X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunken_Duncan
    replied
    Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I don't think I'll be working in retail and I don't see myself as a janitor with a Master's Degree-mostly because no janitorial company would hire me. I was passed over for a part time position at Bass Pro last year, and I didn't even bother to apply at Cabela's. Why do they want to hire someone with a Master's Degree who, in their mind, will jump ship the first "real" job that comes around? Why should I give up every single summer weekend in Alaska to work at a sporting goods (or other) retailer when I can continue to sub teach and have summers and weekends off? (Admittedly at much less pay than even a p/t retail job.) It has been my experience over the past 3 years (since graduating with my MA) that if I put my degree on my resume, they are not interested. If I don't mention the degree, I have to explain where I've been working the past 2-3 years. Even before grad school, I applied at AK Air as an A&P mechanic, and the second interview was going fine until the chief steward of the union discovered I had a bachelor's degree, at which point he completely torpedoed me with a barrage of questions around the main idea of "why would you want to work here if you have a degree?" So, yeah, even applying for a job on the slope I think will be a "unique" challenge.

We're getting ready to move all the jobs in my group off the slope and to be Anchorage based positions. Quite a few of my non-Alaskan resident employees are resigning for other positions since they're not looking to move to Anchorage. I've been interviewing a few people around here and I'm amazed at how many can't draw connections from their daily life and apply it to the questions we're asking.

So be on the look out and don't be afraid to apply for something you don't think your qualified for! You may just be the best candidate.

Leave a comment:

• ADfields
    replied
    I looked this up today. It's Article 9 (not 8) that establishes the PFD, and it states that all earnings from the fun be deposited into the general fund unless otherwise provided by law. So yeah, all it will take is for the state legislature to pass a bill that otherwise provides by law the elimination of the PFD.
    As I understand it they must pass a law every year in order to pay that year's PFD to the shairholders (us) . . . So all they got to do is nothing and all the money stays in the State's checking account. Of corse they would get hung for it by the voters. But that is the PFD, the fund itself is another matter.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Does anyone know what legal maneuvering would be required for "them" (whoever "they" are) to eliminate the PFD? The PFD, itself, is not specifically listed in Article 8, but at this point in time, it would appear, at least to me, that eliminating the PFD would violate Article 8, if in spirit if not in letter.

I see the PFD as the sort of "Third Rail" of Alaska politics. I suspect the first legislator or governor to publicly advocate fr elimination of the PFD woul be made a martyr the very next election cycle. I could be wrong.
    I looked this up today. It's Article 9 (not 8) that establishes the PFD, and it states that all earnings from the fun be deposited into the general fund unless otherwise provided by law. So yeah, all it will take is for the state legislature to pass a bill that otherwise provides by law the elimination of the PFD.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Good idea looking elsewhere if your chosen career doesn't pan out.
    Really to get a slope job right now all you need to know is righty tighty lefty loosey and/or which end of the shovel goes down.
    Seriously you only need a NSTC card and the companies will give you that and whatever else you need post hire.
    They are hiring from janitors and housekeeping all the way up to the high paying skills and degrees required managers and engineers and everything inbetween.
    I know a guy from another forum who moved up from Wisconsin last fall and is now a Cabelas manager. Granted he had managerial experience at another big chain.
    A friends brother just hired on in the inlet on a platform job working one and one.
    There really is a lot going on in AK right now in many sectors.
    If you look you will find something that pays halfway decent and has insurance and a 401k with employer matching funds etc.
    Don't loose hope.
    I don't think I'll be working in retail and I don't see myself as a janitor with a Master's Degree-mostly because no janitorial company would hire me. I was passed over for a part time position at Bass Pro last year, and I didn't even bother to apply at Cabela's. Why do they want to hire someone with a Master's Degree who, in their mind, will jump ship the first "real" job that comes around? Why should I give up every single summer weekend in Alaska to work at a sporting goods (or other) retailer when I can continue to sub teach and have summers and weekends off? (Admittedly at much less pay than even a p/t retail job.) It has been my experience over the past 3 years (since graduating with my MA) that if I put my degree on my resume, they are not interested. If I don't mention the degree, I have to explain where I've been working the past 2-3 years. Even before grad school, I applied at AK Air as an A&P mechanic, and the second interview was going fine until the chief steward of the union discovered I had a bachelor's degree, at which point he completely torpedoed me with a barrage of questions around the main idea of "why would you want to work here if you have a degree?" So, yeah, even applying for a job on the slope I think will be a "unique" challenge.

Leave a comment:

• bushrat
    replied
    Originally posted by Smitty of the North
    I am definitely NOT a Liberal or a Progressive. I hold a couple of views that are often associated with the Liberal point of view.

Really? Such as?

I mean, since this is really concern trolling, I just had to ask <grin>.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    WINNER!!!!! LOLOLOL You're right, they sure ain't hiring social studies teachers, and in all fairness, no district is. True the slope is hiring, but that requires a specific skill set (that I don't have) that only a minority of folks have. Everybody can't work on the slope, but in Alaska, the slope is the only place hiring. (Which is better than the Lower 48 where NO ONE is hiring.)

