Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1Cor15:19
    replied
    I'm in agreement with BrownBear and Paul H, in that barrel length doesn't make much difference even though my Whelen is 24". I'm taller than average and tend to build rifles that are longer than the average rifle. I use a 14" LOP and typically a 23-24 inch barrel and find that it balances and handles well so long as the contour is modest and the stock is in the neighborhood of 30-32 oz. A rifle that "feels" good in your hands will perform better in the field than a rifle that doesn't irrespective of what the barrel length is or the velocity it produces.

I'd be fine with 21" barrel performance from a Whelen.

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    Bottleneck rifle cartridges gain/loose 25-30 fps per inch of barrel for barrels 18" and longer, go shorter than 18 the loss is ~50 fps/inch. So going from 24-22 you loose 50-60 fps, going 24-20 you loose 100-120 fps.

Build it the way the want it, a 225 @ "only" 2650 fps is still going to punch tags as far out as you can place your shots.

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    Going from 24" down to 20" isn't likely to cost you more than 100fps. That's not enough difference to mean anything at 400 yards to anyone but a politician or ad man. You'll be happiest with whatever length makes your heart go pitty pat. Mine does the pitty pat when I have a field gun that's easy to carry and quick to handle for the closer shots. Long shots mean using a rest, and almost any configuration is going to work. I won't own a non-mag like the Whelen over 22", and depending on the barrel contour and stock would carefully consider 20". Next guy is going to have a completely different combo that pats his heart, but neither he nor I are going to be carrying and shooting the rifle for you.

Leave a comment:

• Cabochris
    started a topic 35 Whelen Barrel Length?

35 Whelen Barrel Length?

According to Nosler their 225 AB loading at 2750 fps in 35 Whelen shoots pretty flat to 400 yards and still carries more than 2,000 lbs energy. That seems pretty impressive especially for elk and moose.

When I re-barrel my bolt gun to 35 Whelen, what length barrel? The barrel I have in mind is 24 inches and obviously 24 would bring out more of the cartridge, but a shorter barrel seems handier? 22 inches is only 2 inches shorter than 24 and it seems kind of silly cutting the barrel back only 2 inches. What about a 20 or 21 inch barrel- too short?

If I cut back to 21 inches then perhaps should give up on the idea of longer range shots with the Whelen? I just find hand loaded to 2800 fps... a 225gr 35 non-magnum shooting to 400 yards impressive! With well placed shots that should really thump everything!

Or, should I give up on the idea of shooting long with the Whelen and cut the barrel back?

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X