No announcement yet.

Is the 458 Socom very popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have uppers or complete guns in just about all the common variations from the 20 Practical to the 50 Beowulf and I shoot maybe 4x the number of rounds in .5.56. but I love the 6x45 and the Grendel. The AR platform is the most versital that I know of except for maybe the TC Contender or Encore and they will shoot .22 LR if you can find ammo...what's not to like, but they probably aren't the best rifle for AK even though they can do it all with the right bullet and upper on board.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruger View Post
      No, I am not trying to push the AR15 thing here or at least it's not my intent. I prefer bolt guns. But I do use the 458 Socom for wild pigs and occasionally deer. It drops deer like steel plates. I figured with the way they dispatch large hogs with great efficiency they would get some use up there with the bears as well as anything you hunt I heavy brush Especially being that the cartridge performs well in a 16" barrel. But I do understand too that if you can't get the ammo then the gun is no good.
      I think your right, it could be a great bear gun, I think the issue is it is a solution to a problem that most folks up here already have solutions to.

I love ARs but I haven't bought a big bore upper because I already own and carry a .375h&h and a .44 mag, hard to convince the wife why I need a new bear gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You rarely see them for sale. Because the people who have them love them.
        Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

Yes I understand that but a 30-06 is a bolt gun in 24" barrel unless your packing a M1 Garand. Apple and oranges.
          An AR is apples and oranges to most hunting rifles.

The Rem. 750, in 30-06 is an Auto Rifle too. It's still apples and oranges, but probably weighs less, ??? and IMO, is a better choice than any attempt to make the AR powerful enough to handle BEEG, beeg game. (Which is the purpose of a lot of the new AR cartridges.)

There is a lot of nostalgia and history associated with the 45-70, which is part of it's popularity.

Now, if you could get a cupla 3 ALASKAN BEAR GUIDES to pack 458 SOCOMS around, Shoot a few Bears and Bisons with them, and lament the fact that Custer didn't have them, they could conceivably become a little more popular.

Right now, it's just BLAHH.

Smitty of the North
          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
          You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider View Post
            I have uppers or complete guns in just about all the common variations from the 20 Practical to the 50 Beowulf and I shoot maybe 4x the number of rounds in .5.56. but I love the 6x45 and the Grendel. The AR platform is the most versital that I know of except for maybe the TC Contender or Encore and they will shoot .22 LR if you can find ammo...what's not to like, but they probably aren't the best rifle for AK even though they can do it all with the right bullet and upper on board.
            I'm wondering why you think the ARs are more versatile than other type action rifles, the BA for example.

BAs are chambered in many more different cartridges, and I can't think of any that couldn't be. Plus, many POWERFUL cartridges, which isn't the case with the ARs, and surely, they are of lighter weight, and simpler, and more reliable.

There are ARs that are designed for hunting, but the primary purpose, and draw is for ("Tactical"???) usage. And, that is for obvious reasons, the cartridges that they can or cannot handle.

Because people love their ARs, and even design cartridges exclusively for them to make them more versatile doesn't mean that they are the MOST versatile. I think they are perhaps the least versatile, design wise, anyway.

Smitty of the North
            You can't out-give God.

Comment

Never thought it would happen, but here it is ..... in 458 Win Mag...

http://www.petersenshunting.com/gear...nemo-omen-458/

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                I'm wondering why you think the ARs are more versatile than other type action rifles, the BA for example.

BAs are chambered in many more different cartridges, and I can't think of any that couldn't be. Plus, many POWERFUL cartridges, which isn't the case with the ARs, and surely, they are of lighter weight, and simpler, and more reliable.

There are ARs that are designed for hunting, but the primary purpose, and draw is for ("Tactical"???) usage. And, that is for obvious reasons, the cartridges that they can or cannot handle.

Because people love their ARs, and even design cartridges exclusively for them to make them more versatile doesn't mean that they are the MOST versatile. I think they are perhaps the least versatile, design wise, anyway.

Smitty of the North
                Now your getting into semantics, not that I agree or disagree. Just pointing out this is a matter of personal perspective. For instance I'd argue swapping barrels on some bolt actions is just as simple as on an AR, for someone with the right tools and knowledge, as is the case with an AR. But if you ask 10 people at the range which is easier 9 will say an AR.

I say each has it's own merit and that's good enough. It's disappointing the purists put down the AR guys considering they are the fastest growing group of firearm owners, they also tend to be the youngest and thus the future of shooting to a large degree.

