Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REQUEST: Suggestions for restocking SA Model-70........Please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • REQUEST: Suggestions for restocking SA Model-70........Please

    I am requesting suggestions for a replacement stock for a SA model-70........please.
    "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

  • #2
    If you are looking for wood try http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

    I ordered a laminate for my Marlin XL-7 and was very happy with it.

    Comment


    • #3
      NO.......looking for NON-Wood.
      "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

      Comment


      • #4
        What contour barrel and what purpose?

        I have 3 Model 70s currently and they are all wearing McMillan handles. I've a Supergrade for my .416, a Hunter's Edge for a Featherweight contour and a Edge fill HTG for a carbon wrap barrel. Each has their place, though for a general purpose #2-3 contour I'd almost certainly use the McMillan Hunter style stock in standard fill with a gelcoat finish. I've used other synthetic stocks, but I've found McMillan is easily the best for lots of reasons. I'll try to post some pics in a bit.
        Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here is an interesting link on restocking Model 70's. Specifically, the Black Shadow which came with the FWT bbl contour I believe. May not match with what you are doing exactly, but might be a resource for figuring out which bottom metal and floorplate you have/need for the type of stocks available. I am looking to do just that with a Black Shadow that I recently picked up. Nice shooting rifle, but the stock is not growing on me and I dont care for the blind magazine.


          http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...omely-Firearms

          Heres a link to Stocky stocks, there is a pull down menu thing on there that will give you the different options they have available:

          http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...-64-One/Detail

          Comment


          • #6
            It is a stainless steel "Classic" Featherweight with 22" barrel, chamber is .243 Winchester.

            Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
            What contour barrel and what purpose?

            I have 3 Model 70s currently and they are all wearing McMillan handles. I've a Supergrade for my .416, a Hunter's Edge for a Featherweight contour and a Edge fill HTG for a carbon wrap barrel. Each has their place, though for a general purpose #2-3 contour I'd almost certainly use the McMillan Hunter style stock in standard fill with a gelcoat finish. I've used other synthetic stocks, but I've found McMillan is easily the best for lots of reasons. I'll try to post some pics in a bit.
            "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

            Comment


            • #7
              dang, if that wood stock becomes avail, let me know! I would like to have it.
              www.freightercanoes.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                It is a stainless steel "Classic" Featherweight with 22" barrel, chamber is .243 Winchester.
                I'd have a hard time undoing the Hunter's Edge on my FWT contour. Some think the comb is a bit low, but with 42mm and smaller scopes it's a non-issue. I'd have to check but my LA Model 70 FWT in 6.5x55 with a 6x42 Leupold in Talley LW rings (extra low, I think) and the Hunter's Edge stock weighs a few ounces shy of 7 pounds. 6 pounds 12 ounces jumps to mind, but I could be mistaken. You could go with the McMillan Hunter (standard fill-gelcoat) style stock for another 8-10 ounces for the different ergonomics. I've the Hunter Style on a Sako action and love it, but the Hunter's Edge is a really nice combination with the FWT barrel. McMillan has a little wait right now. I've had a stock on order since early December, but there is a reason that there is such a wait IMO and it's worth every minute......................
                Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Are you just lookig for a factory replacement that's not cut down? I believe I remember you saying you cut the original stock on that rifle, you can check out CDNN and get a factory synthetic for it. They also sell factory wood stocks on there too. That stainless 243 with a fwt wood stock on it would be a really good looking rifle.

                  Oooorrrr you could trade me your stainless one, for my brand new blued one.....
                  Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                  "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                  I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes, I shortened the LOP and did a temporary recoil pad. I was wanting a camo composite stock with the color in the stock as opposed to "on" the stock. At this point the cost of a McMillian is not justifiable, so it looks like the existing stock will get a rattle can paint job.

                    Originally posted by duckslayer56 View Post
                    Are you just lookig for a factory replacement that's not cut down? I believe I remember you saying you cut the original stock on that rifle, you can check out CDNN and get a factory synthetic for it. They also sell factory wood stocks on there too. That stainless 243 with a fwt wood stock on it would be a really good looking rifle.

                    Oooorrrr you could trade me your stainless one, for my brand new blued one.....
                    "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've got a Hogue overmolded camo stock for a SA feather weight...................

                      It's on a FN Winchester mod 70 .243.....1 piece bottom metal.. I'd sell it.........
                      "The older I get, the better I was."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have a Basners synthetic stock with a Confederate Grey finish on my .338 Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless. It is light weight compared to many synthetic stocks. It also has no checkering if that is an issue. I really like it, especially the way they contoured the forearm and they will put about any length of pull and recoil pad on it. You can order them as a finished stock or a do it your self stock. Is that McMillan Edge stock the one D'Arcy Echols designed? Heard good things about it also.

                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X