350 RM and RL-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 RM and RL-15

Between the Handloading, Shooting, and Hunting forums, I have heard quite a bit about loading the 350 Rem Mag with RL-15. None of my manuals have data for RL-15. I guess I could just buy more manuals (never a bad option), but you guys seem a good source.

Anyone care to share some load data (starting) for the 350 RM in a Rem 600? I'm particularly interested in the Barnes 225 TSX, as I've had good results with them and RL-7. But I'm always interested in something better.

Mort

While I can't give a 100% recomendation, the 350 rem mag has nearly the same case capacity as the 35 whelen, and hence 35 whelen is a good source of data. That said, work up carefully.

I've used Varget with my 350 and 225 sierras, and find 59 gr to be a fine load. RL-15 should be in the same ballpark.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

I just bought some Varget, RL-15 and BLC-(2) for the 350 Rem Mag.
      I ran out of money before I could buy some WW-748 as well.

I found some loads for RL-15 but they seem pretty hot,,, well at least a lot of powder.... like up to 63 grains for a 225 grain Seirra bota tail

I will let you know how it works out.

I went through and looked at all the powders that should work in the 350 Rem Mag. (The original short action magnum)

Varget
      RL-15
      WW-748
      H-335
      IMR-4895
      IMR-4320
      IMR-4064
      BL-C(2)
      H-4895
      IMR-3031

All I currently have for primers is a filing cabinet drawer full of CCI mag and non-mag primers from back when Pay-Less went belly up years ago.
      I must have three thousand left over...
      I probably need to by some other primers just to see what difference it makes. Some folks get pretty attached to certain type (brands) of primers.
      Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
      Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Check out this guys web site. He seems to use a lot of RL-15

http://35cal.com/

Comment

I remember that pay-less sale, I still have a few boxes of .308 ammo from it.

I can't comment one way or the other on which primers are best, as there is only so much load testing I'm willing to do. Way beck when I started handloading I was trying everything in my .308, and compared CCI 300's to Fed 210's, and the feds showed a slight accuracy edge. Since then I've used Fed 210's exclusive for hunting loads burning 70 gr or less of powder and have yet to complain.

I did do one interesting primer test a few years back. I still have quite a few CCI 300's I got on sale and generally use for plinking cast loads. Well, traded into a Lyman 3589 mold, this casts a .358" 280 gr rn mold that is sadly discontinued, but a flawless performer in most every 35 caliber rifle. Anyhow, I just had to try some loads in my 350 Rigby, and after researching what the whelen folks were doing, tried to emulate them.

What the whelen folks have found is 40 gr RL 15 produces good accuracy at around 2000 fps, though note this is a reduced load. Well, I figured I'd start at 40 gr and work up. Turned out 44 gr was the magic load, and I shot my best ever cast bullet load, 5 shots into 1" at 100 yds. I was so excited I loaded up a full box to confirm the load next time at the range. Well low and behold I had worked up the load in the fall, and next time out was early winter. The temp had dropped some 20 degrees, just enough so that my magic load would hangfire, every shot.

This was no good, so I elected to try the same powder charge with every large primer I had, CCI 300, CCI 350, Fed 210 and Fed 215. You guessed all the other primers flawlessly ignited the loads, but groups were 2-3" for 5 shots, and the CCI 300's still hangfired.

I did prove to my satisfaction that the CCI 300 is a "cooler" primer than the fed 210's, but also my results show that doesn't equate to better or worse accuracy. It does prove the primer can have an effect, and that effect isn't the same from cartridge to cartridge, powder to powder, or even the same powder in the same cartridge with different bullets.

Thanks for that link, I didn't look too deep into the page, but I wonder if that is Ted in the Yukon? He's a big fan of the 35.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Comment

That is interesting.
            I never have had a CCI primer not work.

I wonder if it was an old tray of primers that may have been near some oil or gun solvent?

I have a few from the 1970s.... but most of those are pistol primers along with those old cans of Herco and Unique that say 1974 on the cans...
            Those were stored for years in a big 40mm ammo can. Maybe it would be ok for a bunch of light loads in 45 colt and 44 mag. I just can't bring myself to toss it yet....

I think I will look around for some newer primers. I tried to explain what I needed to my son over the phone, but he gets distracted within seconds...He is back from Iraq and all the gals have his attention....short as it is...

xx

Comment

350 Rm

The powder that I have used in 338-06, 358 Win and 350 RM and 35 Whel is

IMR 4320
              Alaska

Comment

It wasn't that the CCI's didn't work, it's just I was using such a mild load that they weren't hot enough to reliably spark off the load. Generally running a case 2/3 full of rifle powder can lead to less than desireable results, and that's what I got. Don't take that as a criticism of the CCI's, I was just using a bad combination.

Comment

Thanks

Now see, that's why I came to you guys! Thanks for all the inputs. Great links Float Pilot.

Mort

Comment

I have some Federal 215s coming down the hwy today and a can of WW-748. (for comparison)
                    So I can see happens with different primers too. The Winchester WLRs are supposedly the hottest primers, but I have not found any of those yet. Just my bizzillion CCI primers both mag and standard and 4 boxes of Fed 215s.

My powder scale is starting to have a hang-up point. I wonder if it was whacked around somehow...

xx

Comment

Case Capacity

Over the years the more space you fill up in the case the better the performance.....within pressure limit of course!
                      Alaska

Comment

Primers

It seems in my 350 mag the Fed 215GM or WLRM primers are the way to go!

I guess the Rem Mag primer would also work since it is a Rem round!

The WLRM seems to be hottiest primer.........

Reloder 15 is good powder also!
                        Alaska

Comment

I would love to report how my 350 rem Mag loads are doing..... but... the supposedly 3 or 4 day trip to the Smith for front sight installation has turned into a two month ordeal.....

Comment

35 Whel Loads

57.5 IMR 4895
                            Hornady 250 RN (#3525)
                            COAL 3.240
                            no crimp
                            2464, 2460, 2430, 2378, 2431fps,
                            ----ft.lbs
                            LR primer - prob. CCI 200 (?)
                            - a bit over classic Whelen velocities
                            - 1 3/8" 3 shot group
                            - feeds great!

56/IMR 4064
                            Hornady 250 SP
                            (#3520)
                            COAL 3.250
                            no crimp
                            2364, 2359, 2372, 2358, 2376, 2368, 2354, 2375, 2381, 2359fps,
                            fairly consistent
                            ----ft.lbs
                            OK pressure
                            1 1/8" 3 shot group

54/AA2015br
                            Hornady 250 SP
                            (#3520)
                            COAL 3.280
                            CCI 200
                            2562, 2547, 2539, 2551, 2547, 2543fps
                            3610 ft.lbs.
                            RP 30-06 brass