Better that we remain one community than two that the antis can turn against each other.

It's also worth noting that most AR owners it know bought them to hunt with or target shoot, I don't know anyone that bought one for "tactical" use.

Comment

Originally posted by Libertine View Post

Wow, I don't have near good enough job to feed that!

Comment

Originally posted by Libertine View Post

Shocking.

What a Kick to shoot that.

Talk about jumping thorough hoops.

There's a guy at the Soldier of Fortune Magazine website, that built a Single Shot AR just so's he could hunt with it in Africa.

I can't copy the LINK though. I guess it is restricted in some way.

SOTN

SOTN
                    You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by limon32 View Post
                      Now your getting into semantics, not that I agree or disagree. Just pointing out this is a matter of personal perspective. For instance I'd argue swapping barrels on some bolt actions is just as simple as on an AR, for someone with the right tools and knowledge, as is the case with an AR. But if you ask 10 people at the range which is easier 9 will say an AR.

I say each has it's own merit and that's good enough. It's disappointing the purists put down the AR guys considering they are the fastest growing group of firearm owners, they also tend to be the youngest and thus the future of shooting to a large degree.

Better that we remain one community than two that the antis can turn against each other.

It's also worth noting that most AR owners it know bought them to hunt with or target shoot, I don't know anyone that bought one for "tactical" use.

I've never understood semantics too well.

So what are you doin? Defending the ARs and WHY?

ARs are now, so POPULAR that persecution complexes are simply NOT needed.

We can "remain one community" if you stop acting like a Victim and accept EVERY type firearm including the ARs "on it's own merit".

I think that most owners of ARs buy them because they are Fun and Exciting, have little recoil, and even their kids can shoot them, and hunting with them is just something they will do if the opportunity presents itself.

I just don't think that people buy them for a hunting gun, although they are used for that. Of course, hunting is a part of the incentive for cartridges more powerful than the 223.

I do have some reservations about using ANY 22 Centerfire for hunting larger game, but as long as the AR guys an gals, Keep the Antis POed, I won't mind.

I'm convinced that the proliferation of the ARs is a help, rather than a hindrance to the cause. But that doesn't mean they're all some "lovers" say they are. IMO, of course.

Hey, I'm not a "purist". I like BAs, LAs, and SSs. Pumps, and Some Autos.

Smitty of the North
                      You can't out-give God.

Comment

I've never understood semantics too well.

So what are you doin? Defending the ARs and WHY?

ARs are now, so POPULAR that persecution complexes are simply NOT needed.

We can "remain one community" if you stop acting like a Victim and accept EVERY type firearm including the ARs "on it's own merit".

I think that most owners of ARs buy them because they are Fun and Exciting, have little recoil, and even their kids can shoot them, and hunting with them is just something they will do if the opportunity presents itself.

I just don't think that people buy them for a hunting gun, although they are used for that. Of course, hunting is a part of the incentive for cartridges more powerful than the 223.

I do have some reservations about using ANY 22 Centerfire for hunting larger game, but as long as the AR guys an gals, Keep the Antis POed, I won't mind.

I'm convinced that the proliferation of the ARs is a help, rather than a hindrance to the cause. But that doesn't mean they're all some "lovers" say they are. IMO, of course.

Hey, I'm not a "purist". I like BAs, LAs, and SSs. Pumps, and Some Autos.

Smitty of the North
                        Ha ha ha... Your perspective is always fun to hear.

Comment

I would guess, human nature being what it is, that most guys buy them, and defend them, as a function of familiarity; attempting to adapt them to a particular post war task (such as hunting), their inappropriateness to that task notwithstanding, follows suit.
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                            I would guess, human nature being what it is, that most guys buy them, and defend them, as a function of familiarity; attempting to adapt them to a particular post war task (such as hunting), their inappropriateness to that task notwithstanding, follows suit.
                            OK, I'll buy that for at least 20 minutes.

Smitty of the North
                            You can't out-give God.

Comment

Is the 458 Socom very popular. I have not read anything on here concerning it.
                              I have a Socom upper that I haven't shot yet. Lack of components is killing me. I signed up for a brass alert from Starline, got one and by the time I got to a computer (9 hours later) they were sold out.

Steve has several customers who shoot .458 Socom. I'd buy your ammo. One shop had .458 Socom ammo, no name, no load info and wanted $80 for 20 rounds. I hope your price is better.
                              I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

400 gr. hard Kodiak bullet and a case full of l'il gun. It's a great hog gun also. Enough said.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X