Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My latest Mini 14

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My latest Mini 14

    I did a little grumbling to the family recently about how I get to reload all the 223 ammo and it all gets shot through guns that I have purchased yet I get very little trigger time. It came to a head earlier this spring during in my quest to kill the Sasquatch Gopher(a huge ground hog that has my number). There wasn't a 223 rifle on the property. I put the word out to the boys in the family to fetch a 223 of one form or another back to my gun cabinet. What showed up was a newer Mini 14 Tactical with a red dot mounted like a scout scope.

    I just got around to finishing setting the gun up to my liking and working up a load for it. The ATI tacticool stock was replaced with a Hogue. Medium height Ruger factory rings were installed and after trying several scopes I settled on an old Universal scope with fine hairs in fixed 8x. After 20 times out and 20 times back in I now have a trigger that breaks clean at 3&1/2 pounds after the slack is taken up.

    The trip to the range left me as happy an confident in the rifle as any ever. As result I sent a mass text to "the boys" informing them that I had now staked claims on this Mini 14 & that it is not to leave the ranch. I shot 3 groups that all went under 1.5 inches using Hornady ZMax bullets on top of 26 grains of Benchmark.

    I was considering buying one of the new struts that are now manufactured to stabalize barrel harmonics on the Mini 14. However it looks a lot cleaner with out one and inch and a half moa suits my needs.

  • #2
    U bess be looking up a recipe for gopher stew I reckon EKC!
    I have always liked the looks of a mini 14 yet have never shot one...

    Took the neighbors 10 & 12 yr old nephews to the farm today and shot up a few boxes of 22LR that I was afraid may go stale!
    He brought along a German GPS, or something like that, with a silencer looking bbl shroud that gave us fits. It would fire a few then jam with only a slight impact on the case from the firing pin. Rem tgt ammo seemed to work better, but I could not pinpoint the problem. I tossed in a Henry 22 lever gun and a Ruger SR22 and the boys couldn't reload them fast enough.. Fun to watch kids enjoy the sport!

    The uncle told the boys he used to be able to hit a dime with a 22 stuck on a board. I said heck, I used to throw a quarter in the air, draw and shoot it with a pistola, and then hold my hand out to catch the 2 dimes and nickel that fell after I shot the quarter!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

    Comment


    • #3
      Good to hear the new 14's can shoot. I have an old stainless that does 3 or 4" at a hundred no matter what you do to it but that's still in a deer heart at that distance.
      Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Smokey View Post
        I said heck, I used to throw a quarter in the air, draw and shoot it with a pistola, and then hold my hand out to catch the 2 dimes and nickel that fell after I shot the quarter!
        That's pretty good, Smokey.

        I doubt, that even EKC could top that.

        SOTN
        Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
        Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
        You can't out-give God.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
          That's pretty good, Smokey.

          I doubt, that even EKC could top that.

          SOTN
          Nope Smitty, I can't compete with that. Ya ever try to catch 25 pennies all falling at the same time? I cain't do it.

          What really bothers me is getting out smarted by a gun shy woodchuck. I've even incorporated a trail camera and he is still there! Didn't know woodchucks had bird fingers He isn't far from getting 5 gallons of gas and a match!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
            Nope Smitty, I can't compete with that. Ya ever try to catch 25 pennies all falling at the same time? I cain't do it.

            What really bothers me is getting out smarted by a gun shy woodchuck. I've even incorporated a trail camera and he is still there! Didn't know woodchucks had bird fingers He isn't far from getting 5 gallons of gas and a match!
            Well, you do get MORE CHANGE, in terms of quanity.

            You two guys are amazing.

            Maybe, Susquatch WoodChuck deserves to live.

            Smitty of the North
            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
            You can't out-give God.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ya got to start with 5 nickels and slowly work up to 25 pennies. Ya also need to quit messing with the 223 and get a heavy barrel varmit gun in 6mmRem. Then you won't have problems with it walking off ( keep the 6mm stuff hidden ) and you can reach way out and touch that rascal. Zero the gun from your shooting perch to his front door, set back with a cold beverage and wait. Might even camo the shooting perch. Sometimes ya just hafta CHEAT. Might even have to set up a lady sasquatch gopher decoy. There are no rules in this war.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rbuck351 View Post
                Ya got to start with 5 nickels and slowly work up to 25 pennies. Ya also need to quit messing with the 223 and get a heavy barrel varmit gun in 6mmRem. Then you won't have problems with it walking off ( keep the 6mm stuff hidden ) and you can reach way out and touch that rascal. Zero the gun from your shooting perch to his front door, set back with a cold beverage and wait. Might even camo the shooting perch. Sometimes ya just hafta CHEAT. Might even have to set up a lady sasquatch gopher decoy. There are no rules in this war.
                And bathe it in chuck in heat urine. I already sat up one of those port a johns on stilts and loaded up some 300 grainers for the 375 huh&huh! Now I'm fixen to pour a frosty beverage in a bowl and lower it down his hole and sit n wait.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I too, am glad to hear that they are making Mini 14s that are accurate, nowadays.

                  Now, if they would make them in a cartridge of decent power. An Automatic Varmint gun just doesn't light my fire. Nor, does the, By Thirty Nine.

                  Smitty of the North
                  Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                  Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                  You can't out-give God.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                    I too, am glad to hear that they are making Mini 14s that are accurate, nowadays.

                    Now, if they would make them in a cartridge of decent power. An Automatic Varmint gun just doesn't light my fire. Nor, does the, By Thirty Nine.

                    Smitty of the North
                    Mini 30, it has been around for a while.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      EKC if'n ya get tired play'n hide and seek with that dirt devil just slap a 220 conibear over the hole and he will be history!
                      This was a first, a dbl in one trap - jr was coming out and momma was going in!
                      When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X