 ADL barreled action with bolt, the money and a note telling him what I want done. In a few short weeks it will come home as a 375-08. For another $25 he will cut and crown the barrel to a shorter length.

                I have had his number saved in my cell phone for 5 years just incase I take a notion. Give him a call and leave him your number and he will call you back! 541-942-1342

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
                  $225 and that includes return shipping! I will send him my 700 ADL barreled action with bolt, the money and a note telling him what I want done. In a few short weeks it will come home as a 375-08. For another $25 he will cut and crown the barrel to a shorter length.

                  I have had his number saved in my cell phone for 5 years just incase I take a notion. Give him a call and leave him your number and he will call you back! 541-942-1342
                  Thats not bad.

                  cant call him, im in the middle east.

                  If i do this it will be when i get back.
                  Josh
                  Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I was referring to an M5 receiver I have from Aero precision . That is what they call their "DPMS" style of .308 AR's. Anyway have you put anymore thought into the 375 Raptor? I was thinking about it for awhile but am pretty into the .358 Win right now. X-caliber has barrel offerings that seem good to. Either way I think I want a short, lite,open sight blaster. Let's us know which way you go.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by kevin476 View Post
                      I was referring to an M5 receiver I have from Aero precision . That is what they call their "DPMS" style of .308 AR's. Anyway have you put anymore thought into the 375 Raptor? I was thinking about it for awhile but am pretty into the .358 Win right now. X-caliber has barrel offerings that seem good to. Either way I think I want a short, lite,open sight blaster. Let's us know which way you go.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      wow... its been a while since ive been on here.

                      I got a promotion and sent back to Afghanistan and i havent had much time to explore the options of the 375 Raptor in more depth. I am trying to get my hands on a 308 BLR, SS, curved grip Takedown to be converted to 338 Federal. I have access to a straight stock BLR SS 308 takedown that im thinking of converting to the 375-08.
                      Josh
                      Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by akula682 View Post
                        wow... its been a while since ive been on here.

                        I got a promotion and sent back to Afghanistan and i havent had much time to explore the options of the 375 Raptor in more depth. I am trying to get my hands on a 308 BLR, SS, curved grip Takedown to be converted to 338 Federal. I have access to a straight stock BLR SS 308 takedown that im thinking of converting to the 375-08.
                        Well the 338 Federal is no slouch but it kinda fizzled before it really gained much notoriety. Probably nothing a 35 Remington wouldn't do. Be careful over there.

                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X