Is the 458 Socom very popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 458 Socom very popular?

Is the 458 Socom very popular. I have not read anything on here concerning it.

No..........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

What'll it kill that a .45 Colt won't?
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
        What'll it kill that a .45 Colt won't?
        Not sure if your kidding or not. The 458 Socom is equivalent to a 45-70 in an AR platform. 300gr. @ 1900fps. That's a lot more then a Long Colt. You can shoot bullets ranging from 250gr. - 600gr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruger View Post
          Not sure if your kidding or not. The 458 Socom is equivalent to a 45-70 in an AR platform. 300gr. @ 1900fps. That's a lot more then a Long Colt. You can shoot bullets ranging from 250gr. - 600gr.
          Yes, sorry; was a rhetorical statement. You might find a couple of AR fans in AK, who think it's cool. You'll have to judge whether or not that constitutes "very popular".
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

To answer the question no it isn't very popular. I do own one and shoot it often. When loaded with the 300 grain TTSX I can attest to it's affectiveness on black bear over bait. If you decide to get into the SOCOM realize that brass is hard to find and loaded ammo even harder. This caliber is almost a must for reloading and when you find brass buy all you think you will ever need. Then shoot and be happy.

Comment

I built a Beowulf instead of a SOCOM and it kills black bears just like a .45 LC. It's easier to find .458 bullets than the .50 but I'm not sure one is better than the other, but the SOCOM is an interesting and capable round.
              Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

I would have thought it would have a fairly good following up there. It has plenty of power in a semi auto.

Comment

I would have thought it would have a fairly good following up there. It has plenty of power in a semi auto.
                  30-06 has a pretty good following up here...

Comment

Yes I understand that but a 30-06 is a bolt gun in 24" barrel unless your packing a M1 Garand. Apple and oranges.

Comment

Point being, things here with the greatest following are those which are practical, commonly available, proven reliable, easily repairable.... Once you get away from the one big city and off the internet, boutique and novelty items are, by definition, not commonly found nor commonly popular.

Comment

I looked into it a while back. I am not enough of an AR guy to make a go of it. I also don't know a lot of folks who are either, but, there are some. Also, this forum does not tend to be a how to dope your AR kind of place, so not as many people will be here with that weapon platform, at least in my opinion. It does not seem practical to me either, but I bet it would if I had been toting around an AR for the last few years in some sandy place way East of here. Second nature to turn to the 458 Socom, or more practically, the 308.

Worth asking around a bit. How's the reliability in DLP situation? Good enough for special ops, might be good bear medicine if you are practiced with that weapons system. Practical hunting distances? Can you afford to feed it?

Comment

No, I am not trying to push the AR15 thing here or at least it's not my intent. I prefer bolt guns. But I do use the 458 Socom for wild pigs and occasionally deer. It drops deer like steel plates. I figured with the way they dispatch large hogs with great efficiency they would get some use up there with the bears as well as anything you hunt I heavy brush Especially being that the cartridge performs well in a 16" barrel. But I do understand too that if you can't get the ammo then the gun is no good.

Comment

Keep trying. Sooner or later you will find someone that helps you support your argument.
                            NRA Life Member since 1974

Comment

No, I am not trying to push the AR15 thing here or at least it's not my intent. I prefer bolt guns. But I do use the 458 Socom for wild pigs and occasionally deer. It drops deer like steel plates.
                              So do .223s......

I figured with the way they dispatch large hogs with great efficiency they would get some use up there with the bears as well as anything you hunt I heavy brush Especially being that the cartridge performs well in a 16" barrel. But I do understand too that if you can't get the ammo then the gun is no good.
                              I like most kinds of rifles for one reason or another and find that the AR15 is a wonderful rifle for a lot of purposes. However, it has some drawbacks and the .458 SOCOM exacerbates them. Reloading any self loading rifle can be aggravating and collecting spent cases is just one of them. I just can't warm up to digging around in the grass for every last piece of brass that costs about $1 apiece. Bullets for the SOCOM are also costly and that limits the amount one can shoot it, making a self-loading rifle expensive to feed isn't conducive to shooting it often. The SOCOM is a neat idea and its ballistics could serve a useful niche, but anytime I consider an upper that isn't marked 5.56 NATO for an AR I step back and ask myself how much will I really use it. For the same coin, I can shoot a .223 four or five times more (at a minimum) than a SOCOM and that alone is enough reason for me to stay with the .223/5.56.
                              Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X