Building Alaska hunting battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Alaska hunting battery

I'm looking to build up a small, 3-4 rifle Alaska hunting battery. I'm starting with my X-Bolt 30-06, good shooter. Feel comfortable with that for just about anything, but thinking about more specialty rifles like a mountain rifle, dense brush deer rifle, large bore bear safety rifle, etc. So the question: starting from the 30-06, what calibers would you recommend, and what models, if you care to get that specific?

.243, 375, and a 12ga

Comment

Originally posted by ak_cowboy View Post
      .243, 375, and a 12ga
      Very good choice!
      When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
      '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
      2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Comment

After your 30-06, a 22lr and you may be all set. Instead of separating rifles according to targeted species, separating them by geography may be better. A faster flatter cartridge for high elevation and long range for sheep/goats/caribou and something slower bigger for low elevation and short range for moose/bear or deer with bears around. I would think your 30-06 would be fine for both.

Comment

Might sound off the wall until you think about it, but how about a muzzleloader? Pass the exam and you qualify for all sorts of primitive weapon hunts around the state. Won't cost you an arm and a leg either, like lots of the other options.
          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
          Merle Haggard

Comment

7-mm08, 22 LR, 12 gauge..

Comment

You X-Bolt in '06 would do about anything, I use mine in .270 for a mountain rifle and open tundra caribou gun. I'd shoot a moose with it without hesitation and a griz under the right circumstances.

Add a .22LR- a GOOD bolt action one with a scope for practice and small game hunting.

A shotgun of some persuasion if you want for ducks and grouse.

If a guy was into predator hunting- a decent .22 Centerfire would be a good addition.

I'm a big fan of the .375 with irons if you want a bigger bore or a lever gun in 45-70 for hiking around but I think BrownBear's suggestion of a muzzle loader makes a lot of sense...you'll qualify for draw tags year after year and get some great opportunities out of it.
              "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                Might sound off the wall until you think about it, but how about a muzzleloader? Pass the exam and you qualify for all sorts of primitive weapon hunts around the state. Won't cost you an arm and a leg either, like lots of the other options.
                Hey so maybe it's like that ADFG bio who used a plane to finish his moose, but:

Can you use a non primitive gun to finish off something that you wounded with a muzzleloader?

Comment

280 BA,
                  30-30. LA,
                  22 volver,
                  357 volver
                  20 gauge SB shotgun.

SOTN

PS Could sub 7 mag for 280, and 44 for 357
                  Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                  Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                  You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by mike h View Post
                    Can you use a non primitive gun to finish off something that you wounded with a muzzleloader?
                    As far as I know, nodamway.
                    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                    Merle Haggard

Comment

The 30-06 is a good start, next I would add a 45-70 lever gun, a 22-24 caliber for varmints and a good 22 LR bolt action rifle.

Comment

Ruger American 22lr, ugly but they shoot and are durable.
                        .223, Either AR-15 SDM configuration, or a kimber montana
                        Kimber Montana in either 7-08 or .308 for mountain rifle, dense brush rifle, pretty much all around deer, caribou, sheep and goat rifle.
                        I'd look for a used Ruger all weather in .338 win mag for your moose, bear or backup rifle, though a Mdl 70 375 H&H ss would also be a fine choice.

I know that excludes your -06, but it's too heavy for a mountain rifle, and while the -06 is a great round, it doesn't quite have the reserve power of .338 or larger.
                        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

One that I would invite you to consider is 6.8 SPC II especially in a quality AR-platform. There are many times when a person is not really hunting, they are Ski-Dooing (Hehehehehehe) and have a shot at a wolf, lynx, wolverine, etc. The 6.8 SPC II is perfect for caribou & black bear. It is very functional out to 300 yards on thin skinned targets.
                          "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

.375h&h, .22lr, 12ga.

You could cheat like me and get a .22/.410 combo gun, I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cover the basics - Pistol (44mag ?), shotgun (12ga), two rifles (22lr & your 30-06Sprig). Very soon you will be fleshing in your collection in all 3 categories depending on interests and focus. Can't say I disagree with BrownBear. Muzzleloading guns are fun to shoot and open up restricted hunts.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X