Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering Tradding off My Gun for This(savage)......

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Considering Tradding off My Gun for This(savage)......

    I have had my Rem 700 Ultra Mag for a few years now and has served me well. I bought it as a recommendation from my buddy. I have been happy with the performance for the most part.
    I didnt spend a fortune on the set up and I am considering another rifle after this season.
    I stumbled onto the
    Savage Bear Hunter in a WSM. I really liked another friends WSM and wouldn't mind owning one.
    These rifles come pretty well decked out as far as I can tell. I am unfamiliar with Savage as a company. Some hate em, some love em! Guess that goes with everything though.
    Do any of you guys have any experience with this particular rifle?
    It does weigh 7.5 lbs. That seems heavier than my RUM!
    I like the barrel, Trigger and overall length. This will be my one and only big game hunting rifle. If I ever draw a Bison or Kodiak tag I will justify another purchase. Surely this is enough gun for my needs. My RUM has carried it well so far.

    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=122512

  • #2
    Your .300 RUM is significantly more powerful than the .300 WSM. If you are looking for a bison or Kodiak brown bear rifle I would keep your RUM.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

    Comment


    • #3
      I am left handed and a cheap SOB. So Savage has been my brand since 1977. Never been dissatisfied with any of their guns. I have owned 3 110s and liked them all. Still own 2 and also own a model 11 in 300wsm. It is my go to rifle for most big game. Savage has an accu-trigger, an accu-stock, and they have an on/off muzzle brake.
      I like Savage.
      I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
      I have less friends now!!

      Comment


      • #4
        ust for the record, the(savage) Axis is 279 bucks at fred meyers
        Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

        Comment


        • #5
          7mmRUM .........

          7mmRUM reminds me af an anti-tank rifle round from the 30's when I have one in my hand.
          If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

          "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
            7mmRUM .........

            7mmRUM reminds me af an anti-tank rifle round from the 30's when I have one in my hand.
            Isn't it great?

            Comment


            • #7
              The word "Power" comes to mind

              Sometimes , you cant have too much, eh?



              I made a great trade inna blind last night ......

              Fellow pulls up with 2 Caribou in his broken sled and asks to use mine.....no problem. Then he shows us his rifle with the scopes front lens missin. 2 boxes of #2 3 inch 12gauge later, I have a weatherby Vanguard in .243w, with Luepode rings (the scope is toast) but no iron sights, so Im looking for more trade too.......
              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

              "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by powderhound View Post
                I have had my Rem 700 Ultra Mag for a few years now and has served me well. I bought it as a recommendation from my buddy. I have been happy with the performance for the most part.
                I didnt spend a fortune on the set up and I am considering another rifle after this season.
                I stumbled onto the
                Savage Bear Hunter in a WSM. I really liked another friends WSM and wouldn't mind owning one.
                These rifles come pretty well decked out as far as I can tell. I am unfamiliar with Savage as a company. Some hate em, some love em! Guess that goes with everything though.
                Do any of you guys have any experience with this particular rifle?
                It does weigh 7.5 lbs. That seems heavier than my RUM!
                I like the barrel, Trigger and overall length. This will be my one and only big game hunting rifle. If I ever draw a Bison or Kodiak tag I will justify another purchase. Surely this is enough gun for my needs. My RUM has carried it well so far.

                http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=122512
                IMO $940+ Savage is way too much for what you get. Others will disagree, but I'd go a different route if a WSM is a must have.
                Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I owned a 116ak savage in 338 for 15 years. I regret selling it every day. I do have first dibs on buying it back.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    $940 would get you into a used kimber montana in 300WSM, if WSM is what you're after.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      $650 will get you a tikka t3 .300 wsm.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
                        IMO $940+ Savage is way too much for what you get. Others will disagree, but I'd go a different route if a WSM is a must have.
                        Agree! Never owned a Savage center fire and not dissing them as everything I've read has been good, but... for $940 on a new rifle, I'd look at a Winchester Mod 70. I reckon your post suggests you are trading into the Savage though so maybe your not paying that much.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by northway View Post
                          $650 will get you a tikka t3 .300 wsm.
                          I have herd raving reviews of the T3 around here!
                          This savage comes with a fluted barrel and a muzzle break and a trigger. To me this seems like a killer deal when you can order this rifle for about $700 on the Internet. I was hoping someone around here has one, and could share a lil insight of this particular rifle.
                          Anyone out there own one?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by powderhound View Post
                            I have herd raving reviews of the T3 around here!
                            This savage comes with a fluted barrel and a muzzle break and a trigger. To me this seems like a killer deal when you can order this rifle for about $700 on the Internet. I was hoping someone around here has one, and could share a lil insight of this particular rifle.
                            Anyone out there own one?
                            Owning a rifle with a MUZZLE BRAKE, is not necessarily a good thing.
                            If you can't handle recoil, you need to either shoot more (to acclimate yourself) or go to a smaller caliber.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah, nothing positive to be found by having a muzzle brake on your rifle...

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X