Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience hunting with Berger VLDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two different tyes of Berger vld they are the target and hunting bullet the jacket thickness is the difference between them. I too suspect the large amount of blood shot meat would be from using the wrong bullet. There are a few hunting shows that use only Berger bullets, extreme outer limits is one and I've seen some interesting shots taken by them with very good results not sure how much is actual footage and what is hyped up but they have flat smashed most of the animals I've seen them shoot. Google "terminal ballistic research" there are some really good articles and great reports on various calibers and bullets in each there I'm talking days worth of reading. This is probably the same articles out of new Zealand that were mentioned earlier in this thread, it seems mostly un biased and accurate info to me and I've studied this particular subject at length for many years.

Comment

Some quick research and links...may help some to understand.

Explanation of 'Hybrid" design
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RpQtyI_p4

Hunting vs. tactical
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIrzeomS7Rc

Hunting vs. target
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_DdAxuyrN4

Short to long range performance
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8j-7D-bubQ

Seems to me to be pretty simple...if you want to anchor an animal where it stands...use a hunting VLD/hybrid. If you want to preserve meat and possibly have an animal run then use something more solid. Either way it looks like hunter preference as they all do the job if the shooter does. The only difference in my eyes is whether or not the animal suffers/runs. And yes, with a good shot, other bullets anchor game too. It just seems that VLD type does it better/more often.

I am anxious to test it for myself in the .308 tactical version. I have been using Federal ammo in my Sig 716 with great accuracy so this would tell me if it actually tightens groups or if the rifle rejects the loads. More damage at the other end is my goal as it is not a hunting rifle.
      sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

If I'm going to lose the front half of the animal every time I shoot one, I'm through hunting. Easy math.
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
          If I'm going to lose the front half of the animal every time I shoot one, I'm through hunting. Easy math.
          100% agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

I view berger bullets as some outrageous concoction all hopped up on "SD" and "BC", for the new crowd of immature, video game playing, tac-geardo nerded, longe-range morons. I view bergers like I view smoke stacks on pick-up trucks............
            www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

I wish I'd read this thread yesterday ..... Anyways, I coat my bullets (hence this story) I loaded some 140 VLD hunting bullets for my 7mm RM last year for spring black bear, shot a not very large one, hit it in the shoulder at 255 yds and it punched a nice clean kill shot hole with no fragmentation or "blow up" at all - Berger specifically says "our hunting bullets will penetrate 3 -4" then violently fragment killing the animal by massive shock from bloodloss and trauma" My son killed a cow elk at around 250 last season with a 150 / .277 from a 270 WSM, a good lung hit and there was a pretty good mess of bloodshot - I am thinking the reason my bear didn't have that is because the moly-coating sort of plugged the hollowpoint hole and changed the behavior a bit (just conjecture) but GOSH ! they sure do shoot nice little groups ! Just this morning I loaded 50 .284 / 168 VLD classic hunters for my 7mm RM (the thought in the back of my mind suggests pulling them apart and going with something else) I AM normally a premium bullet kind of guy ......

Comment

Quote- I view berger bullets as some outrageous concoction all hopped up on "SD" and "BC", for the new crowd of immature, video game playing, tac-geardo nerded, longe-range morons. I view bergers like I view smoke stacks on pick-up trucks............

Come on Mariner, quit setting on the fence and tell us what you really think. Thanks for the chuckle friend!

Comment

Originally posted by northwoods View Post
                  VLD's are not some "high tech" wonder bullet. They are a merely a hybrid ogive projectile that is very concentric and uniform. I am amused at your willingness to go where others have gone before, seems like talking to my kids when they were teenagers.....
                  Best of luck.
                  northwoods- my intent is not to amuse you- really. Have you visited and read everything at the Berger website? I have no experience with the Berger bullets and read they were discovered to work as hunting bullets. In a way contrary to what conventional wisdom dictates. I can see how some hunters are so stuck in tradition, they put down the Bergers with zero experience? Berger warned me about all the so called "Experts".

There seems to be so much contradiction on these bullets, but when I watch a video of a single 243 Berger dropping an elk like lightning at over 600 yards... and when I see a 168 Berger 7 Remington Mag down a Big bull elk at 1100 yards... when I read how 185 30 cal Bergers drop Bull moose with single shots... I could go on... well, I take notice because the Bergers just might be the better killers with better accuracy?

