Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else let their kids run with a firearm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post

I don't know. It's hard. It's hard to compete with the world as a parent. .
    The reason it's hard is in the fact that you are "competing" with it. It's like trying to compete with the weather or the tide. You can't compete with something that's so much bigger than you and is everywhere your child goes. All you can do is lovingly show a child the difference between right and wrong and teach by good example. Personally I don't believe a good example is running away from every person they see with a gun. There are millions of good, law abiding people that carry guns everyday. If anything, teach your child how to have good instincts when it comes to guns, have a healthy respect for, but not fear them. If you are going to live in a society, then I don't believe that sheltering your child from the realities of the world is benefiting them in the long run.

We all want to keep our children innocent and hate when the world around them slowly tries to take it from them. But the fact is that it's all a part of growing up.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I think we do, and I think tht is why kids walk into schools with AR-15's and start shooting.
      I believe, despite all the negative influences kids come in contact with today, if we educate / parent them well most will turn out well.

There are exceptions of course.
      “Move that fat ass Henry!”
      “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Comment

Parenting and education will overcome...

I don't know. It's hard. It's hard to compete with the world as a parent. Despite doing everything I can to counter the negative messages the world bombards my son with, it just seems like that the world is what gets through. So I don't know how much even the best parenting can overcome. And if you haven't done it by age 10, forget it. Middle school, ages 12+, is when the kids start caring more about what their peers (the world) thinks than what their family thinks. Their peers, in essence, become a surrogate, replacement family.
        There is truth to that. I do believe if we give them a solid foundation they will mostly do what is right.

Comment

• Originally posted by shayno View Post
          So I have a daughter that likes to take walks and things like that in the woods. Now she take the dogs but between the two a determined perp is going to defeat. So I let her sling a rifle she is comfortable, confident and effective with. Our rule is that is there is s person within 100 yards of her she unlslings it and is at the ready. She has several times just in the neighborhood have creeps try to give her rides or walk with her. And when shes on the wheelers she has a long gun also.. does this sound paranoid? My wife says im to paranoid...

I can only assume that you are concerned about sexual assualt in your area, and thats not a bad thing. AK ranks the highest in the nation in that category, although most occur from a known person. Although being cautious is not a bad idea, I wonder how you are setting your daughter up for success when she leaves the nest. If she is going to go onto higher education, sexual assault is a problem on many campuses. I guess for myself common sense would dictate rather than carrying a rifle with you throughout life, there is safety in numbers. Perhaps having her walk with other friends, or since you are "paranoid," maybe you or your wife should walk with her.

Others here have mentioned numerous other course, training etc, but I foresee a few possible outcomes to your current gun-toting philosophy, she either fends off a potential intruder successfully, she gets jumped by someone who knows what they are doing and gets sexually assualted or worse, or she accidentally shoots someone. Your chances are none of these will happen, but who knows. I would really try and avoid the court system. I realize your intentions are positive, but unless you or your family live a reclusive lifestyle, interaction with the human species is going to happen.

Best of luck to you and yours.
          “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Comment

• Jeez, this thread is still alive? Don't you guys have anything better to do? Like...live life or something? Get dressed and get out of your mom's basement and get outside for cryin' out loud!
            Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitroman View Post
              Jeez, this thread is still alive? Don't you guys have anything better to do? Like...live life or something? Get dressed and get out of your mom's basement and get outside for cryin' out loud!
              Anyone taking the kids to the range this weekend? LOL...

Comment

• Just so you guys know I'm only reading this now for entertainment value... The horse died a while ago...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitroman View Post
                  Jeez, this thread is still alive? Don't you guys have anything better to do? Like...live life or something? Get dressed and get out of your mom's basement and get outside for cryin' out loud!
                  Um...and you're still here...

Comment

• Originally posted by shayno View Post
                    Just so you guys know I'm only reading this now for entertainment value... The horse died a while ago...
                    Nope...not yet...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X