Suppressor (Silencer) Brand Choice for Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppressor (Silencer) Brand Choice for Hunting

I'm starting the process of getting a suppressor or silencer for hunting and target shooting purposes, and I am overwhelmed by suppressor manufacturers... most of which seem way too tactical for my purpose. Can anyone point me to a small number of suppressor manufacturer recommendations, which ones work the best in a hunting and target shooting situation?

I always though silencers were illegal for hunting. Something change?

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

What caliber/s are you looking to suppress? Different companies make good ones for different purposes.

Comment

Only if you get caught........

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
        I always though silencers were illegal for hunting. Something change?
        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

I always thought they were illegal also but a search through the regs doesn't mention it. There is no reason they should be illegal.
          Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

Poaching.................

Originally posted by alaskabliss View Post
            There is no reason they should be illegal.
            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
              Do you think that if suppressors were to be declared illegal in Alaska, the incidence of poaching would decrease:confused:
              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                I think poaching would be illegal whether you have a silencer or not.

Comment

Supposedly it is legal in some states. Commiefornia and Fascist New York you can hold your hand on your butt. Here is the best site I could find on the issue.
                  http://www.silencerresearch.com/Silencerguide.pdf

Patriot Life Member NRA
                  Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                  Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Buy a cheap one..not much difference in actual field performance. The expensive ones are like designer jeans, cost more but Carhartts work just as well.
                    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comment

Go talk with Steve at Alaska Tactical on Muldoon, he can walk you through it.
                      Which can is "not so tactical" doesn't matter. They have a simple job to do and these days they are all so similar it doesn't really matter which brand. There may be warranty differences to consider but the rest is fluff. I look at weight and $

Comment

Originally posted by kubs View Post
                        Go talk with Steve at Alaska Tactical on Muldoon, he can walk you through it.
                        Which can is "not so tactical" doesn't matter. They have a simple job to do and these days they are all so similar it doesn't really matter which brand. There may be warranty differences to consider but the rest is fluff. I look at weight and $
                        Exactly what kubs said! Steve will talk you through the +/- of them and then go from there. He will have some on hand to look at. Just like guns and rods you can spend a lot or less...

Comment

I've been a bit interested in one. A friend of mine in England reports it's considered essential and nearly every centerfire rifle has one over there.

I watched some video of him shooting his .270 with the suppressor fitted... not as loud as a plain muzzle but still pretty darn loud.
                          "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                            I've been a bit interested in one. A friend of mine in England reports it's considered essential and nearly every centerfire rifle has one over there.

I watched some video of him shooting his .270 with the suppressor fitted... not as loud as a plain muzzle but still pretty darn loud.
                            Silencers on High-Powered rifles don't really "Silence" as the speed of the bullet causes a loud "crack"
                            If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Comment

Supressors are required in some countries/areas. They are favored in populated areas and in Africa because it aids the PH in hearing the hit.
                              They make alot of sense to protect hearing so you don't end up like me, hearing loss and hearing aids and getting worse with age. Funny they make us wear seatbelts but we can' t protect our hearing because someone MIGHT break the law.
                              When I was looking at New Zealand for hunting, I can carry my gun into a shop, and $700 later walk out with a supressor, barrel threaded ready to shoot. Not in this country, 6-8 month wait and $3000 later..... under suspicion becuase I followed the law...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X