Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else let their kids run with a firearm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no problem with open carry, and see no reason why it should not be allowed, as long as the person carrying is acting in a responsible manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Tearbear View Post
      I have no problem with open carry, and see no reason why it should not be allowed, as long as the person carrying is acting in a responsible manner.
      ...This.

And unslinging or in any other way manipulating the firearm simply because someone is 100 yards away is an absolute recipe for disaster.
      “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
      "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
        You're paranoid. You're crazy. And you're the poster child of why we shouldn't allow open carry. I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood. This is the problem with open carry. You are naturally (and in your case deliberately) trying to scare and frighten everyone you come into contact with. What you're saying is the equivalent of "Every time a man comes near my daughter, she draws a gun." There are so many other effective ways of keeping your daughter safe. God man, if you think every man on the planet is out to get your daughter, build a high stone tower and lock her in the top floor.
        He's not crazy 0R paranoid. You are talkin crazy, though. You're tryin to make a mountain out of a molehill.

She's carrying the rifle for protection, not to intimidate anyone, and you know that, or should know it.

I worked with a guy who was beaten up and robbed on the bike trail near East High, by a bunch of kids with a 22 rifle.

I talked to another guy who carried his SHOTGUN on his walks on the bike trails. I know others who carried a big stick.

I'm not intimidated by open carry, anywhere. I wouldn't OC in lots of places, but on the bike trails, I think it would be a good idea.

BTW, carrying anything as heavy as a gun is problematic when you're RUNNING because it tends to bounce. Even, my old Flip Phone.

I think it is wise and prudent for the ladies to run together, and sometimes men also. I stopped running on some of the trails because the bear activity increased, or I assumed so. I noticed more tracks.

Dogs are often a concern on the trails, too, especially for runners.

Smitty of the North
        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
        You can't out-give God.

Comment

I'd see if there are any French Military Surplus Rifles for sale....They where made to carry while running.....
          “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
            I'd see if there are any French Military Surplus Rifles for sale....They where made to carry while running.....

Didnt they usually just throw them to the ground to lighten their load?
            Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
            WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
              Kinda like the new Tank they developed..It has 5 gears, 4 in reverse and one forward...In case they are attacked from behind....

Comment

...This.

And unslinging or in any other way manipulating the firearm simply because someone is 100 yards away is an absolute recipe for disaster.
                Don't confuse anyone with the facts.

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                He's not crazy 0R paranoid. You are talkin crazy, though. You're tryin to make a mountain out of a molehill.

She's carrying the rifle for protection, not to intimidate anyone, and you know that, or should know it.
                This is the same argument we have anytime any one brings up the topic of open carry. You guys just won't accept reality. Here is the reality, one more time: anytime you display a firearm in public (other than at a gun range) you strike fear into those around you and intimidate them. The message you send, whether or not it was intentional is: "see this gun? I can kill you!" That is the message received by others. It doesn't matter what you think, what you believe, or what you intend. Your lawful-good intentions are not at all relevant. What is relevant and very very real, is the fear you strike in the hearts of those around you. If I were on the trail and I saw a woman unsling a rifle, I'm running for cover because she has just signaled that she is about to open fire. (Even if she is about to open fire on a bear or moose, I"m still riunning for cover; who knows where those rounds are going.)

Add to this scenario: I'm on the trail with my young son. I'm carrying my own gun. I see a woman up the trail unsling her rifle. I perceive a very real and imminent danger that she is about to open fire. I draw and present my gun in response to this perceived threat. She sees me draw my firearm and perceives what truly is a real threat (because her body language with her gun has caused me to fear for my life). Now we are at DEFCON 1. Someone is about to open fire imminently.

Open carry is the absolute dumbest, most retarded thing a gun owner can do. Just because it is legal or you have a right to do so, doesn't mean you should.

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FL2AK-Old Town again.

Comment

I kind of like those Mas-49 rifles. The hack job 308 conversions on the ones imported to the US is what ruined them. I hear they were pretty good guns in their original, odd ball French calibers. Then again, I'm a bit of a Franco-phone and have an interest in the the French Indochine and Algerian wars.