PS: I am starting to look for slope or elsewhere jobs. There just isn't a lot you can do with history and education degrees-even at the master's level. I'm taking this summer off as (hopefully/sadly) my last summer off as a teacher, and, in the fall, I hope to find work outside of education. That's just another dream unfulfilled. (A very costly one.)
    Good idea looking elsewhere if your chosen career doesn't pan out.
    Really to get a slope job right now all you need to know is righty tighty lefty loosey and/or which end of the shovel goes down.
    Seriously you only need a NSTC card and the companies will give you that and whatever else you need post hire.
    They are hiring from janitors and housekeeping all the way up to the high paying skills and degrees required managers and engineers and everything inbetween.
    I know a guy from another forum who moved up from Wisconsin last fall and is now a Cabelas manager. Granted he had managerial experience at another big chain.
    A friends brother just hired on in the inlet on a platform job working one and one.
    There really is a lot going on in AK right now in many sectors.
    If you look you will find something that pays halfway decent and has insurance and a 401k with employer matching funds etc.
    Don't loose hope.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I don't know where you are looking but our jobs market right now is really really good.
    We are hiring a lot on the slope and they are also hiring a lot in the inlet.
    This new tax structure is so much better than Aces that I have seen a lot of job creation first hand. Some good New oil wells also.
    I know guys who got jobs right out of jail.
    I have talked to guys online who just moved here this winter and they found decent jobs right away also.
    About the only thing AK is not hiring is social studies teachers.lol
    Those who are looking and have a halfway decent resume plus can pass the drug test should not have trouble finding work now or in the next couple of years.
    We can't even spend what they want us to on the slope right now cause we can't feed and house all the workers to do all the capital projects.
    WINNER!!!!! LOLOLOL You're right, they sure ain't hiring social studies teachers, and in all fairness, no district is. True the slope is hiring, but that requires a specific skill set (that I don't have) that only a minority of folks have. Everybody can't work on the slope, but in Alaska, the slope is the only place hiring. (Which is better than the Lower 48 where NO ONE is hiring.)

PS: I am starting to look for slope or elsewhere jobs. There just isn't a lot you can do with history and education degrees-even at the master's level. I'm taking this summer off as (hopefully/sadly) my last summer off as a teacher, and, in the fall, I hope to find work outside of education. That's just another dream unfulfilled. (A very costly one.)

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Originally posted by Corpsman View Post
    We should see it coming, they'll take away the PFD before they would tax us. Well a government that isn't bass ackwards anyway.
    Does anyone know what legal maneuvering would be required for "them" (whoever "they" are) to eliminate the PFD? The PFD, itself, is not specifically listed in Article 8, but at this point in time, it would appear, at least to me, that eliminating the PFD would violate Article 8, if in spirit if not in letter.

I see the PFD as the sort of "Third Rail" of Alaska politics. I suspect the first legislator or governor to publicly advocate fr elimination of the PFD woul be made a martyr the very next election cycle. I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Originally posted by Tearbear View Post
    And here I always thought that a Church & it's Pastor were tax exempt...am I wrong about that? What a way to avoid paying taxes altogether.
    I'm actually not 100% certain about that. I know that chuch properties and incomes through donations (tithes etc) are exempt, but I'm not sure if the pastor's personal income (from the church) is exempt. Likewise, I do know-for sure-that church income NOT from donations IS NOT tax exempt. My small church back in FL once rented a room to a member for use as an office space, and they had to report that as taxable income. So there are some gray areas in there, though they are uncommon circumstances. In the case I described earlier, that may have applied to his income prior to becoming a pastor, I"m really not certain about the timeline of his life.

But the point of my statement was to illustrate that, if you REALLY REALLY don't want to pay taxes, they are ways around it, IF you're willing to make the sacrifice.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty of the North
    replied
    Originally posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Talk about a off the rails thread. Good work Smitty looks like you've got 10 fish in the box. What lure and how deep?
    I'm very versatile.

Smitty of the North

Leave a comment:

• Tearbear
    replied
    And here I always thought that a Church & it's Pastor were tax exempt...am I wrong about that? What a way to avoid paying taxes altogether.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    The job market, and future job creation in Alaska is SO BAD these days that I just don't even worry about finding or having a job, hence taxes on wages are a non issue for me.
    I don't know where you are looking but our jobs market right now is really really good.
    We are hiring a lot on the slope and they are also hiring a lot in the inlet.
    This new tax structure is so much better than Aces that I have seen a lot of job creation first hand. Some good New oil wells also.
    I know guys who got jobs right out of jail.
    I have talked to guys online who just moved here this winter and they found decent jobs right away also.
    About the only thing AK is not hiring is social studies teachers.lol
    Those who are looking and have a halfway decent resume plus can pass the drug test should not have trouble finding work now or in the next couple of years.
    We can't even spend what they want us to on the slope right now cause we can't feed and house all the workers to do all the capital projects.

Leave a comment:

• Corpsman
    replied
    We should see it coming, they'll take away the PFD before they would tax us. Well a government that isn't bass ackwards anyway.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    There are ways to legally avoid paying taxes for purposes of protest, but it requires self sacrifice. For example, the pasor of my church doesn not want his tax dollars to pay for war, so for most of his adult life, he has intentionally kept his wages at such a low level, that he simply is not required to pay a tax. Essentially, he has NO taxable income, subsequently, he gives no financial support to the government. Then again, re rents an apartment with a roommate and drives a 20 yr old car.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Originally posted by ADfields View Post
    Income tax may well be un-constructional, though not seen that way by the courts
    The 16th amendment makes it constitutional. Remember, the US Supreme Court is the SOLE arbiter of what is or is not constitutional.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X