Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

leupold scope issue at the range

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • leupold scope issue at the range

    hello all
    took my sako A7 in 30-06 out for a shoot today. it really likes the nos accubonds, so I had them with me.
    last time I shot it was august, had it poking 1/2", groups at 100 yards, 2 inches high.
    everything was good.
    scope is leupold vx 3, 4.5-14.

    today, fired the first few shots, and they grouped tight, but 6 inches high, not the two as before.
    fired three more with cooling time in between, same result.
    hmmm, so I figure I will dial down the adjustment to lower it approx. 4 inches, not sure of how it even happened.
    the dial to adjust the vertical was totally locked up. I could not turn it at all with finger pressure. stopped at that point, and figured I would
    play with it later. got home, and the dial turns as it should. snug, but turns ok, like they normally are.

    anybody experience this? ideas?

  • #2
    all things "mechanical" can mess up or fail on occasion - take it off, package it well and send it to Leupold with a note inside explaining - they will fix it and send it back on their dime with a print out of what they did (they'll take it all apart and check EVERYTHING) and what they found - downside is you'll have to re-sight in as they'll send it back as a new scope with adjustments centered

    Comment


    • #3
      I sent one of my scopes back to Leupold a few months ago and they sent me a email that said it was non repairable. They asked if I wanted a matt finish or a glossy finish on my new scope that they was going to replace it with. I paid shipping to them and they took care of everything else. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to have a new scope in my hands. I own over a dozen Leupolds and have been very pleased with them. If you have a problem they will take care of it.

      Comment


      • #4
        You can't get better customer service than what you get from Leupold. My brother fell on his 6.5x20 Leupold and broke it in the middle. He sent it in telling them what happened, hoping they would use some parts over. They sent him a brand new scope.
        I have sent one back and they repaired it for free. I won't buy any other brand.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

        Comment


        • #5
          What they said above...even Leupold scopes occasionally (but rarely) take a dump.

          Point being, Leupold BENDS over backwards to solve the problem...most times with a new or upgraded model at no cost.

          I don't buy or shoot any other brand of scope...can't understand why anyone else would either.

          Comment


          • #6
            Was your scope dial hard to turn or was it stopped out......no more adjustment available?

            Comment


            • #7
              locked up

              Originally posted by VernAK View Post
              Was your scope dial hard to turn or was it stopped out......no more adjustment available?
              it was about in the middle of the adjustment. it just would not turn at all, like it was super glued.

              Comment


              • #8
                Any updates?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have sent 2 Bushnell Scopes back because they were damaged, from dropping or something, and they were both repaired for $12.95 shipping and handling.

                  I had a Leupold VX II 2x7 that had a very tight power ring. I emailed Leupold if they could fix that, Yes, but when I got it back, it was just the same.

                  Well, someone had GIVEN the thing to me, and I GAVE it to someone else.

                  I don't have blind faith in Leupold. I think they are overpriced. They have a cheaper line now, the Redfield name they bought, and those would probably be more up my alley.

                  Smitty of the North
                  Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                  Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                  You can't out-give God.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I own several Leupolds and most of them are 15 to 20 years old or older. Of these at least half or a little more was purchased used. I have been shooting them for 35 + years and have sent 2 back for repair. One was replaced with a new scope and the other was a tight power ring. They went through this scope and cleaned and repaired it. I could sell my Leupolds now for more than I give for them. They are well worth the money for me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I used Bushnell for years mainly because it was what I could afford. I started using Leopold and will not have another Bushnell on a rifle ever again.
                      It's not that they are a bad piece of glass but they are just not a very good piece of glass. FOV is not as good, and clarity as well. Nikon is now making a reasonably priced scope and seems to be very clear I bought one a couple years ago and it has been working pretty good.
                      sigpic
                      Sweepint
                      Wasilla,
                      '' Livn' The Dream ''
                      26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I bought a Leupold VXII two years ago from Fred Meyers for 50% off and had to send it back to Leupold, as the power ring became alomst impossible to turn. I got it back in 4 weeks time, and no problems now. I have a couple of Bushnell scopes (all Elite series), Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold. Of all the ones I have never had to send in for repair of any kind, Nikon. Vortex sent me a letter saying I was at fault for the scope I sent back to them, claiming I over torqued it. I know for a fact I did not over torgue it as I use a torgue wrench, and the scope wouldn't hold zero on any rifle it was on. While I may complain ( I won't own anything less than their Viper line now), they had by far the quickest turnaround. 1 week from the day I sent it in, I had a new scope at my door. Bushnell, Simmons, and Leupold were all 4 weeks or more to get back.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Vortex sent you and email saying it was your fault? wow, never heard of them doing that before. I swear by vortex, I own their razor spotting and their razor binos. Both are just magnificent optics. I ended up breaking the spotting on a goat hunt (took a fall) and sent it in and had it back just like new within 2 weeks. I won't own anything other than vortex now and have had issues with leupold and nikon. leupold takes a while and their gold ring warranty is comparable to the VIP from vortex. My experience with nikon was less than satisfactory and won't buy from them again. Did Vortex replace your product even saying it was your fault? I was just surprise to hear that type of response from them.


                          Originally posted by Hudge View Post
                          I bought a Leupold VXII two years ago from Fred Meyers for 50% off and had to send it back to Leupold, as the power ring became alomst impossible to turn. I got it back in 4 weeks time, and no problems now. I have a couple of Bushnell scopes (all Elite series), Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold. Of all the ones I have never had to send in for repair of any kind, Nikon. Vortex sent me a letter saying I was at fault for the scope I sent back to them, claiming I over torqued it. I know for a fact I did not over torgue it as I use a torgue wrench, and the scope wouldn't hold zero on any rifle it was on. While I may complain ( I won't own anything less than their Viper line now), they had by far the quickest turnaround. 1 week from the day I sent it in, I had a new scope at my door. Bushnell, Simmons, and Leupold were all 4 weeks or more to get back.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by acelia8912 View Post
                            Vortex sent you and email saying it was your fault? wow, never heard of them doing that before. I swear by vortex, I own their razor spotting and their razor binos. Both are just magnificent optics. I ended up breaking the spotting on a goat hunt (took a fall) and sent it in and had it back just like new within 2 weeks. I won't own anything other than vortex now and have had issues with leupold and nikon. leupold takes a while and their gold ring warranty is comparable to the VIP from vortex. My experience with nikon was less than satisfactory and won't buy from them again. Did Vortex replace your product even saying it was your fault? I was just surprise to hear that type of response from them.
                            Yes, Vortex sent me a brand new scope, along with the letter. I was kind of taken back by the letter, but I have gotten over it. I ended up selling the scope for about $10 less than the original one I bought. I have since bought a Viper scope that I an happy with. The last scopes I have bought was one Burris, 1 Leupold, and 2 Vortex (to include the one I sent back and sold). I am looking at new binos now and the Vortex Talon HD is at the top of the list.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ok! Happy to hear that they did send a new one. Check out the bargain cave at cabela's sometimes you can find your optics there. That's where I found my razor binos and they were $500 off. They were brand new too!

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X