Prepping for Blaser field repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping for Blaser field repairs

The idiotic lever gun thread in the Hunting forum got me thinking about my latest acquisition, a Blaser R8. I've had it for a few months now and used the .223 barrel on a few foxes, but I haven't taken it on any big game hunts. I got to thinking about what could go wrong with it when I'm out hunting. Has anyone who owns a Blaser had any problems in the field in Alaska's harsh conditions? How did you fix it? Any recommendations for tools or spare parts?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I've put thousands of rounds through my blasers without any issues. I honestly don't know of anyone who has broken one yet with factory ammo. All you need is your blaser wrench to change barrels.

Comment

In general the Blasers seem to be pretty reliable and hence trouble free in the field. I know of only one person that has had a problem and it wouldn't have been field repairable - some how he seems to have gotten a barrel obstruction which he didn't realize .... before he fired his rifle!! I have been told they are the most popular rifle in Europe.....don't lose your barrel wrench!!
      "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

You want to have a nylon punch in your field gear in case you get a case stuck. Need that punch to get the bolt housing back. I have had it happen once or twice, my fault, bad sizing job.

Comment

Can you explain the process for using the punch? Are talking about something similar to running a cleaning rod down the barrel to pop out a stuck case?

Comment

Easy. Get a stuck live round, you just put the punch on the top of the bolt housing and tap gently while exerting back pressure on the bolt handle.

Comment

Ok, gotcha.

I wonder if something along the M-16 removal of a stuck case by grabbing the charging handle and smacking the butt on the ground would work for the Blaser too?

Comment

Probably...although I dont know If I would be slamming the butt of a $45,000 Imperial on the ground

Comment

I have had good luck with removing stuck rounds in Blasers, by placing the butt of the rifle on the ground, take a kneeling position, and pushing down firmly on the bolt handle with the palm of your hand, until it clears the round. Never had it fail yet. If your rifle is a 45,000 Imperial, place some clean padding on the ground.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X