So far only a few here have demonstrated actual experience with Bergers and I value those reports. I remember when the X bullets first came out. Many hunters scoffed at them, but look at all the mono bullets today. The Bergers have a bigger hill to climb because hunters view them as target projectiles. It's very possible several hunters mistakenly use the wrong Berger bullets, the ones intended just for target shooting, resulting in failures. Berger said they had to change the color of their hunting bullet packaging to Orange because of that!

Despite all the naysayers... The more I research the more examples of where even the lowly 30-06 is dropping moose with 1 shot out to 200 yards shooting the Bergers. Obviously they must somehow work? How many of you regularly expect to instantly drop your moose with 1 shot? I've seen it but that's not my regular experience shooting 300 & 338 Win and 375 H&H with well placed shots. My last moose took 3 minutes to fall with one shot through the lungs and heart.

If the Bergers destroy lots of meat, then perhaps only lung shots should be taken? This is what I want to find out before I buy into the Berger concept. The more I research the more I'm convinced to try them. I may discover they perform great or horrible. I know how an 06 handles a PNW jungle elk- most in my group shoot the 06 and I just may supply them this fall with Bergers. I expect the Bergers to pretty much drop the elk on the spot and as for meat damage we'll see.

No I'm not trying to amuse anyone and luck has little to do with this. I'm only interested in becoming a more knowledgeable, responsible and ethical hunter. I've tried many bullets and so far for me the Nosler Partitions consistently perform the best on big game. If the Berger hunting bullets fail or waste excess meat... well that's that and unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cabochris View Post
                    northwoods- my intent is not to amuse you- really. Have you visited and read everything at the Berger website? I have no experience with the Berger bullets and read they were discovered to work as hunting bullets. In a way contrary to what conventional wisdom dictates. I can see how some hunters are so stuck in tradition, they put down the Bergers with zero experience? Berger warned me about all the so called "Experts".

There seems to be so much contradiction on these bullets, but when I watch a video of a single 243 Berger dropping an elk like lightning at over 600 yards... and when I see a 168 Berger 7 Remington Mag down a Big bull elk at 1100 yards... when I read how 185 30 cal Bergers drop Bull moose with single shots... I could go on... well, I take notice because the Bergers just might be the better killers with better accuracy?

So far only a few here have demonstrated actual experience with Bergers and I value those reports. I remember when the X bullets first came out. Many hunters scoffed at them, but look at all the mono bullets today. The Bergers have a bigger hill to climb because hunters view them as target projectiles. It's very possible several hunters mistakenly use the wrong Berger bullets, the ones intended just for target shooting, resulting in failures. Berger said they had to change the color of their hunting bullet packaging to Orange because of that!

Despite all the naysayers... The more I research the more examples of where even the lowly 30-06 is dropping moose with 1 shot out to 200 yards shooting the Bergers. Obviously they must somehow work? How many of you regularly expect to instantly drop your moose with 1 shot? I've seen it but that's not my regular experience shooting 300 & 338 Win and 375 H&H with well placed shots. My last moose took 3 minutes to fall with one shot through the lungs and heart.

If the Bergers destroy lots of meat, then perhaps only lung shots should be taken? This is what I want to find out before I buy into the Berger concept. The more I research the more I'm convinced to try them. I may discover they perform great or horrible. I know how an 06 handles a PNW jungle elk- most in my group shoot the 06 and I just may supply them this fall with Bergers. I expect the Bergers to pretty much drop the elk on the spot and as for meat damage we'll see.

No I'm not trying to amuse anyone and luck has little to do with this. I'm only interested in becoming a more knowledgeable, responsible and ethical hunter. I've tried many bullets and so far for me the Nosler Partitions consistently perform the best on big game. If the Berger hunting bullets fail or waste excess meat... well that's that and unacceptable.
                    Okay. Please report back with your findings.

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
                      I view berger bullets as some outrageous concoction all hopped up on "SD" and "BC", for the new crowd of immature, video game playing, tac-geardo nerded, longe-range morons. I view bergers like I view smoke stacks on pick-up trucks............
                      What is "SD" and "BC"?..... Is it sight distance and ballistic climb?

Comment

Sectional Density and Ballistic Coefficient

Comment

Cabochris - THAT certainly seems like a reasonable approach AND attitude to me ... I'll do the same if I am lucky enough to use those 168's this fall

Comment

This post made me laugh and spill my hot cocoa...

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't help myself....

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X