Forbes or mountain ascent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbes or mountain ascent

I was thinking of going the custom route for a lightweight mountain rifle but I am now thinking I may just buy an off the shelf rifle. I had initially thought I was going to go 257wby but I want to shed as much weight as possible so now I have decided to go with the short action 7mm-08.
    I know some on here have the kimber, does anyone have the forbes? How do they shoot for you what do you like or don't like. I'm leaning forbes myself because of the 500 dollar difference and only an ounce or two difference between them.
    Thanks

I have one Forbes in 270 caliber. Without any adjustments it shot better with three different brands of ammo than any of the four Kimber rifles in three different calibers that I have owned.

Lately their have been some complaints about the finishing work on the Forbes rifle. Especially in the bedding area. Check out what you buy carefully for cosmetic situations. If you do it online be sure to ask for quality pictures, several of them from different angles, of the stock separated from the action.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Comment

I have a kimber Montana 84l and secretly covet the forbes. I don't need one and the weight drop isn't that much but I will likely find an excuse to get one anyway.

Comment

Check this out. Might help.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showt...mountain-rifle

Comment

Tuff choice.

I know, when sheep hunting, every 1/2 oz. seems worth saving, but it ain't gonna be easy, no matter what kinda rifle you pack.

If I just HAD to have an extremely light weight rifle, Personally, I wouldn't choose either, partly because I don't like the stock designs. They're both pretty much the same.

I seen a Weatherby Ultra Light in 280 Rem. that would suit me fine. IIRC, It didn't have a short barrel either.

I'd like to see some real world info on how well these skinny barrels shoot.

Smitty of the North

http://www.impactguns.com/weatherby-...115410941.aspx
          Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
          Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
          You can't out-give God.

Comment

Try to check out one of the Ascents before you commit to that one. I know that some like them, but on the one I played with the fluting on the bolt make for a very "rachety" feel when working the action. I much preferred the standard 84L. YMMV

Comment

I have 2 Kimber MAs mine is a 30-06 and was a shooter and fed well straight from the box. The wife's 280AI needed the magazine box fitted and polished. Adjusted the trigger on both and both need loctite added to the firing pin set screw as they both came loose and allowed for soft primer strikes.

I'm just not a push to feed guy, like being able to lock the bolt down, 3 position safety.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Originally posted by boliep View Post

Lately their have been some complaints about the finishing work on the Forbes rifle. Especially in the bedding area. Check out what you buy carefully for cosmetic situations. If you do it online be sure to ask for quality pictures, several of them from different angles, of the stock separated from the action.
                Good advice here, many complaints about Forbes out-the-door quality right now.
                I'm a lefty and badly desire an all stainless LH 20B, but I won't do so until I'm assured of the QC problems resolved.

As far as an Ascent...can't imagine why a guy would buy one unless he has money rolling in and a deep obsession for high-priced gear.

There was a Montana .308 listed here in the classifieds two months ago for $700. I have the same gun for my wife, with a few titanium tweaks and a total cost of $1000, she has a tack driver in the 4lb's range. A guy will spend another $800 for a heavier gun and 'digitized camo' for the Ascent.
                Proud to be an American!

Comment

Originally posted by fullkurl View Post
                  As far as an Ascent...can't imagine why a guy would buy one unless he has money rolling in and a deep obsession for high-priced gear.
                  Thanks,, I have both... No need to insult. I know you are smarter than I, you are a teacher after all.

The main difference with the Mountain Ascent and the plain Kimbers is the "Brake", it is the brake that makes that MA more accurate in a light rifle. Light rifles are not known to be one hole accurate or easy to shoot.
                  "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

I have a Forbes 30-06 and I don't have any regrets. It shoots great with factory 150 TTSXs and 165 partitions. If you want the inside of the stock to look as good as the outside, don't buy it. That is the biggest complaint that I hear. But I buy rifles to shoot and bounce off alders, so I could care less what the inside of the stocks looks like. The finish on the barrel and action has held up great.It has been on 3 backpack hunts and strapped to the ATV for some time. Compared to my a-bolt 270, this thing feels like a feather on my pack. Ready to head out the door (sling, scope cover, loaded) it weighed 6 lb 10 oz.

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                      Thanks,, I have both... No need to insult. I know you are smarter than I, you are a teacher after all.

The main difference with the Mountain Ascent and the plain Kimbers is the "Brake", it is the brake that makes that MA more accurate in a light rifle. Light rifles are not known to be one hole accurate or easy to shoot.
                      No insult was intended, Steve. One only has to read various forums to see guys tripping over themselves for $1000 rain gear ensembles or $2k rifles that can be equalled (and exceeded) quite easily.
                      And yes, the brake is nice, Renee's Montana is equipped with one. It was already installed on the rifle when I bought it.
                      Proud to be an American!

Comment

0321Tony,
                        The Mountain Ascent in the 84M model only comes in a .308 Win.. - I just checked their website. At 4# 13 oz. in the MA, you are saving 5 ounces over the standard 84M Montana which you CAN get in a 7mm-08. Here you will be saving about $200 when compared to the Forbes 20B. I had two 24 B's in 30-06, they shot very well but I am a 3 position safety guy and like CRF. Plus the shorter more compact grip allowed the trigger guard to hit my middle finger if I wasn't careful. I sold them both after getting a smack on the middle finger with an existing bruise - I was cured. Good luck.

Comment

Every *owner* comment I've read concerning the weight of the MA is that the factory is putting out unrealistic numbers regarding the weight of the ascent. If they are 4'13", great, thats a tasty weight; but every person I have read from states that their gun came in heavier (sometimes much heavier) than advertised and expected.
                          Originally posted by knikglacier View Post
                          0321Tony,The Mountain Ascent in the 84M model only comes in a .308 Win.. - I just checked their website. At 4# 13 oz. in the MA, you are saving 5 ounces over the standard 84M Montana which you CAN get in a 7mm-08. Here you will be saving about $200 when compared to the Forbes 20B. I had two 24 B's in 30-06, they shot very well but I am a 3 position safety guy and like CRF. Plus the shorter more compact grip allowed the trigger guard to hit my middle finger if I wasn't careful. I sold them both after getting a smack on the middle finger with an existing bruise - I was cured. Good luck.
                          Proud to be an American!

Comment

Forbes or mountain ascent

84L in -06. 3oz below MFG weight. For less than the cost of a MA, I could get this down to equal weight.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Comment

that is the same my 84L 30-06 weighted when I got it and I replaced the trigger gruard and it dropped a little more. I would say it group around 1" - 1 1/2" I am looking into bedding the full lenght of the barrel. I put a heavy buisness under the barrel and it seemed to help a three group stay together. It seems many time I get a little bit of a flyer on the third shot of a three shot string. Over all I am happy with my kimber and went into it wanting the CRF action knowing if it did not shoot well I could replace the barrel and have alot of work done before I broke the price range of a custom gun in the same weight.how ever mine has developed some surface rust that I have not cleaned yet because I still have hunting trips planned and will take it apart when I am done I may even have it coated.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X