Things That Happen On The Way To The Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things That Happen On The Way To The Range

So I decided to take two of my rifles to the range today, my .338 A-Square and my .300 RUM.

Going to the range is kind of a big production for me. I get the ammo together, get my little PressureTrace computer, my Acer comp (to run the data from the PT), tools, cleaning gear, rests, ect. I run over to storage to get my Oehler 35P, and off I go. I get about a mile from my house and I remember my staple gun. Crap. I turn around and get it. Get a mile from the house again and remember my camera. Crap. Turn around and get that...

Driving about halfway to the range I notice I am using more than the usual pedal pressure on my truck to make it go down the road. Also, it's pulling to the left all of a sudden. If that isn't enough of a mystery, the brake on the drivers side starts squealing really loud. I turn around yet again to drive back to the house. Almost back and I see a truck just about stopped in front of me, lock up the brakes. Man how embarrassing. By the time I get back, I can smell burning brake pad. Blech! Smells like burning clutch material. The hub is so hot I cannot touch it. I am done. Unpack everything and here I sit.

Sometimes I think the Lord is trying to tell me something.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

You should borrow your wife's car to go to the range with all your gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Wish I could, but one truck family.
      Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Comment

Better to find out on the way to the range than when descending a steep hill pulling a load!

Comment

Last week i got to the range only to find that i left the bolt out after cleaning
          Dohhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hate it when I forget the stapler. Even more embarrassing is remembering the stapler, but forgetting to check and see if it has staples in it.

Comment

Had a buddy come to the range with me, all excited to do some shooting, till he realized he had no ammo. Rookie move haha I had fun though
              Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

I had one trip that seemed to never end! Forgot bolt, wrong ammo, battery died on chrony, and forgot my shooting glasses - prescription ones! $ trips home and back, thankfully it was only 4 miles each way!
                Headed to Canada tomorrow fellas to drown some worms, see ya in about 10 days!
                When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMariner View Post
                  Hate it when I forget the stapler. Even more embarrassing is remembering the stapler, but forgetting to check and see if it has staples in it.
                  Who has a truck that doesn't have at least a partial roll of duct tape in it?

Comment

Originally posted by NRick View Post
                    Who has a truck that doesn't have at least a partial roll of duct tape in it?
                    Even if there isn't any in it, there is likely at least a fair amount ON it somewhere....

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                      I had one trip that seemed to never end! Forgot bolt, wrong ammo, battery died on chrony, and forgot my shooting glasses - prescription ones! $ trips home and back, thankfully it was only 4 miles each way!
                      Headed to Canada tomorrow fellas to drown some worms, see ya in about 10 days!
                      I forgot my Chrony once. I went out on a beautiful winter day, calm air, see for miles. Even more involved than loading the truck as everything has to go in my sled. Yup. Bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                        Even if there isn't any in it, there is likely at least a fair amount ON it somewhere....
                        None on mine!

But ya gotta listen to those little voices that say "this isn't the day to go to the range".

Comment

Now at least in Birchwood we have the new 3 Bears for your forgotten supplys!

Comment

Nitroman:

I caught your malady. You are a Carrier. I took off to the range tonight without the bag with all my Ammo etc.

Smitty of the North
                            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                            You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                              Nitroman:

I caught your malady. You are a Carrier. I took off to the range tonight without the bag with all my Ammo etc.

Smitty of the North
                              Ohhhh dear. Sorry about that. Only one cure though, pack it all up and go try again!! I am getting ready to try for tomorrow. If everything goes well, I am going to make some serious noise.
                              I have a new (old), .300 H&H made on a P-17 action. Well done though, bought some vintage ammo to try for velocity check. Same for a P-14 Winchester in .303 Brit with 1940's Remmie red box 215 grain torpedo's. My .300 RUM and .338 A2 will take center stage though. Might bring the .500 to warm up.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X