My first center fire rifle goes on a diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first center fire rifle goes on a diet

When I was 13 years old my dad bought me a Remington Model 7 in .308. Since then I have shot many moose, caribou, and even a couple grizzly bears with it. Around 21 years old I got bit by the magnum bug and the rifle seldom got used, until I got married. Now my wife uses this rifle exlusively has her hunting rifle. Originally I had the LOP cut down to 12.5 to better fit her with a limbsaver grind to fit. Since then she has taken a moose and a couple caribou with it and even a black bear.

I contemplated getting her a Kimber Montana in .308 like mine to lighten her load by a pound but had a hard time believing I could sell the rifle my pops bought me 14 years ago so I bit the bullet and picked up a McMillian Edge stock and dropped the rifles weight by 12 oz (original stock is 36 oz the MCM Edge is 24 oz both with limbsaver pads and sling studs).

So now I got the best of both worlds, my wife gets to keep the rifle she has grown to call "her own" (and I'll let her continue to think that) and I get to keep the rifle that my dad bought me in the family for as long as I care to while still dropping some weight off the model 7 platform.

Granted its still 5 oz heavier than the Kimber 84 Montana in .308 setup the same way with scope and rings (Kimber is 95 oz and Remington Model 7 100 oz on the nose) but the weight savings is nice and the rifle looks great and she couldn't be happier. Both are sweet little rifles and the ability to share ammo never hurts

To date it still has taken more big game animals than all my other rifles combined.

Here is a pic of what the rifle looked like before:

Here is what it looks like now:

Even got my wife to stop working on our new deck long enough to pose with her upgraded rifle:

Nice.........the rifle also is nice.
    "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

I like the tan Edge a lot. It's a nice setup. For around $30 you could lose another 1.5 ounces by switching to an aluminum bolt shroud (LINK). It's an easy swap if you have a spring compressor (I'll loan you mine if you'd like) and for the money the reduction in weight is much cheaper than the McMillan. It would get you with in a 1/4 pound of the Montana...

Regardless, I'm loving your Model 7.
      Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

How much $$$ did the diet plan cost? I would like to go a similar route with my boys rifle. Have you shot it yet? Any difference in recoil or accuracy?

Thanks

Comment

Awesome rig there Sir...

Steve
          "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Not needing the crutch will equal a pound saved
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Very nice, Luke! Is the POI still the same and did you bed the stock? Those McMillan EDGE stocks are the best out there, IMO. No other stock maker gives you the amount of options to choose or pick when ordering/building a stock. I got another one on the way now for my 7mm wsm and will post a picture as well...

Comment

Very well done - only thing I think is "pink" might have been a better color choice for the pretty lady!
                A great way to keep a cherished memory alive!
                When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                  Very nice, Luke! Is the POI still the same and did you bed the stock? Those McMillan EDGE stocks are the best out there, IMO. No other stock maker gives you the amount of options to choose or pick when ordering/building a stock. I got another one on the way now for my 7mm wsm and will post a picture as well...
                  Where do you buy them........?
                  "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                    Where do you buy them........?
                    From Rick (24hourcampfire.com). The price tag might or might not spook you, as they run ($$$) about the same price as what the average joe's rifle would cost...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      From Rick (24hourcampfire.com). The price tag might or might not spook you, as they run ($$$) about the same price as what the average joe's rifle would cost...
                      Thanks.....

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                        Very well done - only thing I think is "pink" might have been a better color choice for the pretty lady!
                        A great way to keep a cherished memory alive!
                        Nah,

She doesn't like pink for her hunting stuff....

Glad to give the heirloom a face lift and keep the gun around. While NOT cheap certainly worth the upgrade to keep the gun in the fam. If looking to just save weight out of the gate the Kimber Montana is impossible to beat bar none. If you can find another rifle that costs right at $1K for only 5 pounds 2 oz with CRF and 3 position safety let me know.

Comment

Your old rifle looks great Luke glad you decided to keep it in the family!
                          http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

You forgot the bolt fluting

Maybe northriver21 could weigh his SS Mod Seven bolt for us to see how much our bolts lost in weight after fluting...
                            The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
                            sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Originally posted by hunt_ak View Post
                              You forgot the bolt fluting

Maybe northriver21 could weigh his SS Mod Seven bolt for us to see how much our bolts lost in weight after fluting...
                              If you guys have a scale, then youíre welcome to compare them. My bathroom scale probably wouldnít work too well.

I did some research into the stocks, (since Lanche did not reply :nyanya: ) for the money I'm guessing he spent, I think we'll hold out for the 84M.

BTW hunt_ak, I got that little project done....Whew what a chore that was. I was in a hurry in case you guys called, but I guess it didnít work out. We'll try again some other time.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X