Does a Remington 700, 22-250 Have a use in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a Remington 700, 22-250 Have a use in Alaska

I have aquired a Remington 700 22-250 after a good buddy passed. Nice gun, heavy barrel,beautiful wood stock.
    As I consider which guns are needed/practical for Alaska I wonder if this is a keeper or not. Does this extemely fast small
    round have a place up there? I already have a 700 in 30-06 and an AR (another fast small round). :think:

I would appreciate your comments

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Its an excellent varmint or furbearer round. Longer range for calling in those critters.

Comment

:ditto:

Oh, and I don't ever think I've considered the 06' a "small" round......lol
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
        :ditto:

Oh, and I don't ever think I've considered the 06' a "small" round......lol
        Not comparing the 06 to the 22-250 just that I had another 700.

Comment

I would love to have one for sniping marmots of rocks. Just cant justify buying one...until I can no longer find 22 (rimfire) ammoroud:
          I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Comment

Seal and Sea Otter for those who are eligible... For everyone else, it is a great round for fur like coyote, fox, river otter, and as mentioned it is especially good if predator calling. I buddy has a Rem 700 VFSF Sendro in 22-250, fluted barrel, trigger job, and McMillan stock and it is a sweet rifle.

Do to the speed and flat shooting, this is one gun that really benefits from having higher quality and magnification optics. A plain old VX-I in 3x9 would be like running your car around with the spare tire.

Sobie2

Comment

It's a great round and fine for a lot of uses in AK. I know a lot of people that use it for caribou and I'd do so as well, given proper bullet selection. In fact, a 1:8 twist 22-250 will almost certainly be my next rifle build for lots of uses......
              Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

I have used mine for fur critters also it is deadly on deer, my dad even used his on a goat hunt and was successful with it. There are lots of good uses for it

Comment

Thanks for your input......seeing nothing negetive so far it looks like its good for everything except moose and bear. I know when I fired it
                  a few years back it was nice, smooth and very accurate. I just got new high profile scope rings (the existing rings had the scope touching the
                  barrel) in preparation to sell it. If I keep it I will upgrade the current Burris 12x40 Sport Scope.

Comment

Anybody try out a Shepard Scope?

Comment

A 22-250 is a Coyote killin machine. I bet it would do a number on some Black tail as well.

Comment

22-250

i love mine i have shot black tail with it, fox,coyotes marmots. ive burnt out the barrel once and had it barreled with a lija 1 in 10 to shoot heaver bullets. on a calm day i can get 1 and 1/4 groups at five hundred yards with it.

Comment

I have the 700 VSSF in 22-250 its a critter killer for sure.
                          I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Comment

I also have the VSSF with a Timney trigger and 3.5x15 night force scope. Would never let it go. Great varmint rifle and more cost effective then my magnum for practicing at the range.
                            Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

My next firearms purchase will be either the .22-250 or a .220 swift.
                              sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X