Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smitty of the North
    replied
    For a FAST Turtle, he'd need bout .012, but for a normal speed turtle, bout .006

Turtle are cold-blooded, so the temp has an effect on the turtle's speed. A warm turtle can be a fast turtle. A cold turtle is half fast.

Smitty of the North

Leave a comment:

• elmerkeithclone
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokey View Post
    EKC, how much lead do you place on a turtle anyways?
    Depends on the turtle!

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Whats all this Chrony talk. I use a stop watch. After I pull the trigger I open my cell phone turn on the stop watch feature and hit go. If the critter falls over dead within a minute I figure I have them loaded about right. I don't use a Chrony much anymore because I have my loads memorized and since I can't zactly trust my memory I have a pretty good notebook too. I do borrow a Chrony now and again when they come out with another later greater powder that I think that I can't live without.

One thing to remember( maybe was mentioned as I read through this thread in a hurry) no two guns will reach the same velocity with a given load. I have an old Ruger 77 in 243 that I have taken to prairie dog towns, shot coyotes with, shot dirt clods with, traded and got back. This old gun is on barrel number two and needs the pipe replaced again. It shoots at least 200 fps slower than either my newer 77 or an old but clean Remington 700ADL with the exact same load. If grandpa's gun got passed on for a couple generations and grandson was new to shooting and took up reloading then he'd be better off not to have a Chrony because he very likely is going to do something dumb by trying to reach a certain velocity with a gun that just won't do it anymore.
    I am so far removed from the velocity game any more. For instance my 308 target gun likes Benchrest powder. The Lyman book calls for 44 grains, the side of the bottle says 43 grains for the Sierra 155 Match BTHP that I shoot. I'm using Lake City Match grade brass and I load less than 40 grains and at that the primers are showing some signs that could be determined to mean the pressure was high. Thats because i'm using the very soft Remington 9 1/2 primer and they flatten out way before a CCI would. If I do my part on a calm day this rifle will shoot 1/4 inch groups(I seldom do my part anymore...dang it). Velocity is probably 2600 or a tad under from the 20 inch barrel. I would take this gun elk hunting in a heartbeat as the Sierra match bullet is of about the same construction as their Game King bullet and they perform similarly on the stuff that Ive shot up with them! I'm 200 fps slower then the average 308 load shooting a similar bullet but I have no doubt that I could make the bullet land where I want it to land and that is first and foremost in my book.
    EKC, how much lead do you place on a turtle anyways?

Leave a comment:

• elmerkeithclone
    replied
    Whats all this Chrony talk. I use a stop watch. After I pull the trigger I open my cell phone turn on the stop watch feature and hit go. If the critter falls over dead within a minute I figure I have them loaded about right. I don't use a Chrony much anymore because I have my loads memorized and since I can't zactly trust my memory I have a pretty good notebook too. I do borrow a Chrony now and again when they come out with another later greater powder that I think that I can't live without.

One thing to remember( maybe was mentioned as I read through this thread in a hurry) no two guns will reach the same velocity with a given load. I have an old Ruger 77 in 243 that I have taken to prairie dog towns, shot coyotes with, shot dirt clods with, traded and got back. This old gun is on barrel number two and needs the pipe replaced again. It shoots at least 200 fps slower than either my newer 77 or an old but clean Remington 700ADL with the exact same load. If grandpa's gun got passed on for a couple generations and grandson was new to shooting and took up reloading then he'd be better off not to have a Chrony because he very likely is going to do something dumb by trying to reach a certain velocity with a gun that just won't do it anymore.
    I am so far removed from the velocity game any more. For instance my 308 target gun likes Benchrest powder. The Lyman book calls for 44 grains, the side of the bottle says 43 grains for the Sierra 155 Match BTHP that I shoot. I'm using Lake City Match grade brass and I load less than 40 grains and at that the primers are showing some signs that could be determined to mean the pressure was high. Thats because i'm using the very soft Remington 9 1/2 primer and they flatten out way before a CCI would. If I do my part on a calm day this rifle will shoot 1/4 inch groups(I seldom do my part anymore...dang it). Velocity is probably 2600 or a tad under from the 20 inch barrel. I would take this gun elk hunting in a heartbeat as the Sierra match bullet is of about the same construction as their Game King bullet and they perform similarly on the stuff that Ive shot up with them! I'm 200 fps slower then the average 308 load shooting a similar bullet but I have no doubt that I could make the bullet land where I want it to land and that is first and foremost in my book.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Thanks Smokey:

I align my chrony by mounting it on a tri-pod. Each place and each time it's different terrain. I don't think my tri-pod would support an idea such as that.

Still, I think you have an excellent idea there, if I could somehow use it.

