Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elmerkeithclone
    replied
    I have always loved the 222. You can load them down a bit with Blue Dot and have the nicest squirrel hunting rig around.

I have never seen a 222 that didn't have a sweet spot.

Leave a comment:

• tvfinak
    replied
    finally found a set..

It took a year and a half but I finally found a set of the vertically split rings for my Ruger! Price was not for the faint of heart, but you gotta pay what you gotta pay.

I've got an old Redfield 12X of the period I may put on it; when I get it together I'll post a picture or two.

Originally posted by tvfinak View Post
    I was a gun show down south a couple of weeks ago and stumbled across an early Ruger No. with a 3 digit serial no: 8xx. It was chambered for the .222 Rem cartridge and has the lightweight 22" barrel- a kind of neat configuration. Unfortunately I didn't get the early vertically split rings- I've got to find a set somewhere.

The workmanship - fit and finish - on these early No. 1 is really superb. From what I've heard they fitted the wood to the unfinished metal and then finished the wood and metal and put them back together again.

Anyone else experienced with and/or fans of these early No. 1rifles?

Leave a comment:

• Armymark
    replied
    Originally posted by 7STW View Post
    Yes, I had a #1 in 22-250 which I bought in 1977.

Not to rain on your parade, but I was never impressed with this rifle.It was a mediocre shooter...the trigger couldn't be adjusted to achieve a decent pull...and a poorly installed quarter rib never allowed a Leupold scope to be zeroed without shimming the rings.

Once I picked up a 40X KS in 22-250, the #1 went down the river quickly.
    i have a few No. 1s and all shoot Moa but, I have one from the 70s in 6mm Rem. I shot that thing and experimented with a lot of different bullets and was about to give up on it. Then I tried one more bullet and started working up and it shot like crap for the first few loads working up then suddenly, the next load it went to a 5 shot half inch group and it will still shoot that load.! Talk about finicky.

Leave a comment:

• hoose35
    replied
    Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I dunno where you've been tvfinak, but I'm glad you made it back.

Smitty of the North
    I think he has been commercial fishing all summer, or maybe working in cannery on Kodiak

Leave a comment:

• tvfinak
    replied
    Thanks!

I've been pretty busy lately with a new job - got to retire for 3 months - and my daughter and her family living with us temporarily.

Hope you are getting along OK.

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North

Leave a comment:

• Eastwoods
    replied
    I've looked for one in 45-70....actually found many.....but, haven't pulled the trigger b/c I want to feel like I'm getting a deal, and want one with wood of my taste/fancy. I love looking though. The 45-70's are built on the medium frame, hence, about 7 1/2 lbs. Although, I think the older ones may be the heavier Tropical model.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty of the North
    replied

Smitty of the North

Leave a comment:

• 7STW
    replied
    No doubt, the aesthetics of the #1 are very attractive for the price.

But I want my rifles to perform.For me, performance is always the top consideration.Pretty is as pretty does.

This early #1 was a looker...but had an advanced case of BO LOL.

Leave a comment:

• .338 mag.
    replied
    I also read Bill Ruger had good wood and extra attention to fit and finish as well as Douglas barrels on some of the early Ruger No. 1 rifles. I hope to get one in .308 Win. some day.

Leave a comment:

• tvfinak
    replied
    just a quality neat gun

I haven't shot this one yet and I really don't expect it to be a tack driver- although it may be. I have other guns to tackle shots that require precise accuracy.

But the configuration and feel of the single shot and the quality of the workmanship including finish are what are attractive to me. I would have to pay much much more to get the quality of this rifle in another form.

Originally posted by 7STW View Post

Not to rain on your parade, but I was never impressed with this rifle.It was a mediocre shooter...the trigger couldn't be adjusted to achieve a decent pull...and a poorly installed quarter rib never allowed a Leupold scope to be zeroed without shimming the rings.

Leave a comment:

• 7STW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sh
    replied
    No but you got a nice one sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• tvfinak
    started a topic Neat "new" Ruger No. 1

Neat "new" Ruger No. 1

I was a gun show down south a couple of weeks ago and stumbled across an early Ruger No. with a 3 digit serial no: 8xx. It was chambered for the .222 Rem cartridge and has the lightweight 22" barrel- a kind of neat configuration. Unfortunately I didn't get the early vertically split rings- I've got to find a set somewhere.

The workmanship - fit and finish - on these early No. 1 is really superb. From what I've heard they fitted the wood to the unfinished metal and then finished the wood and metal and put them back together again.

Anyone else experienced with and/or fans of these early No. 1rifles?

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X