Originally posted by cod View Post
                    I think you are referring to the ARVN rifles. The French put up one HELL of a fight at Dien Bien Phu.

And there goes the on topic discussion. DE-RAIL! LOL

Comment

...This.

And may be construed as "brandishing" which is a crime. In some cases assault 3 which is a class C felony. You don't draw unless you are firing.

You ARE setting your daughter up for disaster. Get her to a CCW class so she can learn the law regarding what it means to carry a rifle. If I were out in the woods, and I saw someone eyeballing me and unsling their rifle, I would too, as I am expecting them to take a shot at me. But I will be quicker. Don't be that guy. Get her some training.
                      Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

Good Grief, after reading all the posts on this topic I came to the stunning conclusion that there are as many bad guys lurking in the shadows in Alaska as a jogger might encounter in Chicago, however Chicago gets a plus 1 as they don't have the four legged predators! Now that's sad when Chi-town is safer than Alaska!
                        I agree that if someone is going to carry they should go through some training as the potential pitfalls are huge if a mistake is made. The bear spray is not a bad choice IMO - a good dog is also pretty tough to beat. Good luck shayno on your challenges!
                        When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Comment

You should have your daughter take a self defense course and I'm not talking about one that plays nice.

http://www.senshidoalaska.com/Women.html

In the meantime get her a couple of long hair pins and a knife or two that ease to get to if someone tried to grab her.
                          Steel toe shoes are not fun to run in but they will kick a ball or two in the next county.

Comment

I worked with a guy who was beaten up and robbed on the bike trail near East High, by a bunch of kids with a 22 rifle.

I talked to another guy who carried his SHOTGUN on his walks on the bike trails. I know others who carried a big stick.

I'm not intimidated by open carry, anywhere. I wouldn't OC in lots of places, but on the bike trails, I think it would be a good idea.

BTW, carrying anything as heavy as a gun is problematic when you're RUNNING because it tends to bounce. Even, my old Flip Phone.

I think it is wise and prudent for the ladies to run together, and sometimes men also. I stopped running on some of the trails because the bear activity increased, or I assumed so. I noticed more tracks.

Dogs are often a concern on the trails, too, especially for runners.

Smitty of the North
                            Smitty I'll have to disagree with you. I think the purpose of unslinging a rifle is to intimidate. I don't oppose open carry but I really see no benefit of OC. I think CC is perfect.

Comment

So what? If you're so willing to play the odds with your GF, and your dotter, I hope they are wise enough to leave you, since you have so little concern.

Smitty of the North
                              Ha! Are you serious?? So because I have complete faith in my wife and her ability to handle herself in the mountains and in the city without being armed, she should leave me? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
                                Don't confuse anyone with the facts.

This is the same argument we have anytime any one brings up the topic of open carry. You guys just won't accept reality. Here is the reality, one more time: anytime you display a firearm in public (other than at a gun range) you strike fear into those around you and intimidate them. The message you send, whether or not it was intentional is: "see this gun? I can kill you!" That is the message received by others. It doesn't matter what you think, what you believe, or what you intend. Your lawful-good intentions are not at all relevant. What is relevant and very very real, is the fear you strike in the hearts of those around you. If I were on the trail and I saw a woman unsling a rifle, I'm running for cover because she has just signaled that she is about to open fire. (Even if she is about to open fire on a bear or moose, I"m still riunning for cover; who knows where those rounds are going.)

Add to this scenario: I'm on the trail with my young son. I'm carrying my own gun. I see a woman up the trail unsling her rifle. I perceive a very real and imminent danger that she is about to open fire. I draw and present my gun in response to this perceived threat. She sees me draw my firearm and perceives what truly is a real threat (because her body language with her gun has caused me to fear for my life). Now we are at DEFCON 1. Someone is about to open fire imminently.

Open carry is the absolute dumbest, most retarded thing a gun owner can do. Just because it is legal or you have a right to do so, doesn't mean you should.
                                Jeeze......talk about paranoid...!!! Guess what?....HERE'S the reality....NOT EVERYBODY feels intimidated when they see an open carry gun....
                                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X