35 Whelen Barrel Length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cabochris View Post
    True, but I'm not talking a stopping rifle here- it's an all-round hunting piece. It holds 3 in the clip and one in the chamber. Plus as many spare magazine clips of 3 rounds I want. Often I hunt with a round in the chamber, sometimes I don't. While I never expect to have a bear encounter, I sure would rather be packing a 35 Whelen with 3 or 4 rounds and loaded spare clip magazines, than any 30-06 with 5 in the mag. Plus I can get a higher capacity mag for the Tikka to carry in bear country where legal. I believe it will hold 5 35 Whelen rounds.

I once hired a packer in Montana. In his scabbard was an iron sighted 444 Marlin. He told me it was for grizzly protection on the trail. He said it has and will take care of any bear that chooses to hassle his pack string. He liked the 444 better than the 45-70. I believed him because if it weren't adequate he would be packing something different and that style lever gun is awful quick! With the right bullets I would feel secure with a 444 in bear country, because I know it's faster than any bolt gun... and pretty quick to reload with practice. (not sure your basic semi-auto is reliable enough? Like a Browning Safari in 338 WM) Oh, the packer smiled at my can of bear spray on my belt!

Funny, I recall reading on the AK Dept. of Wildlife site... I think it was recommended or implied that a rifle was not a great choice in bear defense, so hunters visiting AK didn't really need a cannon? I think Bear Spray was recommended? On the other hand I read bears are actually attracted to that hot stuff?

But yes you're right- having more in the mag is a good thing. And you're right about overemphasis on barrel length too. I was just wondering if a longer barrel might help to stretch every inch of range out of the modern Whelen. I suspect it would, yet most likely not be as important as I think? I've settled on a slightly longer than 22" barrel.
    your points are crap, consider red squirrels.
    www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

Any guy who shoots running moose offhand at 400 yards doesn't need our advice.

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
        your points are crap, consider red squirrels.
        What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by aknome View Post
          Any guy who shoots running moose offhand at 400 yards doesn't need our advice.
          On the contrary, I'm always willing to learn from those in the know.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X