Thoughts on 44 mag bolt action versus lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on 44 mag bolt action versus lever

Just wondering if anybody has any insights on pros and cons of both action versus a lever action. Also does anybody have any particular thoughts on the make and model. Any help would be appreciated
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I've owned both. Never really mourned the partings with any of the 44 levers. Handy, but so are a lot of other lever guns. Frankly I preferred a 30-30 to the 44, or better yet my Marlin 35 Rem which I still own. I have a 44 wildcat based on the 45-70 case, and if I didn't own that it would be a 444. But the 44 lever just never found a place it could hold in my house.

But man.... Do I ever rue the day I let that bolt go. It was a Remington 788, a new gun way back in the day I owned it. Scary accurate because I had scoped it, and no slower to fire really than the lever. I tried scopes on the couple of Marlin levers I owned and hated the feel. Somehow the bolt felt just right with the scope. It's groups were about half the size of the levers, even when the levers were scoped. Never saw a ragged hole group with either scoped lever, no matter what I shoved into the pipe. Yet I expected the bolt to shoot ragged holes at 100 and was always surprised if it didn't.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Comment

If you can find one, the ruger 9644 is a light, fast, quick handling firearm.

Comment

My "Go'to" survival/walk-about firearm is the Ruger 44/77 because I can have six different type of cartridges with me (if I choose) & weight is 5.2 pounds. It took a fair amount of effort to get the proper Quick-Release rings for 30MM optics. I keep the optic in the backpack while walk'abouting, and if needed it mounts quickly and is dead-on zeroed everytime.........I need to re-paint the barrel a flat FDE
        http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...eets/7408.html

http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...D&sku=7408-RUG
        "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

What are the different cartridges you would carry?

Comment

Some with plastic points, some shot-shells, some 320 gr. HC COR-BON, some Federal "GOLD METAL" Match, some reduced (Cowboy) ammo, maybe "44 Special" Silver-tip 155 gr.Hollow point cartridges. It depends on the season of the year, and the mission objective. Generally only two or three types of cartridges.

Originally posted by mike h View Post
            What are the different cartridges you would carry?
            "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Had a 788 Remington for a while. Shot pretty well, carried easy. It might make a good survival gun unless you were approached my the bigger bears.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

AGL, how does it group? I've got a couple winchester 94's in 44, but can't see at 100 yards very well with my crappy eyes anymore, so getting one with a scope may be in the near future. I suppose I could get glasses, but I'd always forget wear them.
                Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

The Federal GOLD METAL Match ammo is 7/8" for three shots, ten shots groups grow to 1.5" to 1.625" however it wears a 1.25- 4 power GERMAN #4 reticle. I have to use 6" florescent targets.

Originally posted by duckslayer56 View Post
                  AGL, how does it group? I've got a couple winchester 94's in 44, but can't see at 100 yards very well with my crappy eyes anymore, so getting one with a scope may be in the near future. I suppose I could get glasses, but I'd always forget wear them.

Comment

Don't forget the Ruger 44 mag semi auto:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=425511701

A very cool little gun.

Comment

The goal with this is not to debate other options to a 44. I have a couple of 44 handguns and having a rifle that takes the same ammo is to me the smart thing. I'm talking about reliability, speed, PROS & CONS of one model lever over another or one Model bolt over the other but the main question is

"BOLT or LEVER" and which make and model of that. Also the reasons that justifies the answer. Is the speed of a lever a better idea or is there a lever out there that "NEVER FAILS" with any ammo you put in it to include heavier CAST. IS the old addage the the BOLT is almost as fast but will never fail at the moment of truth or when your life may depend on it.

I appreciate the input and please keep it coming.
                      Semper Fi and God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by GD Yankee View Post
                        Don't forget the Ruger 44 mag semi auto:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=425511701

A very cool little gun.
                        Yes, a very cool rifle. Kind of a big brother to the 10/22. I had a friend out near Dillingham who ended the exploits of several property destroying brownies with his .44 Ruger carbine. They have a good solid feel.

Comment

I will make this very simple........If your life depends on panic feeding a excessively cartridge into the chamber of a lever firearm, you are taking an foolish risk. Can it be done in the calm of a NON-panic environment........Kind'a, Maybe. The elevators were never intended to lift 300+ gr. bullets. When I carry my model 92' I put a 320 gr. HC FN COR-BON cartridge into the chamber, and put pointed nose plastic tipped cartridges in the magazine tube. I would much prefer the reliable feed of the second cartridge even if it is much lighter construction.

Because of the complex operating system and the harsh field conditions and risk of debris (Seeds, Leaves, Silt, Twigs, etc.) entering the lever action, I only carry my 92' when the preponderance of my field time will be above timberline. But there is no firearm that feels more perfect in the hand than a model 92' or simulator.

Comment

Ruger #3 if one at a time is ok and they shoot nice with loads they like. I have shot a Ruger 77-44 that shot bettter than needed for a hundred yard gun. That said at a hundred yards none really out shot my 9 1/2" SRH with 2X leupold.
                            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Well if it's a holy sh&* moment, a bear is about to eat me I think I would feel most comfortable with a 12 gauge with slugs. But I'm primarily a bird hunter, and I've pretty much been around shotguns since I was knee high to a duck. I'm just looking for something that may be a good round for deer within 75 yards that doesn't destroy a bunch of meat. I think a 44 mag would fit that bill very nicely.
                              Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                              "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                              I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X