Sending a handgun via USPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending a handgun via USPS

What are the rules/legalities of shipping a firearm via the US Postal Service to another state--like WA or TX? Is this above the board legal? Will the receiving party need any paperwork? How much of a hassle? FFL mess?

Tim

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
    What are the rules/legalities of shipping a firearm via the US Postal Service to another state--like WA or TX? Is this above the board legal? Will the receiving party need any paperwork? How much of a hassle? FFL mess?

Tim
    USPS does not ship handguns. Period. If you want to ship a handgun, you have to send it UPS or FedEx. New corporate rules (not federal laws) mean that they (UPS & FedEx) now require that you ship firearms to an FFL. FFL transfer will mean the standard laws for the state they are shipped to. Likely a 4473 form and a background check at a minimum. (PS, this new corp policy includes shipping to yourself now.)

By law you can ship any firearm via common carrier from yourself to yourself. However, if the intent is to transfer the firearm (ie, sale or giving to) you have to use an FFL for any transfers that cross state lines.

Comment

I believe an FFL holder can ship a hand gun via USPS. Everyone else, common carrier. Long guns, no problem USPS as long as it goes to an FFL holder.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Tim
        From the horse's mouth. LINK
        Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
          From the horse's mouth. LINK
          Good point, I re-read my post and realized I neglected to clarify that I was talking about individuals (non-FFL, non-dealer, non-manuf) only. It was in my head, but it didn't make it onto the post. Sorry about that.

Comment

Good to know.

Forgot about the possibility of a 4473, even though I'm not selling it.

Comment

Can ammunition be sent through the USPS? Couldn't find it on USPS site, via the link 1Cor posted.

Tim

Comment

Can ammunition be sent through the USPS? Couldn't find it on USPS site, via the link 1Cor posted.

Tim
                Here's your LINK

You'll want to read 341.21.

Comment

Take it apart and send it in two separate packages. The packages contain then gun parts and not a functioning handgun. Gun parts are legal to ship as long as they don't fall under the "restricted" definition which is for silenced, full auto, etc...
                  AKmud
                  sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                    Take it apart and send it in two separate packages. The packages contain then gun parts and not a functioning handgun. Gun parts are legal to ship as long as they don't fall under the "restricted" definition which is for silenced, full auto, etc...
                    From the above link to the USPS

Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
                    It's really not that hard to read the regs, especially when they're linked, before a person answers

Comment

Thanks again 1Cor.

So how does Cabelal's get away with shipping ammo? UPS?

Comment

thanks again 1cor.

So how does cabelal's get away with shipping ammo? Ups?
                        ups

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80834[/ATTACH]

Comment

The silly thing is if someone from Anchorage fedx's me a pistol it comes in the mail as we don't have fedx here,go figure.
                          Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Thanks again 1Cor.

So how does Cabelal's get away with shipping ammo? UPS?
                            I've received ammo via UPS and FedEx years ago, but can't say for certain right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
                              I've received ammo via UPS and FedEx years ago, but can't say for certain right now.
                              FedEx and UPS recently changed their policies. By recently I mean sometime in the last 5 years. I don't know exactly when, but I'm really guessing it was more like in the last 3. One of the new policies is that (for UPS) they will not ship ammo other than ground. They cannot ship it by ground via Canada, so it's limited to the contiguous 48, or intra-state for AK and HI.

Another change is that they used to ship from self to self (no FFL) but they don't allow that any more. It's not a law, it's a policy. Now an FFL must be involved to receive (or manuf, importer, collector). Which means now if you choose to ship your hunting rifle to yourself via UPS or FedEx in AK, it has to go through an FFL, which means 4473 and background check. On your own rifle. Cool right?

It's only getting harder to be a law abiding citizen who owns a gun. Pretty soon you won't be able to transport it anywhere. (sorry, pessimism there)

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X