How do you adjust the height for your chrony using that housing?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Smitty,
    Since I own the property my range is on I have made several small tables and set them at marked yardages to hold targets. I also use one of the tables to hold the chrony and simply stack some 2x12 scraps under it when needed...

Leave a comment:

• Nitroman
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Figure out a way to heat it so the chrony will work at -20, and you'll really be cooking with gas!
    You wrap a handwarmer around the battery and secure with a rubber band. Works perfectly.

Here is a thread I posted a few months ago. This will show you why it is nice to have a good chronogrpah and PressureTrace.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lts?highlight=

I posted up more screenshots of the pressure curves with velocities listed. You can do an advanced search using my username to find them.

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    Originally posted by sep View Post
    I called Pact and they told me it would be difficult to get the chronograph to work well in interior Alaska because of the angle of the sun on the horizon in the summer.
    Did you inform them that, in the summer, the sun was high in the sky about 18 hours a day in most of Alaska?

Leave a comment:

• sep
    replied
    Like some others here I too use a chronograph for load development. I've had a Chrony, Pact PC2,a CED Millenium II and a magnetospeed V2. The cool thing about the magnetospeed is it doesn't rely on optical sensors and light. The device is strapped to your gun barrel and the bayonet senses the difference in the magnetic field as your bullet passes over it.

I've had velocity variations of 100 fps with my Pact PC2. I called Pact and they told me it would be difficult to get the chronograph to work well in interior Alaska because of the angle of the sun on the horizon in the summer.

The downside to the Magnetospeed is you have to be able to strap it to the end of your barrel. That rules out some handguns and obviously arrows won't be measurable for any bowhunters out there. Depending on who you believe, the group size will allegedly stay the same but the point of impact will change with the Magnetospeed strapped to your barrel. So, you would need to sight in the rifle separately. I haven't tested that myself because I only use it to find the max load based on velocity and once I know that I load more up and shoot some groups to test accuracy.

Here's a link to the Magnetospeed for those who may be interested. http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I still think the best chronograph has not yet been made. What we need is a simple device you lay on the ground in front of your shooting position and it emits a curtain of detection several feet wide and six feet high and you simply shoot through it. I've been pondering how to make that a reality.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty of the North
    replied
    Thanks Smokey:

I align my chrony by mounting it on a tri-pod. Each place and each time it's different terrain. I don't think my tri-pod would support an idea such as that.

Still, I think you have an excellent idea there, if I could somehow use it.

How do you adjust the height for your chrony using that housing?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    My conundrum here is summers are short; there's work to be done and a years income to be earned. Winters are long; there's lots of time to shoot, but LCD screens and battery powered electronics don't function so well...

Your box is a great idea for times/climes of warm/wet/windy tho!
    If it were me I would send mom out for a walk and then prop open the kitchen winders and set the chrony in the winder sill and crack off a couple if'n I really had to know the FPS of a particular load...:think:

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokey View Post
    Sir, I would be more worried my face would break apart shooting targets at minus twenty - eeek! My plans are to have my freezer already filled long before it gets THAT chilly!
    My conundrum here is summers are short; there's work to be done and a years income to be earned. Winters are long; there's lots of time to shoot, but LCD screens and battery powered electronics don't function so well...

Your box is a great idea for times/climes of warm/wet/windy tho!

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Figure out a way to heat it so the chrony will work at -20, and you'll really be cooking with gas!
    Sir, I would be more worried my face would break apart shooting targets at minus twenty - eeek! My plans are to have my freezer already filled long before it gets THAT chilly!

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Here ya go Smitty, found a few minutes today to snap a couple pics. I used 2 - 2x12's - 18in long and some scrap 5/4 boards 20in long. This was a prototype so fit is rough but works very good. I painted the bottom of the top board with white enamel paint for background and seems to do the job. For me this makes a good solid setup to shoot through and support my chrony. Not something you want to lug around far but it may give you some ideas to create your own? Beats the flimsy antenna thingy's to set up and blow apart!

Leave a comment:

• Cast Iron
    replied
    Most all bullets are designed to work best at a certain velocity. I use my chrony for checking to see my bullet speed is within the speed I want it in. I have been loading since early 70's and bought my chrony in late 80's or early 90's. I worked up a load in 7mm Rem Mag with a 140 gr. bullet years ago that has been excellent for deer, and I have shot it in several rifles with good results. I purchased a 7mm STW and tried this bullet and it would not work at all. The bullet would blow up on contact at the speed of the 7mm STW. Also when working up loads I want as little spread as possible in my loads. The more consistent your loads are usually the more accurate they are. I also get a average velocity of my loads to use as a starting point to see where my loads will hit down range.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X