338 fed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 338 fed

I'm in Minnesota hunting for white tails and the long hours in the stand got me thinking. Right now I'm using my 338-06 I really like the rifle, but with a 24 barrel its a little tight in the enclosed stand. I have a model 70SS in a 7-08 that would work just fine the way it is, but sending it to JES and getting it rebored to a 338 fed with a 20 or 21" barrel would be a deer killing machine. Also looking at allients websight 2000mr would almost get me to what I'm shooting already in a nice neat package. Help talk me out of it guys.

I don't think there is much to talk out of.
    Your reasoning seems sound and I have a prejudice towards anything .338.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

If the 24" barrel bothers you, why not just cut down the barrel on the 338-06? You'd still have a better expansion ratio compared to typical 30-06 barrel lengths. Then you'd still have the 7-08 for lighter bullet applications. If you rebore the 7-08 to 338 federal, you'd just have two 338 cal rifles. Convenient I guess if you reload and if you use 338 cal for everything, but at the cost of losing versatility.

Comment

338-06 shouldn't suffer much from losing a cupla inches of barrel.

Why isn't a 7mm-08 also a "Deer Killing Machine"? I understand the perception that 338 Fed . might be better for Bear, although I may not agree with it.

But, "DEER" ???

SOTN
        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
        You can't out-give God.

Comment

There's a lot to love about the .338 Fed. I've been contemplating a .338-06 and recently a NIB .338 Fed showed up down at the store... hard to justify the extra effort and cost needed to make a .338-06 when the .338FED is right there, ready to go.

For any and all deer hunting the .338Fed should be good to go...and critters a good deal heavier than deer as as well.
          "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Originally posted by swapdonkey View Post
            I'm in Minnesota hunting for white tails and the long hours in the stand got me thinking. Right now I'm using my 338-06 I really like the rifle, but with a 24 barrel its a little tight in the enclosed stand. I have a model 70SS in a 7-08 that would work just fine the way it is, but sending it to JES and getting it rebored to a 338 fed with a 20 or 21" barrel would be a deer killing machine. Also looking at allients websight 2000mr would almost get me to what I'm shooting already in a nice neat package. Help talk me out of it guys.
            Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
            338-06 shouldn't suffer much from losing a cupla inches of barrel.

Why isn't a 7mm-08 also a "Deer Killing Machine"? I understand the perception that 338 Fed . might be better for Bear, although I may not agree with it.

But, "DEER" ???

SOTN
            I agree with Smitty, I'd use the 7mm-08 before any .338 cartridge for deer. A 120 grain NBT or 140 NBT would work well enough, but I'd be tempted to load a 120 TSX as fast as the rifle would push them. I used a 120 TSX on a larger than average deer (40 inch moose) this year and he couldn't shake it off.....

From a stand I'd prefer the 7mm-08 by a good margin--and for argument sake I own and hunt with a .338 Federal, a 338/06 and a 340 Weatherby so I'm not particularly biased against the .33s...........
            Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

Ditch the 7-08, get a 6.5x55 or 7x57, and lop a couple inches off the 338-06.
              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

If we now need 338 for deer I don't want to even guess on moose or bear guns today. Cut your 338-06 and put good sights on it while your at it.Sell the 7mm08 to pay for the work on the 338-06 and get more ammo for it.
                Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

7-08 is a great whitetail round. I would keep it. As for the 338-06 I would leave it as well. You have a nice hunting combo. I wouldn't spoil it.
                  "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

If you get it rebored, go all the way and have it rebored to .358 Win. Why stop at 33?
                    Still, 7-mm08 is a great round. My son loves his. Gotta love the .308 family as a whole.

Comment

SD,

If there were any deer left at my MN deer camp, I'd be down there right now.

The 338 Fed is a great little round that I carry around AK in a handy little Kimber Montana at 5.25 pounds w/scope. It shoots so well with Federal 210 NPs that I haven't loaded for it.

John Barsness has some great loads that will achieve the factory velocity.

Need....has nothing to do with it....if ya want it, do it!

Shoot a big buck.

Comment

I don't think a .338 Fed is needed for deer, but if you want it by all means get one. I used the 7mm-08 for deer hunting when I lived in MT, and it was a great round. I sold it before we moved to AR, or I would have used it there as well. I really like the 7mm-08 for deer, and would buy another one in a minute if the price was right. That being said, I am getting a .338 Fed for Christmas, as I found one on clearance here and think it would be a great moose rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                          If you get it rebored, go all the way and have it rebored to .358 Win. Why stop at 33?
                          Still, 7-mm08 is a great round. My son loves his. Gotta love the .308 family as a whole.
                          Agree, I build a lot of both but only the 358 Winchesters ever stay here, only downside to 358 Win is today it's a roll your own deal. 338 Fed you can buy ammo for now but I suspect before long it will also be a roll your own round. No bother, easy to make brass for ether from 308 or 7.62 and easy to load for.

7mm08 is also a great round but I think of it more as an open country mid range antelope/sheep/goat round than a woodland deer type round.
                          Andy
                          On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                          Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                          Call/Text 602-315-2406
                          Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Or, leave them two great rifles alone and gicha one of them thudy/thudys for white tails. roud:

Comment

Maybe, I'm not understanding the OP, ( swapdonkey.)

So he's got a 338-06, and is using that for deer. Nothing wrong with having a 338 Fed. for a lighter gun in the same caliber.

Maybe, not needed, but should work as well for deer, too. Especially if you were hunting deer down Kodiak way, where shootin sounds, like a dinner bell to the bears. Or, so I hear tell.

Besides, lotsa folks back in the Old Country, MN included, have got populations of Black Bears and Wolves, and Catamounts, and Monster Hawgs.

I spoke too soon I reckon, maybe, I dunno.

Smitty of the North.
                              Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                              Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                              You can't out-give God.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X