Thoughts on Win Model 70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Win Model 70

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Up until now I have been taking all of my alaskan game with either a 7mm-08 or 308 (for larger critters). While both of these calibers always pull through, I have been holding off on buying a magnum rifle for sometime now and really wanted to wait until I came across the right deal.

So... yesterday I spot a Win Model 70 in the ultimate shadow SS (300WM). Link for gun here.. http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535211

With a local special going on I can get the gun for $819 NIB, retail is $920. The problem is all of my research only pulls up the regular Featherweights. From what I can tell, the gun is very comparable to the Featherweights. Looks like the primary difference may be the stock difference.

My other option is Featherweight in 325WSM at Sportsman's, but I believe the price is a bit over a $1000. I have been swaying back and forth between the 2 calibers until my head hurts, so any thoughts/opinions are surely appreciated. Thanks

Mark
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

I also forgot to add that I do reload; which is one reason why the 325WSM appealed to me (I understand store bought rounds are limited in this caliber). Hopefully brass won't be to hard to find? Or possibly neck-up 300WSM...
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Comment

Originally posted by shimano 33 View Post
      I also forgot to add that I do reload; which is one reason why the 325WSM appealed to me (I understand store bought rounds are limited in this caliber). Hopefully brass won't be to hard to find? Or possibly neck-up 300WSM...
      My first thought after reading your initial post was answered on your second post. Knowing that you reload I'd buy the Featherweight 325WSM and not look back.

There is one other option and it's something that i'm in the process of now and that is to take either of the rifles that you have now and rebore to 358 Winchester. However if I lived up there I would just get the 325WSM.

Comment

I'm with EKC on the 358 Winchester, 7mm08 and 308 are so close . . . turn your 308 into a 358 Winchester and you don't need a magnum at all.

I am no fan of the WSMs but you need more caliber, you have .284” and .308” now I’d take the 325wsm over just a faster 308.
        Andy
        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
        Call/Text 602-315-2406
        Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Now decisions decisions...

Comment

I have had good luck getting brass for .325. I wish there was better inventory of bullets at the local stores though.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
            Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
              I have had good luck getting brass for .325. I wish there was better inventory of bullets at the local stores though.

Where are you buying it from? (if you don't mind me asking) Or are you referring to range pickup?

Comment

I have got some at swh and three bears in kenai.

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Rumor has it that winchester has stopped production on the 325 WSM. I guess they sell in AK, but not doing so well everywhere else. Might want to grab it while it's there.
                  Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                  "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                  I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

I thought you would never ask. The best feature the Mod. 70 ever had was the original trigger, not the trigger they are currently making. The old trigger was the best big game rifle trigger made. The controlled round feed with the big claw extractor makes many of us feel warm and fuzzy. But thousands of hunters do fine with out controlled round feed. I have owned a few pre-64 rifles and still have a couple, all worked wonderfully. Yes, the way they funnel gas if a case let go needs improvement. Since I only hunt with brass that has been fired 3 times or less and don't know any one eyed Mod. 70 shooters and use reasonable powder charges it is not an issue for me. My custom .338 was built from a "Classic Stainless" Mod. 70. The "Classic Stainless" or "Classic" is probably the best Mod. 70 made and you can find them on the internet at used gun sales at times. They also can be improved with spring steel magazine follower springs and extractors and pinning and welding the bolt collar. The potential for a very good rifle is there. As for calibers, the 30-06, .300 and .338 Win. Mag. all work great with the great bullets we can get.

Comment

shimano,
                      While I don't live in Alaska, I have had many great trips to your State. The only reason you may need a "magnum" would be for interior brown bear and the larger version on Kodiak. As you are holding out for a deal, I would opt for the 300WM. I have had both the 300WM and the 325WSM and hand loaded for them. The 300WM will be around forever but the 325WSM will become more obscure meaning brass availability would be a concern. Yes you could stockpile and be set but the 300WM will never have that problem. In fact it still outsells the 300WSM according to industry statements. A 200gr. Partition in a 300WM is formable brownie medicine as well as for moose. There are no accuracy concerns for either cartridge but component concerns would be an ongoing issue for the 325WSM. The latest move for Winchester to have their Model 70's become assembled in Portugal angers some but Browning has done that for many years.

I contend that the the 300WM gives you more versatility than the 325WSM which is slowly becoming a bit of a collector cartridge. While the 358Win sounds interesting, it has struggled for survival since its inception in 1955. Components here become an issue too. I'd save the gunsmithing bill and shoot a 180gr. Protected Partition in my .308Win.

Anyway good luck. Its always interesting when thinking about a new cartridge/rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by knikglacier View Post
                        While the 358Win sounds interesting, it has struggled for survival since its inception in 1955. Components here become an issue too.
                        Components are never an issue with 358 Winchester, factory ammo sure but not components. 308W or 7.62 brass is as common as brass gets and it takes nothing to neck it of fire form it. .358 bullets are plentiful and easy to find, lately a lot easier than .308 bullets with the shortages. 358 Winchester kills every bit as well and likely better at real world Alaska big ranges than does a 300WM without bloodshoting half a moose. 358 Win and 35 Whelen are the ones I build over and over for Alaskans than hunt a lot, there is a reason . . . it don’t need to be called “magnum” or travel a million mile an hour to kill big tough critters.
                        Andy
                        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                        Call/Text 602-315-2406
                        Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by ADfields View Post
                          . . . it don’t need to be called “magnum” or travel a million mile an hour to kill big tough critters.
                          ...'nuff said.
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by knikglacier View Post
                            shimano,
                            While I don't live in Alaska, I have had many great trips to your State. The only reason you may need a "magnum" would be for interior brown bear and the larger version on Kodiak. .
                            Hmmmmmm......and all this time I thought they called "interior" brown bears grizzlies........lol

The only reason I ever bought my 8mag back in the 80s was because I was to go on a brown bear hunt here on the Kenai. I figured I might be a little under gunned with my 308...
                            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys! I was extra nice to the O'l lady this morning and told her I needed a "few things" from SW…..and walked out with the 325WSM! Found the dies I needed and some H4350 to start off with. Now to see if I can find some 200gr. Accubonds..

Click image for larger version

Name:	325WSM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	2491900

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X